As usual, overwhelming demand had the 4s pre orders 2 weeks behind! I was hoping to avoid lines this time around but looks like the same story all over again, why can't Apple just provide enough phones knowing there will be demand! I hate lines, now it will be at least a month or two before I'm able to just walk in and get one.
    10-08-2011 01:21 PM
    I think you participated in earlier discussions about estimated iPhone demand. What is happening should not have come as a surprise. This is what always happens on Day One of any new iPhone. The Verizon iPhone 4 launch was more like Month Eight. Place an online order today and you'll have the phone delivered to you in 1-2 weeks.
    10-08-2011 01:26 PM
    And the word is that the stores (both Apple and the wireless carriers) will have a lot of stock on hand. But if you absolutely must have one on day one, I'd strongly recommend getting in line at a retail outlet early.

All of this talk of low demand is simply not true. This is an Apple product, thus, demand will always be strong at launch time.
    10-08-2011 01:43 PM
    I think that they wanted more in store stock so they only set a certain amount for preorders. I still think you will be able to get one come launch day as they will have plenty in stock.
    10-08-2011 01:47 PM
    They can only build them so fast. Patience my friend.
    10-08-2011 02:04 PM
    While there is probably some truth to the demand factor, notice that Apple at once shifted all of the models from 10/14 to 1-2 weeks. This tells me that someone made a conscious decision to change the dates and that it was not driven by stock. The reasoning could be some combination of wanting to focus all efforts on shipping this first batch and wanting lines at Apple Stores, which are part of the mystique of an iPhone launch.
    10-08-2011 02:16 PM
    I think that they wanted more in store stock so they only set a certain amount for preorders. I still think you will be able to get one come launch day as they will have plenty in stock.
    Apple has never announced their pre-order vs pick-up breakdown of sales during opening weekend. We know for the iPhone 4 launch last year that 600,000 pre-orders were taken during the first 24 hrs. They later announced that 1.7 million were sold during the first weekend. We assume that number includes the 600k, but they didn't tell us specifically.

I'm sure the factories are building iPhones as fast as possible. Whatever the total number they have available for consumers by next weekend is what Apple will sell next weekend. My guess is it'll be 3+ million. Maybe 1 million for pre-orders and the rest for in-store pick-up? They'll have to spread that out over 3 days, so I'm guessing each day will reach "sold out" status at some point. I would not assume you can stroll into a store sometime late next Friday and pick up an iPhone 4S. Demand has historically always greater than supply for at least the first few months.
    10-08-2011 05:34 PM
    I don't think the iPhone 4S will be too hard to get on launch day.
    10-08-2011 07:24 PM
    Stores got alot more phones that the pre-orders did. at&t rep said they were receiving more stock to not even be able to sell out first day of the release.
    10-08-2011 07:55 PM
    Rule of thumb to use if large metro area stores are out of stock is to drive out to suburbs...when the Wii was hard to find, people were walking into stores and finding them by driving out of the big city areas. This could play into the iPhone too since retail stores also carry them.
    10-08-2011 08:03 PM
    As usual, overwhelming demand had the 4s pre orders 2 weeks behind! I was hoping to avoid lines this time around but looks like the same story all over again, why can't Apple just provide enough phones knowing there will be demand! I hate lines, now it will be at least a month or two before I'm able to just walk in and get one.
    You can check out your local best buy store. You will still have to go in on the 14th but I am sure it will be nothing like an Apple store. Plus you won't have to wait for the second wave of phones.
    10-08-2011 08:13 PM
    You can check out your local best buy store. You will still have to go in on the 14th but I am sure it will be nothing like an Apple store. Plus you won't have to wait for the second wave of phones.
    I bought the original iPad at a Best Buy. I arrived 15 min. before the store opened and was #9 in line. The line at an Apple Store a mile away was a few blocks long. But the Best Buy did sell out pretty quickly that day.
    10-08-2011 08:28 PM
    so, those that ordered within the first few hours of the pre orders will still get their phones on time? Or are these also delayed? I haven't received a second email from sprint saying anything about a delay. I have the initial email saying that it was to deliver by 10/14.
    10-08-2011 08:34 PM
    I was at Target today and pre-ordered my iPhone 4S(32gb) with a $50 deposit. They said they have plenty for pre-order and they will be in on the 14th. They will call me and hold it until I get off work.(or all weekend but who wants to wait that long!) Also they will take your iPhone 4 of 3gs as trade in towards the new phone. You probably could get more on ebay, but its free to check.
    10-08-2011 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD