With the Iphone4S processor being 800Mhz and 512 RAM, are you less pleased

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Also, maybe Apple uses the good kind of RAM. there was a big Russ about the Thunderbolt only having 512 RAM while while the ATT Attic had a gig or RAM. Turned out the Thunderbolt has a better quality RAM. Sorry, I do not remember what is called.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how many of you have experience with iOverclock and FakeClockUp. But iOverclock clocks the cpu up higher to what it can because all Iphones are underclocked for battery reasons. Than fakeclockup speeds up animations like loading screens and in and out of apps. Thes 2 mods together make the iphone4 lightning fast compared to not having them. Overclocking and underclocking a iphone has a very noticeable difference. The first app I download when i do a restore and jailbreak is these 2 apps. Battery life is probaly dropped 10% and is completely safe and with the advanced system app I used to have (can't remember the name) keeps track of the internal temperature on the iphone. The phone doesn't heat up at all. Basically my point is 800mghz vs 1ghz is noticeable. Alot more noticeable than 1ghz to 1.2ghz.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat every android I've owned they slow down over time maybe that is to make you keep up with the new releases every other week. I'll be picking up an 4s Friday I'm done playing the numbers game and being stuck without updates when it becomes available.

You do make a good point. Remember though, that Android is not limited to one manufacturer. There are constant releases of Android phones because there is a wide range of devices in various price ranges available. Some are obviously going to appear to be better than others. I admit that I don't know much about the iPhone and iOS but I can tell you that while there may be people who report random reboots I can honestly say that I have not had a single instance on my NS4G. Before that I had an LG Optimus (it was the right price... free) and it didn't do that either.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how many of you have experience with iOverclock and FakeClockUp. But iOverclock clocks the cpu up higher to what it can because all Iphones are underclocked for battery reasons. Than fakeclockup speeds up animations like loading screens and in and out of apps. Thes 2 mods together make the iphone4 lightning fast compared to not having them. Overclocking and underclocking a iphone has a very noticeable difference. The first app I download when i do a restore and jailbreak is these 2 apps. Battery life is probaly dropped 10% and is completely safe and with the advanced system app I used to have (can't remember the name) keeps track of the internal temperature on the iphone. The phone doesn't heat up at all. Basically my point is 800mghz vs 1ghz is noticeable. Alot more noticeable than 1ghz to 1.2ghz.

I can already tell that if I get an iP4S for myself I will jailbreak it. Rooting and modding is one thing I would miss by leaving Android.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I can already tell that if I get an iP4S for myself I will jailbreak it. Rooting and modding is one thing I would miss by leaving Android.

You cross over to the darkside, lol, and you will never go back. Themes alone make it worthwhile. Go to the jailbreak forums when you decide or send me a pm I will stear you straight. I can give you a list of the most popular jailbreak apps too. Just let me know.

Josh

Reactions: Mr609

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You cross over to the darkside, lol, and you will never go back. Themes alone make it worthwhile. Go to the jailbreak forums when you decide or send me a pm I will stear you straight. I can give you a list of the most popular jailbreak apps too. Just let me know.

Josh

Awesome! A kindred spirit! Thank you for your reply :) I will definitely do that. Right now I am learning all I can because I am wanting to surprise my son with an iPhone. He has been eagerly anticipating it coming to Sprint for quite some time now. I am also considering one for myself when my upgrade is available. I am so glad that there are ways to mod it! I am afraid I would be bored in 5 minutes if I couldn't do that. Modding my phone is a hobby for me. I will definitely join the dark side ;)

tino72

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had Several android devices with either Att or vzw in the past 2 years. Nexus one,htc desire,captivate(2days) droid x, thunder Bolt (4 defectives)droid charge and can say they all froze up and locked up. Hi specs meant nothing as I went up the android chain. I will be fine with the 4s specs. My i4 was flawless even jail brake.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've had Several android devices with either Att or vzw in the past 2 years. Nexus one,htc desire,captivate(2days) droid x, thunder Bolt (4 defectives)droid charge and can say they all froze up and locked up. Hi specs meant nothing as I went up the android chain. I will be fine with the 4s specs. My i4 was flawless even jail brake.

One thing I've noticed with non iphone users. They have like 10 phones in a year trying to find one they liked. But Iphone users will own like 2 iphones in 3 years or even keep the same 1 for 2 years. Basically they aren't happy til they get the Apple in there life and its all over after that. Am I right. Once you got your Iphone4 you wondered why you wasted your time with the other phones

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noticed with non iphone users. They have like 10 phones in a year trying to find one they liked. But Iphone users will own like 2 iphones in 3 years or even keep the same 1 for 2 years. Basically they aren't happy til they get the Apple in there life and its all over after that. Am I right. Once you got your Iphone4 you wondered why you wasted your time with the other phones

Lol, this may be true. If there were no jailbreaking, though, I just don't know if I could do it or not :D I really can't say for sure since I haven't used one for myself other than looking at one a friend of mine has but I just don't know if stock alone would work for me personally. I enjoy being able to mod and theme according to my mood. I get that for people who just want to turn it on and have it behave consistently it is the ideal choice. Apple does make excellent devices designed specifically for iOS. There are a lot of variations on what you can get with Android. I'm just going to have to keep reading and researching :)

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
displeased with the specs? No.

Spec nerds would be disappointed, because they like being able to tout the wiz bang hardware on their phones to curious onlookers. Spec nerds aren't concerned with user experience because they'd rather tinker with a phone to build their own user experience than just have a phone that provides a satisfying user experience out of the box. They think they have more "control" over their user experience if they spin the propellers on their hats and tinker with their phones. The rest of us have no time or energy to waste trying to be engineers. People who are just trying to get things done are more interested in a balance of hardware and software that creates a satisfying USER EXPERIENCE. That's Apple's strength and Android's weakness. That's Windows Phone's strength too and they are looking to eat Android's lunch next year when Windows 8 arrives.

Just for laughs, I'd like to point out that the first round of Windows Phone TV commercials touted how the user interface and USER EXPERIENCE baked into the Windows Phone 7 devices, allowed the user to just get things done, instead of being "that guy" (the user of "another platform"). Who do you think they copied that from? I can promise you it wasn't Android, because that is it's weakness (user experience, not how many carriers are selling cheap Android phones). LOL!!!!

Last edited:

TheCIArr

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Not at all. Apple knows how to optimize software such that it runs smoothly on apparently lower-specced hardware. Believe me, I've used dual-core Android devices with 1 GB of RAM and they were still laggy and required frequent reboots.

Agreed - efficiency is the key. While other manufacturers (almost everyone but Apple) use components (processors most importantly) built by other companies, Apple builds their own. Because of this, the hardware (the A5 processor) and software (iOS) are compliment each other. This also means that major inefficiencies between hardware and software are less likely because Apple can make tweaks.

Don't forget the fact that the lower clock speed probably allows for longer battery life too.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Agreed - efficiency is the key. While other manufacturers (almost everyone but Apple) use components (processors most importantly) built by other companies, Apple builds their own. Because of this, the hardware (the A5 processor) and software (iOS) are compliment each other. This also means that major inefficiencies between hardware and software are less likely because Apple can make tweaks.

Don't forget the fact that the lower clock speed probably allows for longer battery life too.

Apple doesn't build the processors samsung does, but I agree Apple does compliment the hardware and software very well.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Also, maybe Apple uses the good kind of RAM. there was a big Russ about the Thunderbolt only having 512 RAM while while the ATT Attic had a gig or RAM. Turned out the Thunderbolt has a better quality RAM. Sorry, I do not remember what is called.

The thunderbolt has 768 ram. I think you meant the droid 3 that has 512 ram ddr3 or whatever it is called.

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not turned off at all, because its all about software with Apple.. Android is like Windows.. it has to be able to support a ton of different hardware configurations so it just won't run as smooth as iOS and needs the faster processing to handle it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You do make a good point. Remember though, that Android is not limited to one manufacturer. There are constant releases of Android phones because there is a wide range of devices in various price ranges available. Some are obviously going to appear to be better than others. I admit that I don't know much about the iPhone and iOS but I can tell you that while there may be people who report random reboots I can honestly say that I have not had a single instance on my NS4G. Before that I had an LG Optimus (it was the right price... free) and it didn't do that either.

I never really had many random reboots until the thunderbolt got an ota update. I have had most high end androids on verizon and over time they all slow down and start to lag. The nexus is stock google so it will be a little better, but the manufacturer skins kill android.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I agree I was constantly switching phones trying to stay with the latest for fear I would not get updates and because each phone I would have issues with. the thunderbolt was by far the worst and I had to get 4 replacements and now it finally isnt as bad. I am going to get a 4s tomorrow and feel like I finally know my phone will be updated and won't be replaced in a month.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't build the processors samsung does, but I agree Apple does compliment the hardware and software very well.

"P. A. Semi (originally "Palo Alto Semiconductor"[1]) was a fabless semiconductor company founded in Santa Clara, California in 2003 by Daniel W. Dobberpuhl (B.S. EE 1967 University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign[2][3]) who was the lead designer for the DEC Alpha 21064 and StrongARM processors. The company employed a 150-person engineering team which included people who had previously worked on processors like Itanium, Opteron and UltraSPARC. Apple Inc acquired P.A. Semi for $278 million in April 2008.[4]" I don't know for certain if Apple designed this A5 CPU and had Samsung produce it or what. Does anyone know?

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not turned off at all, because its all about software with Apple.. Android is like Windows.. it has to be able to support a ton of different hardware configurations so it just won't run as smooth as iOS and needs the faster processing to handle it.

I can at least confirm this on the EVO after the Gingerbread update. The buggy, laggy Sense UI didn't get any update and the memory leak bug was never addressed. Contrary to popular belief among propeller heads, rooting and hard reset didn't cure the memory leak and installing new Roms just to obtain stability is one of the least attractive features of the platform.

Apple marries the right hardware with the right OS features to create a user experience that is satisfying to the user. hardware specs are a secondary consideration to this, because as others have stated, Apple optimizes the software and hardware. It doesn't just throw bug ridden software at bleeding edge hardware like "other platforms" do.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree I was constantly switching phones trying to stay with the latest for fear I would not get updates and because each phone I would have issues with. the thunderbolt was by far the worst and I had to get 4 replacements and now it finally isn't as bad. I am going to get a 4s tomorrow and feel like I finally know my phone will be updated and won't be replaced in a month.

Exactly,

Herein lies the weaknesses of a platform that produces too many different kinds of handsets with two many buggy, laggy, unstable UI overlays. Fragmentation. Some view this as choice, until their phones become unstable and bug ridden. Then again, some are willing to make due with bug ridden technology just to maintain the illusion of choice on a platform where buggy UI's aren't there by choice. They can't be removed. You can attempt to use a different launcher, but then we're inching our way into tinkering with a phone just to get it to work properly. That isn't necessary with the iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73