Slow sales????

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Found more information that Iphone4S sales are going to be record breaking and far more than the Iphone4. An online market place has reported that all online marketplaces are selling iphone4's and iphone 3gs's at levels they never even imagined. Far more than the release of the iphone4. Ebay, Craigslist, Gazelle, etc are seeing the biggest used Iphone sales in there history.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Sales won't be slow. I think Apple ramped up production for sure this time around. Just imagine the numbers if T-Mobile had it too.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You are right...at this point it appears that demand is higher for the 4s than it was for the 4.

well it all depends on how much stock apple actually had for preorders. It seems that once again they kept low preorder stock to try and get more in store stock come launch day. I mean it looks good selling all those preorders but if they have tiny lines like last year with the i4 on verizon well then that wouldn't look good since everyone always says you have to wait in long lines to get an iphone.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
well it all depends on how much stock apple actually had for preorders. It seems that once again they kept low preorder stock to try and get more in store stock come launch day. I mean it looks good selling all those preorders but if they have tiny lines like last year with the i4 on verizon well then that wouldn't look good since everyone always says you have to wait in long lines to get an iphone.

Last year they had 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders and 1.1 million available for in-store pick-up on opening weekend for a total of 1.7 M sold that first weekend. This year estimates start at 1 million for pre-order and 2 million for the stores.

As for the lines, they're always going to be longer at Apple Stores vs Best Buy, Target or the carriers. It's a festive atmosphere with plenty of local vendors handing out free drinks and snacks. However, non-Apple stores will have correspondingly lower daily allotments of phones.

There's ~350 Apple Stores vs thousands of all the other outlets. Apple Stores will have many more iPhones available compared to some strip mall Verizon outlet. So someone could be 300th in line at a NYC Apple Store and get a 4S, while someone 30th in line at a Target might not.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site

Using your logic then it makes no sense to ever compare the launch of one iphone model to another. Evidently Apple simply manipulates the pre-order & in store stock for each respective launch...right?

In fact, Apple is obviously so adept at manipulating pre-order stock levels they have managed to fool all the financial analysts out there who watch Apple 24/7. Some of these analyst's sole function in life is predict/project iphone sales in the fourth quarter and to gauge Apple's current stock price and net worth. By the way, the analysts gauging Apple's net worth do not care about the launch day lines. Info on launch day lines is great for tech blogs & numerous apple forums and provides fodder for the local news stations.

At the end of the day, pre-orders and actual sales figures are what counts. We live in a time period where a greater percentage of consumer purchases occur on line. Why deal with the launch day lines and having to take time off from work when Apple and the various carriers will ship your shiny new iphone right to your door? It would not surprise me if launch day lines continue to decline in the near future.

Conspiracy theories aside, IMHO I believe Apple understands that the Android market has exploded and they need to respond accordingly. The last thing Apple wants to do is read articles about how pre-order levels were wholly inadequate to cover pre-order volume. Every individual who is unable to pre-order a 4s is a potential Android convert and potential lost customer. Obviously Apple will not be able to satisfy everyone who wants to pre-order, but they don't want articles out there proclaiming "Apple Only Had 25 4s Units Available for Pre-Order...What Were They Thinking"??

Also let's not forget the simple fact that there are more outlets in which to pre-order the 4s. Verizon and Sprint customers were able to participate in the pre-order madness.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Using your logic then it makes no sense to ever compare the launch of one iphone model to another. Evidently Apple simply manipulates the pre-order & in store stock for each respective launch...right?

In fact, Apple is obviously so adept at manipulating pre-order stock levels they have managed to fool all the financial analysts out there who watch Apple 24/7. Some of these analyst's sole function in life is predict/project iphone sales in the fourth quarter and to gauge Apple's current stock price and net worth. By the way, the analysts gauging Apple's net worth do not care about the launch day lines. Info on launch day lines is great for tech blogs & numerous apple forums and provides fodder for the local news stations.

At the end of the day, pre-orders and actual sales figures are what counts. We live in a time period where a greater percentage of consumer purchases occur on line. Why deal with the launch day lines and having to take time off from work when Apple and the various carriers will ship your shiny new iphone right to your door? It would not surprise me if launch day lines continue to decline in the near future.

Conspiracy theories aside, IMHO I believe Apple understands that the Android market has exploded and they need to respond accordingly. The last thing Apple wants to do is read articles about how pre-order levels were wholly inadequate to cover pre-order volume. Every individual who is unable to pre-order a 4s is a potential Android convert and potential lost customer. Obviously Apple will not be able to satisfy everyone who wants to pre-order, but they don't want articles out there proclaiming "Apple Only Had 25 4s Units Available for Pre-Order...What Were They Thinking"??

Also let's not forget the simple fact that there are more outlets in which to pre-order the 4s. Verizon and Sprint customers were able to participate in the pre-order madness.

Well look at it this way. If you order online they do not have the pesky sales people trying to sell you accessories and everything else, so essentially by having more stock in store they have a chance to make more money which is what the investors and everyone want. Also nice tangent you went off still doesn't change the fact that with shortages or supposed shortages it makes some want it just for that reason. No conspiracy theory just going off of what has happened in the past. Not to mention how does what I said have anything to do with comparing launches? I never said you shouldn't so idk where you are getting that from but don't put words in my mouth. thanks;)

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well look at it this way. If you order online they do not have the pesky sales people trying to sell you accessories and everything else, so essentially by having more stock in store they have a chance to make more money which is what the investors and everyone want. Also nice tangent you went off still doesn't change the fact that with shortages or supposed shortages it makes some want it just for that reason.

That's one way of looking at it. I think most people want Apple to have more iPhones available in the stores rather than for pre-orders. Even if they double production from last year, there are going to be people who wait in line and do not get iPhones next Friday. Those pesky sales people are going to be so swamped with getting people their iPhones, I doubt they'll have time to pester people into buying accessories.

It's not that Apple is creating a shortage, rather the demand is so high that they cannot make the phones quickly enough. Apple has the best supply of components and the largest manufacturing capacity for any single device. They are making as many iPhones as they possibly can to be ready for next weekend.

They don't need to generate demand with manipulated "shortages". Demand is off the charts from the first hour. They knew this and ramped up production as best they could. You're talking about moving ~$2 billion worth of product in one weekend. I don't think people realize how difficult that is to do for a new product.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Well look at it this way. If you order online they do not have the pesky sales people trying to sell you accessories and everything else, so essentially by having more stock in store they have a chance to make more money which is what the investors and everyone want. Also nice tangent you went off still doesn't change the fact that with shortages or supposed shortages it makes some want it just for that reason. No conspiracy theory just going off of what has happened in the past. Not to mention how does what I said have anything to do with comparing launches? I never said you shouldn't so idk where you are getting that from but don't put words in my mouth. thanks;)

You do know that customers are able to order all those fine accessories online right?? If you are trying to avoid the launch day lines, you are not only going to order the phone online, chances are you will order the accessories online as well. Given Apple's stock price and their overall net worth, I'm pretty sure investors won't lose any sleep at night over whether or not customers buy their accessories in the store or on line.

Your original statement was that "demand is no where near what it was for the i4". This statement was made in a thread discussing supposed slow sales of the 4s.

But you were not talking about comparing launches huh....sure. So what were you comparing???

No need to put words in your mouth Raider, your own quotes do that just fine.

Nice attempt at back peddling and trying to save face ...you ever consider a career in politics? ;)

Please...continue to enlighten us all with your accurate statements regarding demand surrounding the 4s.

Sorry for highjacking this thread folks...enjoy your new phones even though demand for it is no where near what it was for the last model.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You do know that customers are able to order all those fine accessories online right?? If you are trying to avoid the launch day lines, you are not only going to order the phone online, chances are you will order the accessories online as well. Given Apple's stock price and their overall net worth, I'm pretty sure investors won't lose any sleep at night over whether or not customers buy their accessories in the store or on line.

Your original statement was that "demand is no where near what it was for the i4". This statement was made in a thread discussing supposed slow sales of the 4s.

But you were not talking about comparing launches huh....sure. So what were you comparing???

I never said you can't order them but you don't have someone asking you multiple times if you want to buy accessories if you buy it online. Personally I hate going into a store to buy it for that sole reason. If i want accessories I will ask for them and hate when I am constantly asked if i want to buy something extra. You said and I quote, "Using your logic then it makes no sense to ever compare the launch of one iphone model to another. Evidently Apple simply manipulates the pre-order & in store stock for each respective launch...right? I never once said you can't compare launches. But like I said good try at putting words in my mouth:D

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site

I never said you can't order them but you don't have someone asking you multiple times if you want to buy accessories if you buy it online. Personally I hate going into a store to buy it for that sole reason. If i want accessories I will ask for them and hate when I am constantly asked if i want to buy something extra. You said and I quote, "Using your logic then it makes no sense to ever compare the launch of one iphone model to another. Evidently Apple simply manipulates the pre-order & in store stock for each respective launch...right? I never once said you can't compare launches. But like I said good try at putting words in my mouth:D

It's hilarious to watch you keep on back peddling....it's also somewhat sad...but mostly hilarious. :D

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's hilarious to watch you keep on back peddling....it's also somewhat sad...but mostly hilarious. :D

what because you don't like what I say? It's also hilarious to watch you try and put words in my mouth. what exactly am i backpedaling on? I still stick with what I said maybe you just can't read or comprehend that is what it seems to me anyway. Anyway enough thread jacking have fun though=)

Last edited:

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I still think its not right. Some pre-orders will be shipping a week after launch day, lol. I'm not in the pre-order category but I would be pissed getting a email saying its shipping between the 14th and 21st.

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Another thought is that Apple is using 1 chip for all carriers. So they are able to make one phone(in 3 sizes) and they could make more this way. All they would have to do is "tune" the chip to the carrier.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Redraider...im used to your trolling, but please stop quoting threads incorrectly lol, i mean it kind of does it almost 100% for you, but some how you keep screwing it up, and its kind of sad.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Redraider...im used to your trolling, but please stop quoting threads incorrectly lol, i mean it kind of does it almost 100% for you, but some how you keep screwing it up, and its kind of sad.

Nobody is trolling I was asking a question. Also I removed parts that I was not talking about no point in quoting the whole thing if you talk about 1 part. Sorry almighty one next time I'll ask for your permission beforehand. Yeah right:D

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Selling out in a few hours Ir a few days- either one is an amazing feat. Only Apple, with it's great success of late, can it be considered a failure if a new device takes a few days to sell out! We are at the point where tech sites and blogs are looking for something, howevers small, to show Apple's demise. This ain't it.

If the 4S went on sale a few months ago, the sales would have bee even higher. Now, many are waiting to purchase since it is so close to Christmas. Add to that the two extra carriers (US), the delay in the sale date with the unlocked models, and you can see why it took a longer to sell out of the initial batch.

And let's not forget the most obvious thing: the iPhone 4 is still an AMAZING phone and is now only $100 bicks a lot of people hanging on to them, but a lot of people (especially Sprint customers) likely purchased a 4.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice