Been with Android for several years (and I do like it) but my company will stop supporting them soon, so I am making the switch to iPhone. Actually looking forward to it quite a bit :-)

I do NOT make calls with my Google Voice account. In fact, I never use the number. However, I do use the Google Voice app on Android as my 'Visual Voicemail' - works great. All calls that go to answering machine go directly to Google Voice, where I can listen to the messages on my Droid or on a computer.

Is this possible on a Verizon iPhone? I know there is a Google Voice app, but does anyone know if I can set it up to replace the default visual voicemail on an iPhone? The reason I would like to do this is because I like having the voicemails in one location where I can listen to them online if needed, save them, forward them easily with my Google Voice account, etc.

I found instructions that seem dated and seem to apply to a GSM iPhone here:
    w ww.clicksandbits.com/2009/03/21/forward-iphone-to-google-voice/]Forward]Forward iPhone voicemail to Google Voice Clicks and Bits[/url] iPhone voicemail to Google Voice Clicks and Bits
    *It wouldn't let me post the link because my post count is not high enough yet...

Anyone know if these apply to a CDMA iPhone also?

Thanks in advance!!
    10-07-2011 05:06 PM
    It is technically possible, but whether the iPhone 4S will allow it or not, I don't know. I can probably guess that it won't.
    templetonryecy likes this.
    10-08-2011 10:47 AM
    you can use the voicemail app for google voice however the built in visual voicemail application works much better it comes stock with all iPhones... you will probably like it a lot better
    10-08-2011 10:56 AM
    You can set it up straight from your Google Voice account. But unless you're using GV as your primary number, you will find visual voicemail every bit as good.
    10-10-2011 06:26 AM
    you can use the voicemail app for google voice however the built in visual voicemail application works much better it comes stock with all iPhones... you will probably like it a lot better
    I've played with friends' iPhones and do really enjoy the built in voicemail. iPhone does it well, no doubt about it. But again, using Google Voice as my voicemail app allows me to listen to voicemails online, forward them to others online, etc. Google Voice also attempts to transcribe voicemails. It doesn't work great all the time but is helpful for short messages. If I can set the Google Voice app on my Verizon iPhone to be the default voicemail app on my iPhone in a similar fashion I'm currently doing on Android, I think that would be ideal.

Any instruction on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again.
    Last edited by jsb15; 10-10-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    10-10-2011 09:17 AM
    I've played with friends' iPhones and do really enjoy the built in voicemail. iPhone does it well, no doubt about it. But again, using Google Voice as my voicemail app allows me to listen to voicemails online, forward them to others online, etc. If I can set the Google Voice app on my Verizon iPhone to be the default voicemail app on my iPhone in a similar fashion I'm currently doing on Android, I think that would be ideal.

Any instruction on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again.
    you can set up your Google Voice visual voicemail on the iPhone without a problem. When I first came over from Android with the iPhone 4 I had a hard-on for GVisual Voicemail. After a while, I transitioned to the stock Apple Visual Voicemail and I like it.
    10-10-2011 09:22 AM
    you can set up your Google Voice visual voicemail on the iPhone without a problem. When I first came over from Android with the iPhone 4 I had a hard-on for GVisual Voicemail. After a while, I transitioned to the stock Apple Visual Voicemail and I like it.
    Yeah I'm thinking I will give them both a try.

To setup GVoice as my default voicemail app on iPhone, what do I need to do specifically to set it up (Verizon)?

Do I simply need to dial *71(insert GVoice # here) and that does the trick? Or are there specific settings in Google Voice (on the web) that I'll want to make sure I have setup also?

Thanks
    10-10-2011 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD