Why an iPhone 4S and not an Android?

Crystalftw

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
*This is not a post to incite snark*

I am a sprint sub who loved her palm pre dearly, sadly pre has been ran over many times on a busy street bc mama left her on top of the car.....In my defense I did take care of her lovingly for over 2 years. Any who, I need a phone that can hold it's own. I<3webOS and it's multitasking capabilities. I loved the way my texts popped up at the bottom, I loved my msg indicator light, and I loved the seamless flow from one card to the other, etc.... Will I love an iphone? I played on my gf's iphone 4 for a bit, but thats the extent of my iphone experience, i have never owned a ipod, or a mac... My husband has a 1st gen droid and I HATE it, but the samsung SII is looking pretty sweet. I want to love my next phone.

thanks!!!

David_LFC

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Its just not an iphone, at the end of the day regardless of specs its android, to me it just doesnt seem right.

I have been using an android whilst waiting for the 4s, I lost my 4 a month ago and have the insurance money waiting!

In the UK the closest example I can give is Sky+(iphone) vs. Virgin Media V+(android) both PVR recorders

Both ultimatley do the same thing, but something is just not right even if the tech and feature specs are better.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am a person who loves to tinker with her phone. Android is very customizable, moreso if you have a "pure" Google phone like the Nexus S 4G. I also like the fact that it is very affordable to own one. I have very few paid apps. You can get apps that will do almost anything for free, although most of them that are free have ads. Quite honestly, for me personally, I am not one of those "I hate Apple" people. It is just more economical for me to have Android. My son loves Apple products and really wants this phone so I am going to try to get him one somehow.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here. It is about what you want in a device and what you can afford.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can get apps that will do almost anything for free, although most of them that are free have ads.

Free isn't really free. Google is selling you. Your demographic to display ads too. That's the whole thing about Google - they may not charge you as the end user for anything, but they are data mining your life to sell to others. I'd rather pay a little for an app than give my life details to google for them to sell.

D0minoid

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Free isn't really free. Google is selling you. Your demographic to display ads too. That's the whole thing about Google - they may not charge you as the end user for anything, but they are data mining your life to sell to others. I'd rather pay a little for an app than give my life details to google for them to sell.

But, don't a lot of the free apps on the iPhone also use Google ads? If so, wouldn't they be selling the same data?

I have used both. I am currently using the epic and when friends ask me why i tell them i like to tinker. Android gives you that. Whereas the iPhone just works. The iPhone is a good device for what it is intended to do. If you don't like to tinker with the OS then i suggest the iPhone, but if you like to mess with the OS, Overclock the processor then i suggest Android.

As for apps use the Amazon App store, they give out a free app everyday. I am sure they are selling that same data that Google does, but most smart phones are selling your data somehow.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But, don't a lot of the free apps on the iPhone also use Google ads? If so, wouldn't they be selling the same data?

Some do - but they are the minority in the apps I use. Mostly, the add supported ones were a trial for me, and I either deleted the app, or bought it - paying for the app made the ads go away.

And as far as tinkering goes... read the jailbreak forums. There's plenty of tinkering you can do if that's your thing. I've done some myself... but am presently "stock" to install the iOS5 - there's a couple of jailbreak things I want so will likely jailbreak again when one goes untethered.

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been using an android since day one and I get almost every high end android that came to tmobile. I'm just simply tired now. I have to root and flash roms to keep myself happy with my phone and its becoming too much now that I'm in school and far from home; can't carry a charger everywhere. I feel, knowing how the batteries are on both phones, I prefer the iphone and iOS right now.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
1. Ecosystem. If i use an ipad, all my apps work on it. If i have an iphone, all phone apps (usually) work on it. Apple tvs provide wireless mirroring. And then there's the ipod touch for the kiddo that, again, can use any of the phone apps. All apps are made for your device. With android, you have to hope.

2. New apps. More often than not, iOS gets them first. Sometimes others don't get them at all.

3. Support. Nothing like going to the apple store to exchange phones or get a repair in a painless, timely, manner. For the rest, you're stuck with the carrier usually.

4. Value. You can share apps, install on multiple devices, etc. The devices hold their value better. After a while you pretty much know what price you'd be able to sell the device for.

5. Quality. No mass exchanges as with the Pre. No plastic. No creaking.

6. itunes. One central hub to manage devices. Apps, music, video, books, podcasts, playlists, etc. Some hate itunes, but I'd imagine many more couldn't live without it. Some want no computer, while others like myself prefer using a computer. iOS 5 attempts to provide an option to those who want things separate from computer.

7. Jailbreak. Easy to do. Provides the "tinkering" aspect many get with android or webOS. Allows for more functionality.

8. Features that are often best in class. Not thrown on to say you have it. Apple gets the software aspects of it.

9. Large storage. No sd cards to fool with or backs of phone to struggle with to remove.

10. Can depend on updates to your iphone. With others, you have to worry about carrier and manufacturer and google, HP, or MS. You know the updates are coming. You know it will continue to get direct updates for quite awhile. You also know this is Apple's primary business (aside from Macs) and they have every incentive to continue to be innovative and keep it a premium brand. That lone iphone represents billions to them. I'd say it's pretty important to Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystalftw

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Motorola Xoom so I was thinking of switching to Android from my 3GS. I was really looking at getting the Galaxy S 2, but apparently AT&T doesn't want to sell it(they don't carry it in store). I would like a bigger screen and also I like the specs.
I Like the android operating system and the way I can customize it without rooting it. But I decided to get the 4S. The specs announced look good, IOS 5 and SIRI looks like it will a good upgrade. Also I can use all my chargers from my 3GS. And if its 7x faster than a Phone 4, its gotta be 10x faster than my 3GS!
Plus when there are software updates, Apple will give it to me. I don't have to wait for the carrier/phone manufacturer to send it to me. Also, Apple has a good rep. for fixing your phone and customer service. They really want you to enjoy your experience with their devices.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I think people make too big of a thing about the actual hardware, when they should be researching the differences between the ecosystems. The ecosystem, not the hardware or OS, is what will eventually be the big deciding factor on whether you are happy with your phone purchase.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a Motorola Xoom so I was thinking of switching to Android from my 3GS. I was really looking at getting the Galaxy S 2, but apparently AT&T doesn't want to sell it(they don't carry it in store). I would like a bigger screen and also I like the specs.
I Like the android operating system and the way I can customize it without rooting it. But I decided to get the 4S. The specs announced look good, IOS 5 and SIRI looks like it will a good upgrade. Also I can use all my chargers from my 3GS. And if its 7x faster than a Phone 4, its gotta be 10x faster than my 3GS!
Plus when there are software updates, Apple will give it to me. I don't have to wait for the carrier/phone manufacturer to send it to me. Also, Apple has a good rep. for fixing your phone and customer service. They really want you to enjoy your experience with their devices.

I agree with most of your post. However, if you get a true "Google Phone" like the NS4G then you don't have to wait for updates. Lol, perhaps Android is the Poor Man's iPhone. You can have an Android device regardless of budget, which, in my case, dictates the majority of my purchases.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
The iTunes integration is what sold me on iPhone, besides the hardware. I agree that ecosystem is a key factor as well.

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a Pre for a while as well back when it came out. Got the Droid when it came out. Did not like having a App kill to kill apps.Went to a Iphone 3gs, the Iphone blew both of them away, I had a Ipod touch before so I have several apps all ready.

I looked at getting a new 4g LTE phone from Verizon, but friends with them have told me it suck the battery quick and I did not want to buy new apps again.

With the Iphone when you get it, you will have the latest and great Iphone till sometime next year, Software updates for years!!

KC

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have used Android since the Hero. It's a good OS and I have been very satisfied with it. Here is why I am moving to an iPhone:

1. Apps. In general iOS has better quality apps, better selection, exclusives, and first grab when they are on both platforms.
2. Stability. To get a good Android experience rooting and flashing custom ROM"s/kernals is pretty much mandatory. Stock software is universally crappy. Each ROM has issues that crop up so your always flashing a replacement, it's a never ending cycle I am tired of playing in.
3. The ecosystem. This is the #1 reason I am switching. I bought an iPad 2 and absolutely love it. Android tablets just aren't ready for primetime. I want one platform for both devices so I am not buying apps twice(as much at least) and supporting two different OS's. It's just makes my life easier. One day when Android's tablet OS has matured I may revisit the equation but for now it's iOS.

In summary as odd as it may sound my choice in phones has been driven by my preference in tablets.

Crystalftw

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses. Forgive me, as I am clueless when the talk about ecosystems and ROM occurs...And I have heard of jailbreak but am really clueless as to the purpose.

Keep it coming! :)

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'll share my Android story. I have T-Mobile and have gone through about a dozen of their Android phones. My first Android was the myTouch 4G and that was in December 2010. I liked it at first but I didn't like the build quality and found it be laggy. I then went back to my BlackBerry 890 for a few months and then jumped on the Samsung Galaxy S 4G which REALLY lagged. Could have been due to the extremely low amount of internal storage. This phone felt like it was gonna snap in half. I returned it the next day and then decided to go with the myTouch 4G again since it was so much better. Well long story short but I ended up going through 4 of them. All had screen issues and trackpad issues. I then jumped ship to the HTC Sensation. Of course the new Sense 3.0 software wasn't nearly ready by the time of its release. This probably goes down as one of the worst phones I ever owned. Every time I covered the phone with my hand my WIFI signal would cut out. It barely could hold onto a "4G" signal and the build quality was horrible. I went through 3 of these before I said FORGET IT. My last unit had battery issues like you would never imagine. It wouldn't complete a charge and the next morning it was almost scalding hot.

I learned my lesson thoroughly when it comes to Android and NEVER AGAIN will I buy one. The OS isn't bad, it just needs tweaking and optimization. Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola need to learn a lesson or two on build quality. When I type on an iPad or iPhone it feels very solid, something the droids don't have.

Can't wait to get my new iPhone 4S this week. And bye bye to T-Mobile who expects the customer to renew their contract every time they change something in their plan.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
...I am clueless when the talk about ecosystems and ROM occurs...And I have heard of jailbreak but am really clueless as to the purpose.

My impression is that the iPhone will suit you better. If you intend to buy a phone soon, go to your carrier (or Best Buy, etc.) before next Friday and spend time with the Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4. Take notes, ask questions and resist pressure to buy a phone. Tell them you're waiting for the 4S and Nexus Prime.

You can read dozens of reviews and get hundreds of feedback from different people, but what matters most is your personal reaction to how a particular phone feels, looks and works. Find out which feels more intuitive to you. Scroll, swipe, pinch and type on the glass keypad. Take the phone near an external window and see how the screen looks with outdoor light on it.

Of course the iPhone 4S will be even faster than the iPhone 4. The camera will be better and Siri will add a whole new level of functionality. But at least you can get an idea of what it will be like as you spend time with the iP4.

If you can wait another month for a new phone, I suggest you test the 4S and wait for the Nexus Prime & Android 4.0/ICS announcement. It's possible that this will be a significantly improved Android.

Reactions: Crystalftw

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the Pre-, then the Evo 4G and what disgusted me was the lack of support and the fact that I had to tinker with these phones to regain basic reliability and function. I've never had to do this with my iPad 2, so I preordered the 4S.

Mistress of Mischief

Tanker57

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think Cardfan has some great points. I had a Droid X for 15 months and really enjoyed the experience. I am moving to iPhone now because I wasn't leaving Verizon. I couldn't get an upgrade to iP4 so 4S it is. You know my biggest gripe and I know it sounds minuscule but...buying case for an iPhone is a great experience. Choices in colors, styles, bulk, etc. On the Droid...good luck

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think Cardfan has some great points. I had a Droid X for 15 months and really enjoyed the experience. I am moving to iPhone now because I wasn't leaving Verizon. I couldn't get an upgrade to iP4 so 4S it is. You know my biggest gripe and I know it sounds minuscule but...buying case for an iPhone is a great experience. Choices in colors, styles, bulk, etc. On the Droid...good luck

I completely agree on the cases. I had the HTC Sensation for a short time this past summer and only had like maybe 4 cases to choose from. The iPhone thousands of different kinds.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR