Is there any solid info on 4S having 512 or 1Gig of RAM

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
IMO opinion with them not releasing info on it only points to it being 512. If it was a 1Gig Apple would be throwing it out there as a selling point. But is there anything released thats not speculation.

Josh

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That is a good question. Apple never really advertised that type of stuff similar to the clock speed of the processor. Guess we will find out come the 14th.

Capnjackk

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
i think it only has 512 in it. considering it has a dual core processor inside, i'm sure we won't be able to tell.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I really hope myself we are getting a 1GB. 512mb of ram is a year and half old technology.

Howso? RAM is not all created equally. I have a PC that has 4Gb of RAM, and the 2GB of RAM in the low-end MacBook Air is used much more efficiently. Apple are masters of optimization.

You can not just look at a spec sheet and assume it translates directly to real world performance. Android phones with 1GB of RAM and 1.2Ghz dual-core processors are often STILL lag-ridden compared to the iPhone 4.

@OP:
Apple never revealed that the iPhone 4 has 512Mb of RAM, either. Apple doesn't mention those things, it's a phone, not a computer. Apple knows that these things are not important to consumers, only real world performance is important to consumers. Most people don't even know that phones have RAM.

Reactions: melwan

elavum

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Howso? RAM is not all created equally. I have a PC that has 4Gb of RAM, and the 2GB of RAM in the low-end MacBook Air is used much more efficiently. Apple are masters of optimization.

You can not just look at a spec sheet and assume it translates directly to real world performance. Android phones with 1GB of RAM and 1.2Ghz dual-core processors are often STILL lag-ridden compared to the iPhone 4.

@OP:
Apple never revealed that the iPhone 4 has 512Mb of RAM, either. Apple doesn't mention those things, it's a phone, not a computer. Apple knows that these things are not important to consumers, only real world performance is important to consumers. Most people don't even know that phones have RAM.

I agree what matters is how it perform when assembled together.

Sent using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

@OP:

But ram plays a part in how smooth and quick it loads applications and multitasking.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
But ram plays a part in how smooth and quick it loads applications and multitasking.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

I've seen countless people on this forum say that they are completely happy with how their iPhone 4 performs, and that they've never seen any lag on the device. Compare that to something like a Galaxy S II, which still actually experiences lag and does not perform as smoothly as the iPhone 4 (especially in GPU-intensive tasks), with far beefier specs.

My point was that you can not say that just because other phones have 1GB RAM, Apple MUST use 1GB RAM, or else their phone will not perform as well. It's completely inaccurate; real world performance is not that simple. iPhone 3GS out-performed beefier phones in its day, as well. It's about optimization.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

I've seen countless people on this forum say that they are completely happy with how their iPhone 4 performs, and that they've never seen any lag on the device. Compare that to something like a Galaxy S II, which still actually experiences lag and does not perform as smoothly as the iPhone 4 (especially in GPU-intensive tasks), with far beefier specs.

My point was that you can not say that just because other phones have 1GB RAM, Apple MUST use 1GB RAM, or else their phone will not perform as well. It's completely inaccurate; real world performance is not that simple. iPhone 3GS out-performed beefier phones in its day, as well. It's about optimization.

Where did I say anything that it needs 1 gb ram? Please do point that out for me because you said that people don't know phones have ram. Plenty of people know a lot more than you think. Just because you have such knowledge( or think you do) doesn't mean everyone that buys something is clueless.:eek:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Where did I say anything that it needs 1 gb ram? Please do point that out for me because you said that people don't know phones have ram. Plenty of people know a lot more than you think. Just because you have such knowledge( or think you do) doesn't mean everyone that buys something is clueless.:eek:

I didn't say that you said that. I said that you completely ignored my point and just stated the obvious.

So, I re-stated my point in different words, hoping you might understand it this way.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I guess when you look at it theres a few things to take note of

1. Would the phone be faster in real world performance with 1Gig vs 512? Most likely
2. Is it gonna waste alot of money they won't gain back from going from 512 to 1G? No
3. If a customer was asked if they wanted double the amount of RAM then they already have? Most would say yes.
4. In late 2011 is 1Gig of RAM on a Iphone4 unreasonable? No

I really don't see any reason why it wouldn't be more than 512mb

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say that you said that. I said that you completely ignored my point and just stated the obvious.

So, I re-stated my point in different words, hoping you might understand it this way.

No you said ram has nothing to do with how smooth a phone is when in fact it does. Maybe you can't read what you wrote but maybe go back and check and then maybe understand your own point. :rolleyes:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
No you said ram has nothing to do with how smooth a phone is when in fact it does. Maybe you can't read what you wrote but maybe go back and check and then maybe understand your own point. :rolleyes:

1st Post:
"Howso? RAM is not all created equally. I have a PC that has 4Gb of RAM, and the 2GB of RAM in the low-end MacBook Air is used much more efficiently. Apple are masters of optimization.

@OP:
Apple never revealed that the iPhone 4 has 512Mb of RAM, either. Apple doesn't mention those things, it's a phone, not a computer. Apple knows that these things are not important to consumers, only real world performance is important to consumers. Most people don't even know that phones have RAM."

2nd Post:
"Thank you, Captain Obvious.

My point was that you can not say that just because other phones have 1GB RAM, Apple MUST use 1GB RAM, or else their phone will not perform as well. It's completely inaccurate; real world performance is not that simple. iPhone 3GS out-performed beefier phones in its day, as well. It's about optimization."

Please, since I am clearly incapable of reading my own writing, highlight the part where I said "ram has nothing to do with how smooth a phone is".

For the third and final time, my point was that Apple is excellent at optimization, and that they can get better performance out of less RAM (than their competitors) because of their superior optimization.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for the iFixIt teardown on or about 10/14. That will settle the issue.

Ultimately, does it really matter? You either bought one or you didn't. Either way, it will work with SIRI.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73