Newbie to MAC

Rolo&Brinkley

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I posted last week about pre-ordering the iPhone 4S--looking forward to it more NOW than I was then. Why you ask? I have been thrown into the fire without warning! My pc bailed on me with a hard disc drive failure on Friday and I just made the switch to a Macbook Pro! After 15 years on a PC this is tough but I am liking what I see so far.

Some of my questions:

I need a calendar that works with both the iPhone 4S and the Mac. I am constantly changing dates/times on the calendar and I want to make sure if I change it on one Apple product it syncs with the other. I also need pop-up reminders on both devices. What are you using and what works best? So far I wasn't sold on the mail app on the Mac so I put Outlook 2011 on it. It's ok but limited functionality.

As I continue to discover the wonder of the Mac and (this Friday), the wonder of the iPhone, I am sure there will be more queries. So glad to have a community here to help.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To speak on the calendar...it works amazingly between the macbook and the iPhone, and now with wireless syncing and such, it'll be even more intuitive and fluid.

As far as outlook goes, i haven't used that program in so long i don't have the foggiest idea how it performs with Apple products, but i do know that email is still not a strong point of the iPhone, because honestly, people who heavily rely on email usually have a good beat on what devices they use to properly fulfill their email needs...

That said...email on my iPhone works perfectly for my needs, which include about 50% personal and 50% work (since i hate my work EVO like nothing else and don't use it unless absolutely necessary).

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Yes!! Welcome!!!

As far as pop up reminders go if you set the reminders to alert you then they will alert you on both your iPhone and your Mac automatically as long as you set iTunes to sync calendars when you have your iPhone plugged in. It will be one of he options that you only have to check. I get the same alerts on my iPhone iPad and MacBook Pro which is a little annoying sometimes but at least I never miss those calendar alerts!

Rolo&Brinkley

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The cult is a good one! :) I don't mind the extra alerts that's for sure. Ok iTunes sounds like it may be the ticket once the phone arrives. Is there any way to take my Palm Pre calendar and get it on iTunes now so it's ready for the transfer? Anybody got a duct tape/chewing gum solution to that one? Everything I need is on that phone and of course my broken PC too. Appreciate the welcomes and help!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The cult is a good one! :) I don't mind the extra alerts that's for sure. Ok iTunes sounds like it may be the ticket once the phone arrives. Is there any way to take my Palm Pre calendar and get it on iTunes now so it's ready for the transfer? Anybody got a duct tape/chewing gum solution to that one? Everything I need is on that phone and of course my broken PC too. Appreciate the welcomes and help!

The easiest way to get there from here is to sync with something. Google/Gmail seems to be a good choice for many, but I don't keep any contacts/calendar in Google/Gmail, so I don't have the expertise to help there. (Sorry.)

I don't suppose that there was any Mac/OS X software included with your Palm Pre? The calendar and contact apps in OS X are great, but getting data in there can be the problem sometimes. And with a hard drive crash on your previous machine, you can't use the Windows address book/Outlook as the source/solution, either.

Rolo&Brinkley

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes unfortunately the PC crash has limited what I can retrieve. Thus the only real location for my calendar is on the Palm Pre. And no Mac software came with it. :(

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711