AT&T plans a 4G upgrade for the iPhone in name only

Seth Weintraub iOS Devices Speak up! (0)

Perhaps looking to differentiate its service from the other two US carriers, AT&T is working with Apple to get a 4G icon on the iPhone 4S when it hits its HSPA+ network according to the Verge.

The move would seem to try to further differentiate AT&Ts network which is already significantly faster than Sprint or Verizons (and theoretically double the iPhone 4 speed).

source
    10-07-2011 04:18 PM
    I'm all for that. Even if it's fake 4G and all, it'd be nice to know when i'm in their enhanced 3G area.
    10-07-2011 04:22 PM
    I'm all for that. Even if it's fake 4G and all, it'd be nice to know when i'm in their enhanced 3G area.
    It's not really "fake", but it's not true 4G, either. The intent is to indicate that you are getting the fast HSPA+ speeds of up to 14.4Mbps.
    10-07-2011 04:28 PM
    No network in USA has true 4g yet they just call it 4G but the actual speed is not near close to true 4G

"Think Different"
    ~ Steve Jobs ~
    10-07-2011 04:34 PM
    AT&T plans a 4G upgrade for the iPhone in name only

Seth Weintraub iOS Devices Speak up! (0)

Perhaps looking to differentiate its service from the other two US carriers, AT&T is working with Apple to get a 4G icon on the iPhone 4S when it hits its HSPA+ network according to the Verge.

The move would seem to try to further differentiate AT&Ts network which is already significantly faster than Sprint or Verizons (and theoretically double the iPhone 4 speed).

source

On AT&T.com it says iPhone 4S with a little 4G symbol next to it: PDAs & Smartphones - from AT&T

its in the upper right hand corner.
    10-07-2011 04:38 PM
    No network in USA has true 4g yet they just call it 4G but the actual speed is not near close to true 4G
    No network in the world is true 4G until voice is carried over LTE. Plus the ITU said HSPA+ qualifie as 4g. "Think again"

As for the 4g icon, not a bad idea.
    10-07-2011 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD