I recall with past launches, if you didnt preorder your iphone a few hours after launch, your delivery was pushed back a few weeks.

I also recall hearing how Apple had an issue with suppliers, and with the slow economy, they were going to have smaller quantities available.

Because of this, I got up early this morning and placed my order.

Well, now, at 6pm est. (15 hours past launch), I just checked the Apple site. All models from all carriers, will still deliver by the 14th

As a stock holder, I am always looking for little clues. I wonder if this means anything? Has the demand slowed? Did Apple beef up the supply? Was Apple playing games with supply and demand on the past launches?

thoughts?
    10-07-2011 06:44 PM
    I think the demand wasn't as high as with previous models because most that have an i4(which is pretty many) don't feel they need to upgrade. I mean I am sure they will still sell a lot of the 4s just won't be as hard to get a hold of one like with previous launches IMO.
    10-07-2011 06:47 PM
    I am coming from the Palm Pre and want the 4S, but I also want to see the Nexus Prime--whose debut just got delayed out of respect...don't know if others are waiting.
    10-07-2011 06:50 PM
    Yeah, it'd be silly and a bad business move of them to give first priority to people who did not preorder and just turned up on release day. They probably have 2 separate holds of stock - one for in-store and for online and pre-ordering.
    10-07-2011 06:51 PM
    I am coming from the Palm Pre and want the 4S, but I also want to see the Nexus Prime--whose debut just got delayed out of respect...don't know if others are waiting.
    I am also waiting to see how the prime turns out. I know some of my friends ordered later in the day today and already got a tracking # and that their phone is being shipped. Atleast doesn't look like there will be any shortages this time around.
    10-07-2011 06:51 PM
    Prime looks great but I have had enough of Android. There is only OS I continually go back to and that is iOS. And as another member said, I think a good amount of people are sticking with the iP4. I know about 14 people in my "circle" who have the IP4 and when I asked them what their plans were when it came to upgrade, only 2 of them were springing for the iP4S. The rest are waiting until next year. I really think that that attitude is going to be the same with a very large group. I am a nut and have the luxury of being able to buy each generation, I know some are not and some can but choose not to..
    10-07-2011 06:55 PM
    I think that apple I just really prepared I don't think that the demand has dropped at all.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-07-2011 06:56 PM
    I think that apple I just really prepared I don't think that the demand has dropped at all.
    The demand is no where near what it was for the i4.
    10-07-2011 06:57 PM
    Apple made alot more Iphone4S's than any other release. There goal was to not sell out quick because they knew any phone they make is gonna sell. Probaly 1 of the reasons for a post July release. Already spoke to a at&t rep that basically said they will be overstocked if you will. Everybody wanting a phone whether pre-order or not will get 1. He was sure of himself when he said that. Sales are also to be mroe than Iphone4 especially with Sprint having it now. Don't worry its a good time to have Apple stock.

Josh
    10-07-2011 07:01 PM
    I agree. It's really not. Sites all over reported customers underwhelmed with the announcement. It's going to be an awesome device and a nice boost from the i4P but like I said, most are very happy with their current 4's.
    10-07-2011 07:01 PM
    Apple made alot more Iphone4S's than any other release. There goal was to not sell out quick because they knew any phone they make is gonna sell. Probaly 1 of the reasons for a post July release. Already spoke to a at&t rep that basically said they will be overstocked if you will. Everybody wanting a phone whether pre-order or not will get 1. He was sure of himself when he said that. Sales are also to be mroe than Iphone4 especially with Sprint having it now. Don't worry its a good time to have Apple stock.

Josh
    Idk if it will sell more than the i4 I mean the amount of demand for that was crazy and even not having sprint it was still selling great a year later. The 4s will sell well but it wont be like how the 4 was.
    10-07-2011 07:04 PM
    Many carriers offering it now. Thats helps.
    10-07-2011 07:09 PM
    Prime looks great but I have had enough of Android. There is only OS I continually go back to and that is iOS. And as another member said, I think a good amount of people are sticking with the iP4. I know about 14 people in my "circle" who have the IP4 and when I asked them what their plans were when it came to upgrade, only 2 of them were springing for the iP4S. The rest are waiting until next year. I really think that that attitude is going to be the same with a very large group. I am a nut and have the luxury of being able to buy each generation, I know some are not and some can but choose not to..
    I tested the EVO for 30 days last December and generally feel the same as you on the Android OS--I didn't like it. Prime is supposed to ship w/their newest version OS, but I may feel exactly the same.

I am ready for the iPhone and am over the disappointment of HP killing off the Pre and Apple not going to 3.7-4" but I am for competition so I will wait if they (Google/Samsung) don't take too long. Hard to be patient. Though I wanted a bigger screen, my feeling is 4.65" is probably too large.
    10-07-2011 07:12 PM
    Many carriers offering it now. Thats helps.
    Right now it is only on 1 more carrier(sprint) than it was last year.
    10-07-2011 07:15 PM
    Incorrect. iPhone 4 launched with only one carrier for June 24th 2010
    10-07-2011 07:17 PM
    10-07-2011 07:35 PM
    I recall with past launches, if you didnt preorder your iphone a few hours after launch, your delivery was pushed back a few weeks.

I also recall hearing how Apple had an issue with suppliers, and with the slow economy, they were going to have smaller quantities available.

Because of this, I got up early this morning and placed my order.

Well, now, at 6pm est. (15 hours past launch), I just checked the Apple site. All models from all carriers, will still deliver by the 14th

As a stock holder, I am always looking for little clues. I wonder if this means anything? Has the demand slowed? Did Apple beef up the supply? Was Apple playing games with supply and demand on the past launches?

thoughts?
    You have to remeber Sprint ordered 25 Million iPhone's. and whoever got an iPhone 4 is stuck on a 2 year agreement, so they can get the next iPhone 5.
    10-07-2011 07:47 PM
    The factories didn't need much retooling..if any for the case the internals are easier to swap, but even with that they must have ramped up production to be able to supply all the carriers in all the countries at launch. Demand may be less in the US but they are gonna ship a ton of these world wide in 4th quarter.

Last year I ordered at 2:30PM on the first day on Att site and still got it a day before it was supposed to out.

Wife and I need bigger screens for our 50 year old eyes, but if the Galaxy S2 doesn't do it for us we can fall back on our iPhones.

Till next year and hopefully bigger screens...cause I love everything else iOS
    Last edited by Chex313; 10-07-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    DrewBear likes this.
    10-07-2011 07:51 PM
    Incorrect. iPhone 4 launched with only one carrier for June 24th 2010
    yes launched but it wasnt on only 1 carrier all year. It launched worldwide and then came to verizon. I was talking all year it doesnt really matter what it launches on.
    10-07-2011 08:34 PM
    You have to remeber Sprint ordered 25 Million iPhone's. and whoever got an iPhone 4 is stuck on a 2 year agreement, so they can get the next iPhone 5.
    The 25 million isnt all for this year though it is over a i think 2-3 year period.
    10-07-2011 08:36 PM
    - This is the first simultaneous release of a new iPhone on multiple carriers...spreads the load so to speak.
    - This is an update model, not a full refresh...so many people who are happy with iPhone 4 are sticking with it (like with the 3GS).
    - Apple had extra time this year to produce more of these phones, where as in the past they were on stricter time crunch.

...these things amongst probably 100 others that we don't know about would most likely explain why the cap wasn't met as quickly this go 'round. That said, i've read SEVERAL stories about people getting ship to dates later than the 14th, which tells me that sales are certainly not slow.

Hell...look at Android releases, you can literally walk into an empty store on an Android phone release date and buy a phone without ever seeing another person buying one...with iPhones, i'd say sales are FAR from slow if websites are crashing left and right due to pre-orders, lol.
    10-07-2011 08:45 PM
    - This is the first simultaneous release of a new iPhone on multiple carriers...spreads the load so to speak.
    - This is an update model, not a full refresh...so many people who are happy with iPhone 4 are sticking with it (like with the 3GS).
    - Apple had extra time this year to produce more of these phones, where as in the past they were on stricter time crunch.

...these things amongst probably 100 others that we don't know about would most likely explain why the cap wasn't met as quickly this go 'round. That said, i've read SEVERAL stories about people getting ship to dates later than the 14th, which tells me that sales are certainly not slow.

Hell...look at Android releases, you can literally walk into an empty store on an Android phone release date and buy a phone without ever seeing another person buying one...with iPhones, i'd say sales are FAR from slow if websites are crashing left and right due to pre-orders, lol.
    except the original droid inc that android was sold out for months with shortages.
    10-07-2011 09:08 PM
    Incorrect.

AT&T reveals that they have seen over 200,000 preorders for the iPhone 4S in the first 12 hours of sale.

For reference, last year, Apple announced that they saw a record-breaking 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders in the first day across all carriers in US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK. So, 2010's 600,000 number included all of Apple's launch carriers and over the first full day of sales.

This year, AT&T alone saw over 200,000 pre-orders in half the time. Unlike last year, the new iPhone 4S is now also available on Verizon and Sprint in the U.S, which will account for many other U.S. preorders. Despite being split across three carriers, AT&T says that this is "the most successful iPhone launch weve ever had".
    Wait for the other carriers to announce sales numbers. I'm pretty sure both Verizon & Sprint will also say that "this is the most successful iPhone launch weve ever had". It hasn't even been 24 hrs. yet.

The factories didn't need much retooling..if any for the case the internals are easier to swap, but even with that they must have ramped up production to be able to supply all the carriers in all the countries at launch.
    Exactly right. Now you know part of the reason Apple stuck to the same form factor. They knew demand was going to be astronomical and that they'd need to be able to ramp production faster than ever before.
    10-07-2011 09:26 PM
    Sales are SOOOOOOO Slow that -

Sprint just sold out of the 16gb white and black models

shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_wall.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Phones

and AT&T claims to have sold 200K pre orders in the 1st 12hrs.

news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20117529-248/at-t-200000-iphone-4s-preorders-in-12-hours/?tag=cnetRiver]AT&T:
    10-07-2011 09:40 PM
    Copied from a link below

Apple said it sold more than 600,000 of its iPhone 4, a record for just a single day of preorders.
    Read more: Apple IPhone 4 Sets Record Sales Pace -- Despite Gaffes | Fox News

Copied from another link

AT&T says that this morning's preorder session for Apple's iPhone 4S was its most successful iPhone launch yet, with the company grabbing more than 200,000 preorders in the first 12 hours the device was on sale.

"AT&T has seen extraordinary demand for iPhone 4S with more than 200,000 preorders in the first 12 hours alone, the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had," a company spokesperson said in a statement.

Read more: AT&T: 200,000 iPhone 4S preorders in 12 hours | Apple Talk - CNET News

All companies had major issues with there servers and processing. The Iphone4 preorders were a record at 600,000 units. AT&T alone sold 200,000 iphones on there website. I seriously doubt Apple,Verizon,Sprint couldn't come up with 400,000 phones with the 3 of them.

To add Sprint has 52 million customers. Can you imagine out of those 52 million customers how many want iphones.

Apple has already said they made 20 million of these things.
    10-07-2011 10:29 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD