Lack of LTE, effect your decision?

zack125

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think 4G should be a make it or break it feature until at least 2013. By that time, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint should have (hopefully), 4G coverage in most large cities and the suburbs. At that time, the battery hit should be minimal thanks to improved technology, and more cell towers should have upgraded backhaul to actually provide "4G" speeds! I'm also hoping carriers won't stop developing their 3G networks, since when there is no 3G now, I can fall back to EDGE 2G in most places. It'd be nice to fall back on a developed 3G network when 4G is not available, rather than all the way to 2G!

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I could care less.

If I need speed, I'll use WIFI Routers/Hot Spots.

I look at 3G/4G etc.. as just a convenient way to access the internet on the run. Sure, faster is better. But I don't RELY on cellular data speed. It's just there if I need it.

Besides, AT&T is my carrier and they have the fastest "3.5G" network. It'll suffice.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine on 3G. Are you dissatisfied with the data speeds? If the answer is no, then why worry about LTE? A friend of mine is a Neurologist and tells me that both she and her Neurosurgery colleagues worry about these increasingly powerful networks and the risk of brain cancer.

There is always a limit to when more/faster/smaller/bigger etc means better.

I would go to a Neurologist for Neurology and Neurosurgery and look toward Epidemiologists, maybe Oncologists and appropriate statisticians for ties between LTE networks and cancer.

:)

kfreemanii

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
3g is still just fine and it across the US so just wait. 4g lte is not everywhere, it is very fast but the battery life dies really quick, my mom has the thunderbolt. you should wait for the nexus prime if you want to upgrade to 4g cause on the rumor real is that the battery is expected to be very good. waiting is your best option for now.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Why, the iPhone 4S, is said to be just as fast as a device on AT&T's 4G network. You should go for the iPhone 4S.

I'm on Verizon. And the iPhone 4S is not going to be as fast as 4G LTE. It goes faster on AT&T, so they're trying to spin it as a 4G phone. It's not. Waiting till next year.

dcsr23#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Lack of 4G was the reason I wouldn't burn one using an upgrade. The reason I couldn't use my iPhone 4 was because the 3G was so slow (Verizon). It's fine for anyone who just wants to surf the web, but when you want to stream stuff like Youtube, that is where 4G shines. Also I use my phone as a hotspot a lot and with Verizon's unlimited 4G hotspot for phones it's definitely not a feature I want to give up. So I'm keeping on the Android bandwagon for now, and will pick up a 4s on CL for the second line for my overseas travels. I expect a June update with 4G goodness anyway. Once drinking from the up to 22 Mbps speeds, it's hard to throttle down to 800-1.5 Mbps

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not in the least. I don't have LTE here and I don't expect it by the release of the iPhone 5 either. If it was here I would be tempted but not with the current hardware out. LTE needs slimmed down in power requirements as current phones are way to bulky and power hungry. By the time Android phones come out that are reasonable in those areas the tech will be where Apple will adopt it and the LTE powered iPhone won't be far behind. Some friends of mine have the Charge and it's massive, as in thickness. I had an EVO and I was fine with it's physical size, it's thickness I can't stand.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an Android device earlier, and good lord, I don't know if I'd want such a huge phone. Yeah, the screen is big, but who really needs that much real estate on the screen?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It positively effects my decision, actually...

The few LTE phones I've used (and heard about) have had abysmal battery life. I'd rather not have that problem on my iPhone! :)

Reactions: zackawee27

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I do happen to be in an excellent 4G coverage area. I have to admit that this has been a consideration for personally. However, since I have a rooted NS4G I can always just turn on the wifi tether and my son can just connect to that :D

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I do happen to be in an excellent 4G coverage area. I have to admit that this has been a consideration for personally. However, since I have a rooted NS4G I can always just turn on the wifi tether and my son can just connect to that :D

But, that would run you're battery down.

pb&J

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I would go to a Neurologist for Neurology and Neurosurgery and look toward Epidemiologists, maybe Oncologists and appropriate statisticians for ties between LTE networks and cancer.

:)

My information source gets her information from neuro oncologists at Harvard, and neurosurgeons at that same institution who remove tumors for a living. I'm pretty sure there's not much epidemiological data on cellular phones and cancer, and it's a hard thing to get such data on, so no real "proof" as it were. It's just anecdotal knowledge and opinions at this point, so take it or leave it. But it's from a source I personally trust, that's all. You don't know her or me, so I can understand your skepticism.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My information source gets her information from neuro oncologists at Harvard, and neurosurgeons at that same institution who remove tumors for a living. I'm pretty sure there's not much epidemiological data on cellular phones and cancer, and it's a hard thing to get such data on, so no real "proof" as it were. It's just anecdotal knowledge at this point, so take it or leave it. But it's from a source I personally trust, that's all. You don't know her or me, so I can understand your skepticism.

Various studies have been done showing cell phones and networks don't cause cancer or tumors. Just google it and you will see. Now lte networks idk about that but I am sure they are as safe as current networks.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2