Anyone pre-order through Best Buy?

mikeyvt1

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I decided to pre-order through Best Buy because I have some gift cards I wanted to use. You have to go to the actual store to pre-order. To my surprise everyone that pre-ordered received a $50 gift card. I don't think they advertised that at all. Just wanted to give a heads up.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy giving you a $50 gift card basically covers the extra tax they charge you then if you bought it through your carrier because they charge you tax on the full price not the 199-399 you're actually paying for it

Last edited:

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I decided to pre-order through Best Buy because I have some gift cards I wanted to use. You have to go to the actual store to pre-order. To my surprise everyone that pre-ordered received a $50 gift card. I don't think they advertised that at all. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Why wouldn't they give you back Best buy gift cards, haha they buy stuff from their store anyway so they're making money.
Or if you had to buy them, they know that iPhone's are in high demand and they think they can make a quick buck buy adding 50 dollars to get you're iPhone.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy giving you a $50 gift card basically covers the extra tax they charge you the if you bought it through your carrier because they charge you tax on the full price not the 199-399 you're actually paying for it

That depends on your state tax laws. CA and one New England state does that, the rest do not. Those states charge tax based on original price of products before discounts I have bought a couple phone there and am only charged the tax on the purchase price.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I never even thought of bestbuy even though I'm a silver rewards member. I think I'll be waiting outside my local Apple store to pickup mine though. This'll be my first launch event. Heard they are pretty fun at apple stores.

ballerx44

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I never even thought of bestbuy even though I'm a silver rewards member. I think I'll be waiting outside my local Apple store to pickup mine though. This'll be my first launch event. Heard they are pretty fun at apple stores.

Definitely one of the funnest experiences I've ever had... OG iPhone launch was easily the funniest day I've had in a LONG time haha... take a jacket though, I ended up having to drive 15+ miles home to get a jacket...

Helicopter

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I preordered through Best Buy last year for the iPhone 4. I went in the store the day preorders started and purchased the $50 gift card which is basically a deposit and reservation for the phone. Best Buy then called me the day before release and asked me what time I wanted to come in the following day to pick up my phone. The reason my store set up "appointments" was to keep the process smooth and less hectic. I went in the store on release day and used the gift card I purchased towards the price of the phone and walked out 10 minutes later. It was a pretty hassle-free experience, in my opinion.

jhoove09#IM

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I did the same. Just know that the day you pick up the phone you will pay the full price you would have, that 50 you put down when you pre-ordered is on the gift card. You can choose to use that for the phone or you could buy something else.

Basically, you haven't paid anything for the phone yet. You have no money down on it.

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from Best Buy.
now they couldn't guarantee that i would receive my phone on friday but if i get there early enough i can.
but said i was only 1 of a few that ordered the 64gb black. so hopefully it works out.
my store(both best buy mobile and best buy retail said that it's first come first serve but will be for sure getting one before the 31st.)

yes i had to purchase a down payment plan for the phone(50$ gift card)

luckily i work until 7am and then the store opens at 8. happy hunting for your phones.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
That depends on your state tax laws. CA and one New England state does that, the rest do not. Those states charge tax based on original price of products before discounts I have bought a couple phone there and am only charged the tax on the purchase price.

I live in Las Vegas and I'm on Sprint, I was charged tax on the amount I paid on not the amount the phone sell for at retail.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Definitely one of the funnest experiences I've ever had... OG iPhone launch was easily the funniest day I've had in a LONG time haha... take a jacket though, I ended up having to drive 15+ miles home to get a jacket...
Please explain what happens at the launch event? I am interested.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why would you guys order your iPhone from best buy? In my experience with all electronics, they are the least knowledgeable and their prices are not competitive. You would be better off ordering from the carrier or apple itself.
Also regarding accessories, when I was looking for ipad accessories, they had less of a selection than even Verizon. For example, right before hurricane Lorraine here in the NYC area, I was searching for a battery backup for my iPad and itouch and they had nothing. I browsed their other accessories at that point and they were very limited.
Apple was out of stock of backups for the i products and they recommended blackstones. I picked up a cool backup there for my iPad. Touch backup at verizon.

Last edited:

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Some people get them at Best Buy because they want to do the trade in program or maybe they have gift cards to use.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I preordered through Best Buy last year for the iPhone 4. I went in the store the day preorders started and purchased the $50 gift card which is basically a deposit and reservation for the phone. Best Buy then called me the day before release and asked me what time I wanted to come in the following day to pick up my phone. The reason my store set up "appointments" was to keep the process smooth and less hectic. I went in the store on release day and used the gift card I purchased towards the price of the phone and walked out 10 minutes later. It was a pretty hassle-free experience, in my opinion.

Same here, getting the iPhone 4 at Best Buy last year was the best iPhone buying experience yet. The appointment thing to come in and pick up was crucial; no lines or waiting if the sales people had customers because they were waiting for me.

Reactions: Helicopter

mikeyvt1

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Why would you guys order your iPhone from best buy? In my experience with all electronics, they are the least knowledgeable and their prices are not competitive. You would be better off ordering from the carrier or apple itself.
Also regarding accessories, when I was looking for ipad accessories, they had less of a selection than even Verizon. For example, right before hurricane Lorraine here in the NYC area, I was searching for a battery backup for my iPad and itouch and they had nothing. I browsed their other accessories at that point and they were very limited.
Apple was out of stock of backups for the i products and they recommended blackstones. I picked up a cool backup there for my iPad. Touch backup at verizon.

Umm... because I have a large gift card that could cover a few iphones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73