Transfer Contacts?

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from a Samsung Epic and I was wondering how do I transfer my contacts when I get my iPhone?
how are you buying the phone? online or instore? from whom?

I believe it buying from apple website you may be able to go into an apple store, but not on launch day since it will be a zoo.

If from the carrier, you could walk into their store and they would do it.

However, you might lose some data.

I would call apple and ask them what is the best way to save as much data as possible.

For example, I use outlook and when I transfer from my bb to the iphone 4s, I will make the transfer and synch thru outlook so I will not lose any data in the transition.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I am coming from a Samsung Epic and I was wondering how do I transfer my contacts when I get my iPhone?

How are your contacts stored on the Epic? I'm not familiar with how the Epic works, but if you are syncing with a service -- let's say Gmail or even an Outlook profile -- you will be able to sync those contacts (and other data) fairly easily. If the contacts are stored on the Epic or in the SIM you are going to need to seek help from a store.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
it is setup using gmail so all of my contacts are stored on my gmail account. so all i need to do is to just set up my gmail account and my contacts will be transferred?

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
it is setup using gmail so all of my contacts are stored on my gmail account. so all i need to do is to just set up my gmail account and my contacts will be transferred?

actually that's NOT correct. You HAVE to set it up as an exchange server so the information is shared. m.google.com is the exchange server

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
how do i do that?

Edit: Nevermind, I just did it on my iPad to see if I could do it. Very simple.
Question though: After I set up the exchange Gmail account and select what I want to sync(mail, contacts, calendars), under Fetch New Data do I need to keep push on? Because I currently have push set to off and fetch set to manually in order to save battery.

Last edited:

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
how do i do that?

Edit: Nevermind, I just did it on my iPad to see if I could do it. Very simple.
Question though: After I set up the exchange Gmail account and select what I want to sync(mail, contacts, calendars), under Fetch New Data do I need to keep push on? Because I currently have push set to off and fetch set to manually in order to save battery.

I would set it to on so It can push your contacts to your phone. I don't know that it's 100% necessary, but it does make it quicker.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Lots of good answers here but let's not forget one of the best reasons to own an Apple product: The Apple Genius Bar! Have questions or need help setting up a new device/computer? Make an appointment and get free tech support and setup. If you are unsure how to get these contacts over to your awesome new iPhone make an appointment with your local Apple Store online right now for this weekend:
Apple Retail Store

I am sure with the help of the great folk here you can figure it out on your own but if you are unsure or need a little help, the Genius Bar is free and a great recourse.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
But if I set Push to ON won't it drain my battery? Since it will be trying to pull information? What if i set the exchange account setting to only contacts that are on? Would I still be able to retrieve my e-mail? Sorry for all the questions but this is my first iPhone. Thanks for the help!

cr12#IM

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
it probably wont be doing enough to make much noticable difference. the whole point of PUSH is that something is PUSHING information to your device if theres no new information it wouldnt be pushing out info. thats the way I understand it anyhow.

Reactions: sprocket2107

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Push only uses the connection when there's something there to transfer. I have both my work and Gmail set up as exchange with push turned on and I get ~75 emails a day. From 7am to 6 my battery drops from 100% to about 85%

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
One other tip: if you want new contacts added to your phone to also show up in your desktop gmail, go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll down to the default account setting for Contacts and make sure it's set to Exchange and not On My iPhone. Otherwise they will only be on your phone.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an android phone I am a little worried about the battery life. When I would have push enabled on my epic it would drain the battery much quicker. I don't want to have to limit what I do on my phone. When I am away from my Mac or iPad I like to check these forums and other such things as well play a few games here and there. I wasnt able to do that on my phone because if I did my battery would be dead in like 4 hours

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It probably won't be an issue, but just give it a try. If you decide you need more battery, switching Push to Fetch is literally a one-swipe operation.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an android phone I am a little worried about the battery life. When I would have push enabled on my epic it would drain the battery much quicker. I don't want to have to limit what I do on my phone. When I am away from my Mac or iPad I like to check these forums and other such things as well play a few games here and there. I wasnt able to do that on my phone because if I did my battery would be dead in like 4 hours

The battery life on the Epic is 6 hours. But, the screen is 4 inchs. The battery life on the iPhone 4S is 8 hours and the screen's 3.5 inchs. It should last you a little while longer.

Piper Doon

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Coming over from a WebOS device...any suggestions on moving Palm/HP profile contacts to Iphone? I have begun to convert all my Palm/HP calendar dates to Google or Yahoo calendars for easier syncing. However contacts on Palm/HP profile has be stuck..... Thanks, looking forward to IPhone 4S in the mail.

elavum

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Any opinion on backup assistant by verizon? Does it back up all the fields from my Blackberry and transfer it to iphone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2