I see many folks here upset regarding their contracts and trying to renegotiate/threaten to go to another carrier because they can't get the full subsidy.
    There are also many with reasonable replies.
    It is awesome to see the enthusiasm from everyone to get the latest and greatest incarnation of the iPhone. I too am on the bandwagon ! Needless to say, I'm sure the passing of the Great One has encouraged some.
    I'm not at all happy that I am not eligible on day 1 for the full discount. I have been with ATT/Cingular etc since before iPhone and have had every iteration of the iPhone. I got my iPhone 4, 2 weeks after launch and have a family plan with 2 iPhones and spend a lot of money, etc, etc like all of you also.

Why is someone upset that they couldn't get their eligibility moved up even if they threatened/did leave ?
    Should the carrier make an exception for you ? Maybe in your eyes.
    Then what happens when the next guy calls and even spends more money that you ? Well I guess, make an exception for him/her also.
    If they made exceptions for everyone with a good circumstance then eligibility dates would be of no legitimacy. You may as well let everyone upgrade whenever they want, and the phone companies would not make any money.
    Well they make a boat load anyway, obviously, and of course some things are not fair(at least in our eyes) but they run the company and those are the rules.although it seems that some people get around the rule by complaining enough.
    Well, those are just some of my thoughts and feel free to chime in.
    I will wait until 11/30 to upgrade and enjoy my new phone, sorry to those who have to wait longer.
    Thanks for reading
    10-07-2011 09:20 PM
    lol it sucks even more for a Sprint customer, because we used to get yearly upgrades, now i have to wait until june 12' ..... but you make good points.
    10-07-2011 09:28 PM
    What's funny is people can buy a phone at the full price anytime they want but because they have had their phone for 1/2 a contract expect to be an exception.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-07-2011 10:36 PM
    lol it sucks even more for a Sprint customer, because we used to get yearly upgrades, now i have to wait until june 12' ..... but you make good points.
    Verizon is the same way. The iphone comes and bye bye 1 year contracts.
    10-07-2011 10:39 PM
    I've had annual upgrades at AT&T everytime. Guess they treat family plans differently or something. But nope, it's not consistent with everyone. I've also heard it depends on if you pay on time, and other factors.

Pricing and Upgrading

AT&T, like most U.S. carriers, offers a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10-07-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    hermdog likes this.
    10-07-2011 11:50 PM
    Your point is understood and well taken. I am aware that if you pay more to ATT, you fulfill your subsidized phone quicker. It is consistent for everyone if that is taken into account.
    My point was those who complain despite that.
    For example," I only have 15 more days until I qualify, I called them and threaten to cancel. Why would they want to lose out on another 2 year contract ?"
    Should an exemption be made for them ?
    10-08-2011 01:13 AM
    Your point is understood and well taken. I am aware that if you pay more to ATT, you fulfill your subsidized phone quicker. It is consistent for everyone if that is taken into account.
    My point was those who complain despite that.
    For example," I only have 15 more days until I qualify, I called them and threaten to cancel. Why would they want to lose out on another 2 year contract ?"
    Should an exemption be made for them ?
    Because Apple controls this... not Verizon, not AT&T and surely not Sprint.
    10-08-2011 01:17 AM
    Because Apple controls this... not Verizon, not AT&T and surely not Sprint.
    The carriers control this, not Apple.

They purchase the phone from Apple. You buy it from them. They can do whatever they want as a reseller of the phone. If they want to lose money on every phone they certainly can...

Apple has nothing to do with how the carrier treats you.
    10-08-2011 01:37 AM
    I see many folks here upset regarding their contracts and trying to renegotiate/threaten to go to another carrier because they can't get the full subsidy.
    There are also many with reasonable replies.
    It is awesome to see the enthusiasm from everyone to get the latest and greatest incarnation of the iPhone. I too am on the bandwagon ! Needless to say, I'm sure the passing of the Great One has encouraged some.
    I'm not at all happy that I am not eligible on day 1 for the full discount. I have been with ATT/Cingular etc since before iPhone and have had every iteration of the iPhone. I got my iPhone 4, 2 weeks after launch and have a family plan with 2 iPhones and spend a lot of money, etc, etc like all of you also.

Why is someone upset that they couldn't get their eligibility moved up even if they threatened/did leave ?
    Should the carrier make an exception for you ? Maybe in your eyes.
    Then what happens when the next guy calls and even spends more money that you ? Well I guess, make an exception for him/her also.
    If they made exceptions for everyone with a good circumstance then eligibility dates would be of no legitimacy. You may as well let everyone upgrade whenever they want, and the phone companies would not make any money.
    Well they make a boat load anyway, obviously, and of course some things are not fair(at least in our eyes) but they run the company and those are the rules.although it seems that some people get around the rule by complaining enough.
    Well, those are just some of my thoughts and feel free to chime in.
    I will wait until 11/30 to upgrade and enjoy my new phone, sorry to those who have to wait longer.
    Thanks for reading
    Glad to see you're waiting patiently Stay strong, they make you wait so they don't go bankrupt haha
    10-08-2011 08:34 AM
    LOL, I don't get people that think they should get a discount everytime a new phone comes out, it's absurd. People that like to buy the newest model when it comes out can usually sell their old model and with that still pay very close to the new contract price so I don't get the big deal but somebody always thinks they are entitled to anything they want. Original poster, enjoy your new phone in 6 weeks
    10-08-2011 08:47 AM
    Well I returned the bionic a few weeks ago and my upgrade finally showed back up in the system,so now I can go into a store next friday or order via phone sales to get the iphone 4s but I couldnt pre-order it over the internet which sucks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    10-08-2011 09:10 AM
    LOL, I don't get people that think they should get a discount everytime a new phone comes out, it's absurd. People that like to buy the newest model when it comes out can usually sell their old model and with that still pay very close to the new contract price so I don't get the big deal but somebody always thinks they are entitled to anything they want. Original poster, enjoy your new phone in 6 weeks
    People want to have to pay nothing just sell the old phone and break even. If you are an early adopter of technology ..... HELLOOOO .... you are pretty much always going to have to pay more, this has not changed with new technology.
    10-08-2011 09:28 AM
    The carriers control this, not Apple.

They purchase the phone from Apple. You buy it from them. They can do whatever they want as a reseller of the phone. If they want to lose money on every phone they certainly can...

Apple has nothing to do with how the carrier treats you.
    Apple controls the price, period.

As a manager, I could discounted any device, but the iPhone.
    10-09-2011 01:24 AM
    You can chose to allow your customer to pay his contract in full and upgrade earl. This is not an Apple policy, it's an AT&T policy.

You cannot discount the price but you can certainly adjust contract terms.
    10-09-2011 01:35 AM
    You can chose to allow your customer to pay his contract in full and upgrade earl. This is not an Apple policy, it's an AT&T policy.

You cannot discount the price but you can certainly adjust contract terms.
    I was only referring to the price he pays for subsidies.
    10-09-2011 01:40 AM
    I think it's a love/hate relationship between Apple and the carriers.
    10-09-2011 01:49 AM
    I've been successful in getting ATT to grant me an early upgrade within a few weeks of my date, but that's about it. You can threaten all you want, but they won't give in.
    10-09-2011 09:24 AM
    I've found it interesting to watch people complain about not being able to upgrade when they want. I don't understand how they feel the contract they signed is no longer binding because they want a new toy. What I've noticed most is that it is with people going from same model to same model that's updated. Why does someone who bought an iPhone 4 more entitled to an earlier upgrade than someone with a variety of Android or Blackberry phone? I've seen it on the Android and Blackberry side as well. When Storm 2 came out, plenty of people thought they should be able to upgrade early because they bought the Storm 1 on the release day. Or Droid owners who thought they should be able to automatically upgrade to Droid 2 (or Droid 2 to Droid 3) because they got their phone at launch. What about Droid Eris owners? Do they not deserve an earlier upgrade because there isn't an Eris 2? I just don't understand where this sense of entitlement came from.
    10-09-2011 10:38 AM
    I've had annual upgrades at AT&T everytime. Guess they treat family plans differently or something. But nope, it's not consistent with everyone. I've also heard it depends on if you pay on time, and other factors.

Pricing and Upgrading

AT&T, like most U.S. carriers, offers a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.
    Dude thanks for posting this info. It clarifies things.
    cardfan likes this.
    10-09-2011 10:45 AM
    AT&T has a history of rolling back upgrade dates in the past to iphone users. Blame AT&T for creating expectations. You'd think now with new competitors that they'd have even more incentive to do this.

Those complaining about people not understanding contracts fail to understand that part has nothing to do with phone upgrades. You aren't signing a contract to use your phone for 2 years. You're just committing to using that carrier (and line associated with that phone) for 2 years. And if you want to stop using that line early, you pay an ETF. They don't care what you do with your phone.

But still, all the carriers have created, changed, and keep changing these upgrade eligibility rules which isn't the same as your 2 yr contract to keep your line. It's no wonder that people get upset because these rules sometimes are unwritten ones, keep changing, are not consistent, or based on vague criteria such as how much you pay, credit worthiness, time with carrier, etc. But nothing definitive.
    10-09-2011 10:47 AM
    I think you said it best...it's that sense of entitlement. Because I spend x amount of $ I should be able to upgrade. Of course exceptions are made in some circumstances. I am 13 months into my contract, I dont expect to be able to upgrade for $199 even though I have 3 lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-09-2011 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD