Difference between black and white phone?

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed today when looking on the Apple site that the white and black phone look a bit different. It looks like the white phone has another small opening over the earpiece, and the black doesn't. Is it possible there is a difference or is the photo just not correct? If they are different, why, and what is the extra opening on the white phone?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The main difference for me is that the white iPhone is way more awesomer!
:D

Other than that, nothin'. All preference.

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The extra opening is a proximity sensor, its on the black one you just cant see it as its black.
(may also be the light sensor)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am wondering what the OP used as his search criteria. I typed in bar above speaker iPhone 4 into google and bam....tons of links.

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I was looking for information on the 4s; didn't know that the 4 would be the same-as far as how they differed. I didn't even search for the 4; sorry for my mistake.

Thanks David for your reply. I wondered if it was just a matter of not being able to see it on the black models. This was the only difference I was interested in, the proximity sensor.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The opening over the ear piece on the white is the proximity sensor. Because of the white color, it had to be done slightly different than the black.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I had read that there was a difference in the dimensions of the black and white iP4 so I was wondering about this myself. Apparently the difference was enough that certain cases would fit one but not the other. I slid the subject of color preference into a conversation with my son and he would like the white one best, but he quickly pointed out he would be more than happy with either :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I had read that there was a difference in the dimensions of the black and white iP4 so I was wondering about this myself. Apparently the difference was enough that certain cases would fit one but not the other. I slid the subject of color preference into a conversation with my son and he would like the white one best, but he quickly pointed out he would be more than happy with either :)

There was a very slight difference in thickness on the iPhone 4...this is not the same on the iPhone 4S from the specs that have been put out.

Reactions: CarrieMK

cchs227

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Both phones consists of a proximity sensor; although the white version's proximity sensor is visible! Hope I cleared it up better!

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, Sean. I am trying to get one for my son and am going to try to get the white if I can. Do they make equal numbers of each color or is the white more rare? Thanks again to everyone who answers my noobie mom questions :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, Sean. I am trying to get one for my son and am going to try to get the white if I can. Do they make equal numbers of each color or is the white more rare? Thanks again to everyone who answers my noobie mom questions :)

White used to be the unicorn of the iPhone world...i don't think that is the case anymore, especially with how much crying was done when the iPhone 4 came out without the white model option last year, i think they'll keep white iPhones in heavy stock this go 'round. :)

Reactions: CarrieMK

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

From what I heard, they are going to have an equal number of both the White and Black iPhone 4S for each of the wireless carriers, therefore I don't think you'll have any trouble at all with getting the White one for your son.