I'm fine on 3G. Are you dissatisfied with the data speeds? If the answer is no, then why worry about LTE? A friend of mine is a Neurologist and tells me that both she and her Neurosurgery colleagues worry about these increasingly powerful networks and the risk of brain cancer.

There is always a limit to when more/faster/smaller/bigger etc means better.
    I would go to a Neurologist for Neurology and Neurosurgery and look toward Epidemiologists, maybe Oncologists and appropriate statisticians for ties between LTE networks and cancer.

10-12-2011 12:28 PM
    3g is still just fine and it across the US so just wait. 4g lte is not everywhere, it is very fast but the battery life dies really quick, my mom has the thunderbolt. you should wait for the nexus prime if you want to upgrade to 4g cause on the rumor real is that the battery is expected to be very good. waiting is your best option for now.
    10-12-2011 04:23 PM
    The lack of LTE is what kept me from going after an iPhone 4S.
    10-12-2011 05:29 PM
    The lack of LTE is what kept me from going after an iPhone 4S.
    Why, the iPhone 4S, is said to be just as fast as a device on AT&T's 4G network. You should go for the iPhone 4S.
    10-12-2011 05:32 PM
    Why, the iPhone 4S, is said to be just as fast as a device on AT&T's 4G network. You should go for the iPhone 4S.
    I'm on Verizon. And the iPhone 4S is not going to be as fast as 4G LTE. It goes faster on AT&T, so they're trying to spin it as a 4G phone. It's not. Waiting till next year.
    10-12-2011 05:37 PM
    Lack of 4G was the reason I wouldn't burn one using an upgrade. The reason I couldn't use my iPhone 4 was because the 3G was so slow (Verizon). It's fine for anyone who just wants to surf the web, but when you want to stream stuff like Youtube, that is where 4G shines. Also I use my phone as a hotspot a lot and with Verizon's unlimited 4G hotspot for phones it's definitely not a feature I want to give up. So I'm keeping on the Android bandwagon for now, and will pick up a 4s on CL for the second line for my overseas travels. I expect a June update with 4G goodness anyway. Once drinking from the up to 22 Mbps speeds, it's hard to throttle down to 800-1.5 Mbps
    10-12-2011 05:45 PM
    Nope, not in the least. I don't have LTE here and I don't expect it by the release of the iPhone 5 either. If it was here I would be tempted but not with the current hardware out. LTE needs slimmed down in power requirements as current phones are way to bulky and power hungry. By the time Android phones come out that are reasonable in those areas the tech will be where Apple will adopt it and the LTE powered iPhone won't be far behind. Some friends of mine have the Charge and it's massive, as in thickness. I had an EVO and I was fine with it's physical size, it's thickness I can't stand.
    10-12-2011 05:55 PM
    I picked up an Android device earlier, and good lord, I don't know if I'd want such a huge phone. Yeah, the screen is big, but who really needs that much real estate on the screen?
    10-12-2011 05:59 PM
    It positively effects my decision, actually...

The few LTE phones I've used (and heard about) have had abysmal battery life. I'd rather not have that problem on my iPhone!
    zackawee27 likes this.
    10-12-2011 06:04 PM
    It positively effects my decision, actually...

The few LTE phones I've used (and heard about) have had abysmal battery life. I'd rather not have that problem on my iPhone!
    Yeah, the supposed 4G is a really a battery killer.
    10-12-2011 06:09 PM
    I do happen to be in an excellent 4G coverage area. I have to admit that this has been a consideration for personally. However, since I have a rooted NS4G I can always just turn on the wifi tether and my son can just connect to that
    10-12-2011 06:20 PM
    I do happen to be in an excellent 4G coverage area. I have to admit that this has been a consideration for personally. However, since I have a rooted NS4G I can always just turn on the wifi tether and my son can just connect to that
    But, that would run you're battery down.
    10-12-2011 06:33 PM
    I would go to a Neurologist for Neurology and Neurosurgery and look toward Epidemiologists, maybe Oncologists and appropriate statisticians for ties between LTE networks and cancer.

My information source gets her information from neuro oncologists at Harvard, and neurosurgeons at that same institution who remove tumors for a living. I'm pretty sure there's not much epidemiological data on cellular phones and cancer, and it's a hard thing to get such data on, so no real "proof" as it were. It's just anecdotal knowledge and opinions at this point, so take it or leave it. But it's from a source I personally trust, that's all. You don't know her or me, so I can understand your skepticism.
    Last edited by pb&J; 10-12-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarification
    10-12-2011 06:40 PM
    My information source gets her information from neuro oncologists at Harvard, and neurosurgeons at that same institution who remove tumors for a living. I'm pretty sure there's not much epidemiological data on cellular phones and cancer, and it's a hard thing to get such data on, so no real "proof" as it were. It's just anecdotal knowledge at this point, so take it or leave it. But it's from a source I personally trust, that's all. You don't know her or me, so I can understand your skepticism.
    Various studies have been done showing cell phones and networks don't cause cancer or tumors. Just google it and you will see. Now lte networks idk about that but I am sure they are as safe as current networks.
    10-12-2011 06:43 PM
    Not it if the iphone is on wifi using the 4g from the nexus.
    10-12-2011 06:44 PM
    Not if you have a long usb cord
    10-12-2011 06:49 PM
    Not if you have a long usb cord
    Haha, I don't carry one around at work. I need to go home to charge my phone.
    10-12-2011 06:50 PM
    Haha, I don't carry one around at work. I need to go home to charge my phone.
    Good grief! How on earth do you post so fast???!
    10-12-2011 06:53 PM
    Good grief! How on earth do you post so fast???!
    Haha, I just do
    10-12-2011 06:56 PM
    Brain cancer is a rare occurrence, even with cell phones potentially increasing the risk. Even if cell phones, say, doubled the risk, the bump in the percentage of population who had brain cancer is so small that a ridiculously large sample size is needed to prove a causality, and even then it would be difficult. I am aware of studies showing a lack of causality, but I'm not always 100% convinced by studies, as science is not always perfect and certain things are hard to study. (This coming from a science geek)

To me, just because a link hasn't been proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am not adamantly saying that they do cause cancer, I'm just saying it's possible they do and it may be something to consider.

Here is a great summary of the evidence so far from the American Cancer Society if anyone is interested:
    Cellular Phones

I think we may just have to agree to disagree and move on, no harm done. Sorry to have hijacked this thread.
    10-12-2011 06:58 PM
    While it didn't effect my purchase (purchased a 4S for my wife) it would have been nice to have. I mean, the more features the better. I don't think AT&T (my carrier) charges extra for "4G" service on its phones like Sprint does so, bring on the LTE iPhone 5! That is, assuming, they don't begin to charge extra for an LTE iPhone!
    Ohh you bet they will...
    10-12-2011 06:59 PM
    Haha, I just do
    Lol I was wondering if you were man or machine!
    10-12-2011 06:59 PM
    Lol I was wondering if you were man or machine!
    Haha, how would I be a machine? Lmao.
    10-12-2011 07:00 PM
    Ohh you bet they will...
    Idk since apple will determine the prices the only way at&t could charge more is if they changed the plans, which I don't see them doing that since verizon will have a larger lte network and verizon does not charge extra for lte plans and that may cause some to leave at&t for verizon. That is the only good thing about the big 2 is they pretty much mirror eachother so neither has a real advantage to switch.
    10-12-2011 07:01 PM
    Haha, how would I be a machine? Lmao.
    You know, like having some kind of program that automatically responds to posts. I don't know how on earth you have so many posts in such a short period of time without being automated!
    10-12-2011 07:10 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD