With the Iphone4S processor being 800Mhz and 512 RAM, are you less pleased

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/11/tests-show-a5-chip-powering-iphone-4s-800mhz-73-faster-iphone-4/

As reported by TIPB. The A5 chip evidently has been under-clocked, thank god for ioverclock, speed intensifier and fake clockup, but thats another topic. The 4S is 800Mhz instead of 1Ghz which is kind of displeasing. Speed is always the reason for battery drainage. And 512 RAM. I think alot of people expected 1 GB of Ram and 1Ghz processor but oh well.

Does this change your mind about buying a new Iphone4S? I still want 1 because I have to have Apples newest product but its a little displeasing.

Your thoughts.
Josh

PS - If this has already been talked about, please disregard.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Not at all. Apple knows how to optimize software such that it runs smoothly on apparently lower-specced hardware. Believe me, I've used dual-core Android devices with 1 GB of RAM and they were still laggy and required frequent reboots.

Reactions: NegroNapoleon

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/11/tests-show-a5-chip-powering-iphone-4s-800mhz-73-faster-iphone-4/

As reported by TIPB. The A5 chip evidently has been under-clocked, thank god for ioverclock, speed intensifier and fake clockup, but thats another topic. The 4S is 800Mhz instead of 1Ghz which is kind of displeasing. Speed is always the reason for battery drainage. And 512 RAM. I think alot of people expected 1 GB of Ram and 1Ghz processor but oh well.

Does this change your mind about buying a new Iphone4S? I still want 1 because I have to have Apples newest product but its a little displeasing.

Your thoughts.
Josh

PS - If this has already been talked about, please disregard.

I think Apple made up for only using 512 RAM by offering iCloud and for the App Store offering iOverclock. It's no big deal really.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Eh... Changes nothing to me. Did you not look at the benchmarks? The performance is twice as fast. The clock frequency is absolutely irrelevant, as is the number of RAM, if they can achieve these results.

I wouldn't care if it was a half-core, 300Mhz processor and 50MB of RAM if they can double the real world performance. Why in the world would it matter to anyone what the number is on the chip if the performance is actually 200% better? ...

Reactions: NegroNapoleon

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not at all. Look at the benchmarks and you will see it performs better at 800mhz than others that are higher clicked. Apple will optimize it so it is buttery smooth.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Eh... Changes nothing to me. Did you not look at the benchmarks? The performance is twice as fast. The clock frequency is absolutely irrelevant, as is the number of RAM, if they can achieve these results.

I wouldn't care if it was a half-core, 300Mhz processor and 50MB of RAM if they can double the real world performance. Why in the world would it matter to anyone what the number is on the chip if the performance is actually 200% better? ...

Because most get lost in the numbers game and don't realize how they don't play that big of a role if optimized properly.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Because most get lost in the numbers game and don't realize how they don't play that big of a role if optimized properly.

I'm done playing the Android numbers game. I want a phone that just plain works. The only smartphone in that category is the iPhone.

My wife's iPhone 4 works just as smoothly as the day I bought it (February on Verizon). I can't say that for any of the Android phones I've tried for more than a week, and all of them have had higher specs than the iPhone 4S.

Reactions: ptb127

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm done playing the Android numbers game. I want a phone that just plain works. The only smartphone in that category is the iPhone.

My wife's iPhone 4 works just as smoothly as the day I bought it (February on Verizon). I can't say that for any of the Android phones I've tried for more than a week, and all of them have had higher specs than the iPhone 4S.

I'm in the same boat every android I've owned they slow down over time maybe that is to make you keep up with the new releases every other week. I'll be picking up an 4s Friday I'm done playing the numbers game and being stuck without updates when it becomes available.

Maestro1#AC

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
my 5year old laptop only has 1 gb of ram and it does everything fine, I can even play call of duty 4 on it. I also can have a bunch of programs open and its fast. I can't believe that 1GB of ram has become considered a must have on smartphones these days.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Processor speed is alway relative to what the OS is meant to do. Even in the Android world people get worked up over 800Mhz processors even though one processor is different from another and how the device uses it can also differ.

Given the fact that Apple really didn't make huge leaps in design this time around (bigger screen, new casing, 4G LTE) I still expect the phone to work as a high end smartphone. GPU will also help.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Not at all if the speed is what Apple claims, i think this is actually better for the sake of battery life.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed the iOverclock is a Cydia app so you need to jailbreak if you want to go that route. Haven't in the past and not sure I see a need to.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed the iOverclock is a Cydia app so you need to jailbreak if you want to go that route. Haven't in the past and not sure I see a need to.

Nobody really needs to just a matter if you want too. But what was the deal breaker for me. Jailbreaking is a 3-5 min process and your done. If you want weather on your lockscreen, be able to use facetime over 3g, download apps over 3g bigger than 20mb's, be able to theme your phone. Have a SMS app that lets you text without exiting the app than jailbreaking is for you.

Josh

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Nobody really needs to just a matter if you want too. But what was the deal breaker for me. Jailbreaking is a 3-5 min process and your done. If you want weather on your lockscreen, be able to use facetime over 3g, download apps over 3g bigger than 20mb's, be able to theme your phone. Have a SMS app that lets you text without exiting the app than jailbreaking is for you.

Josh

I thought the download limit was changed in IOS 5 because of ota's?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Josh

You really shouldn't recommend jail breaking to everyone... You'd be surprised how easily people can screw up their phones when they don't know how to do it.

Jailbreaking is not really a 3-5 minute process, considering how difficult it is to find a working jailbreak most of the time, and the fact that every update means another jailbreak is needed..

hournet562

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not really that disappointed, while there are some people who love specs, for the average user they will get along just fine with 512mb of ram. The iPhone 4 still works well for me.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't matter what the specs are as long as it is as fast as they say it will be. I am sure that 1 ghz and 1 gb of ram will come when it is needed. I trust Apple to provide us with a product that is far better than their last. They can't afford not to.

ktaylor17815

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I now have the original Motorola Droid and I joke that if I ever need to call 911 for an emergency, I would be dead before I could get my phone to make a call. I'm welcoming a hardware change and if I'm displeased, I'll move onto something else.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner