Just a heads up: I got an email from AT&T this morning, telling me that my 4S order (that I stayed up until 3 am trying to place) couldn't go through, because they couldn't verify my credit card. Called AT&T and they said their system is having problems processing Visa cards and that several orders are being rejected. They tried to blame it on Visa, but who knows. They were unable to change my credit card to a non Visa card and I was told that all they can do is resubmit the order and hope that somehow, it goes through this time. If not, I go to the back of the line with everyone else who attempts to get a phone when it's released. They claim they just found out about the error this morning and that's why they didn't put any mention of the problem on their site, so people could use a different card.

Regardless, just thought I'd make folks aware about this, if they don't know already. Don't use a Visa card when ordering your phone.

Incidentally, I tried to send a tip to TIPB about this so they could warn people, but their contact page works about as well as AT&T's ordering system. So please, spread the word. Don't use Visa if you want your phone. At least if you want it sometime before 2012.
    10-07-2011 10:30 AM
    Just a heads up: I got an email from AT&T this morning, telling me that my 4S order (that I stayed up until 3 am trying to place) couldn't go through, because they couldn't verify my credit card. Called AT&T and they said their system is having problems processing Visa cards and that several orders are being rejected. They tried to blame it on Visa, but who knows. They were unable to change my credit card to a non Visa card and I was told that all they can do is resubmit the order and hope that somehow, it goes through this time. If not, I go to the back of the line with everyone else who attempts to get a phone when it's released. They claim they just found out about the error this morning and that's why they didn't put any mention of the problem on their site, so people could use a different card.

Regardless, just thought I'd make folks aware about this, if they don't know already. Don't use a Visa card when ordering your phone.

Incidentally, I tried to send a tip to TIPB about this so they could warn people, but their contact page works about as well as AT&T's ordering system. So please, spread the word. Don't use Visa if you want your phone. At least if you want it sometime before 2012.

Thanks for the heads up, Is this only a problem on AT&T or all the carriers?
    10-07-2011 10:32 AM
    I used VISA and it went through fine...

AT&T always has some kind of issue when a new iPhone comes out because their systems get absolutely raped with traffic, and this is no different...i doubt it has anything at all to do with VISA, but to play down their own issues (as they always have), they try and push blame around a little bit.

Just to put it out there again, i used VISA, and had zero problems.
    10-07-2011 10:34 AM
    They said it's not affecting all Visa cards, but they've had several orders kicked back because they were unable to verify them. What I don't get is why they can't just change the card you placed the order with, but of course, they can't. The lady on the phone was very pleasant, but the bottom line is that there's very little chance I'm gonna get my phone and AT&T doesn't seem to give a crap one way or the other.

Bottom line: regardless of the fact that some people used a Visa card with no issues, it's smarter to NOT use Visa when ordering your phone. You may get lucky- and then again you may not. Why take chances.
    10-07-2011 10:36 AM
    I used VISA also had had zero problems. I can successfully track my order via AT&T's website and it says In Progress.
    10-07-2011 10:38 AM
    Well ding ding for you, but I'd still recommend that folks not use Visa if possible.
    10-07-2011 10:50 AM
    Well ding ding for you, but I'd still recommend that folks not use Visa if possible.
    lol...calm down bud. So you had an issue pre-ordering an iPhone, what's new? Why recommend something to someone that isn't a sure thing? My sister just pre-ordered hers with a VISA card and had zero issues as well, so it seems to me that IF (i repeat...IF) there is an issue with VISA, its very hit or miss...

And given AT&T's track record, i'd put 1,000,000% of the blame for this issue on them, without a second thought.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-07-2011 10:54 AM
    Hey, glad your sister is getting her phone. Tell her to give me a call sometime and let me know how she likes it.

But regardless, hit or miss or not- the issue is real, whether it affected you or not.

Again, for the folks out there who are pre-ordering: don't use Visa. Maybe you'll get lucky like this guy and his sister, but then again, maybe not.

And SeanHRCC, do me a favor and don't chime in right after me to say that it's hit or miss, there's always problems, calm down, etc, etc. Just let the information get out there, so people can avoid the kind of problems I've encountered.

You don't need to validate this issue in order for it to exist.
    10-07-2011 11:07 AM
    I just got off the phone with them, paid with Visa, and all was good.
    10-07-2011 11:08 AM
    GF used her Visa just fine. This is not a widespread problem.
    10-07-2011 11:13 AM
    Well maybe it's just me then. Not sure why AT&T would lie to me, but I guess they must have their reasons.
    10-07-2011 11:15 AM
    You cant tell people not to use Visa just because you had a sour experience. Maybe tell your story and move on but flapping your hands in the air whilst holding DANGER DANGER signs is overkill. Sorry you had a bad experience but from the looks of it, most are getting along just fine. And as another said, ATT has an issue every year with iPhone releases.
    10-07-2011 11:16 AM
    Hey, glad your sister is getting her phone. Tell her to give me a call sometime and let me know how she likes it.

But regardless, hit or miss or not- the issue is real, whether it affected you or not.

Again, for the folks out there who are pre-ordering: don't use Visa. Maybe you'll get lucky like this guy and his sister, but then again, maybe not.

And SeanHRCC, do me a favor and don't chime in right after me to say that it's hit or miss, there's always problems, calm down, etc, etc. Just let the information get out there, so people can avoid the kind of problems I've encountered.

Well, maybe we shouldn't be using cell phones at all - what with the cancer risk/scare and all from the radiation.

And how did I survive growing up in a time when we could ride bicycles without helmets?

I could go on with a hundred things that COULD go wrong or that we should not do.

Relax, it will all work out. If AT&T can process the VISA, you will get a notification with a phone number to call or instructions to visit a store to sort it all out.

Stop mashing on the panic button. It's just a phone. Yeah, it's the latest, greatest iPhone, but it's STILL just a phone.
    10-07-2011 11:17 AM
    Well maybe it's just me then. Not sure why AT&T would lie to me, but I guess they must have their reasons.
    Yeah, this rant would not be complete without the "conspiracy card" being played. Well done, sir.
    Xm_jdm likes this.
    10-07-2011 11:18 AM
    ♫ I've got a feeling, somebody's watching meeeee... ♫
    10-07-2011 11:21 AM

Oh...did i strike a nerve? lol...hey bud, go have a beer or something, cool off a little bit. You're screaming to the world that VISA isn't working, I'm posting that i'm finding people (including myself) that haven't had that issue...i just asked the lady who works in my precinct who also pre-ordered her phone (about 2 hours ago) and she said she had no problems, and also used VISA...

Bottom line, it's not hitting the net as a wide spread issue, so I'm guessing its still pretty isolated, and that's no reason to shout to the heavens to avoid using VISA, since its obvious still working for a lot of people.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-07-2011 11:30 AM
    VISA berry, berry good to me.
    10-07-2011 11:33 AM
    "You cant tell people not to use Visa just because you had a sour experience."

Uh yes. Yes I can. And I did. And anyone who reads this thread probably won't use Visa now, because why take chances. As I said, AT&T told me they're having issues with Visa cards and certain orders are being kicked back. I'm reporting what they said to me, plain and simple. You wanna use Visa anyhow, be my guest. I certainly can't stop anyone but I thought I'd report the info, so maybe I can save someone some grief.

I gotta say, I enjoy how if anyone expresses any concern, they get stuff like "relax" and "quit pushing the panic button!" I'm perfectly calm and I'm not panicking. I'm just sharing info. I kinda got the impression that that's what these forums were for. I get a little scared when I see so many posts trying to curb the spread of info, rather than encourage it.
    10-07-2011 11:37 AM
    I actually did have an issue with my VISA card, but it happened differently. Pre-ordering through Sprint as a new customer, it would not take either my or my wife's cards, saying they were invalid. Used a debit card instead to purchase, but apparently we got a fraud detection call from our bank this morning about our credit cards. Coincidence?
    10-07-2011 11:39 AM
    And SeanHRCC, you didn't strike a nerve.

I'd really like you to have your sister call me.

I think that would be nice.
    10-07-2011 11:41 AM
    "You cant tell people not to use Visa just because you had a sour experience."

Uh yes. Yes I can. And I did. And anyone who reads this thread probably won't use Visa now, because why take chances. As I said, AT&T told me they're having issues with Visa cards and certain orders are being kicked back. I'm reporting what they said to me, plain and simple. You wanna use Visa anyhow, be my guest. I certainly can't stop anyone but I thought I'd report the info, so maybe I can save someone some grief.

I gotta say, I enjoy how if anyone expresses any concern, they get stuff like "relax" and "quit pushing the panic button!" I'm perfectly calm and I'm not panicking. I'm just sharing info. I kinda got the impression that that's what these forums were for. I get a little scared when I see so many posts trying to curb the spread of info, rather than encourage it.
    You're jumping the gun is what you are doing...because YOU had an issue and you assumed it was a wide spread issue. Reporting it is one thing...you're instructing people to take immediate and severe action by not using a VISA, which most likely will work just fine for them.

Quit taking this so personally man...nobody is here to tell you what happened to you is no big deal for YOU, but from what i can see, it doesn't really seem to be happening much because i haven't found a person who pre-ordered that had an issue like this, and there's nothing online of any legitimacy about it.

You're responding to an isolated issue like its a fire storm...use some tact bud!
    10-07-2011 11:45 AM
    And SeanHRCC, you didn't strike a nerve.

I'd really like you to have your sister call me.

I think that would be nice.
    And the sister jokes? lol...pitiful bud. A little bit funny, but pitiful...very elementary school playground'ish sweetheart.
    10-07-2011 11:48 AM
    "you're instructing people to take immediate and severe action by not using a VISA, which most likely will work just fine for them."

"Immediate and severe action?" I'm letting them know visa may not work, not calling for a dictator to be beheaded. I'm passing along the info I got from AT&T, that's all. And since it's obvious that a card that's NOT a visa will likely have NO issue, they may as well sidestep the problem entirely and use their non visa card.

It's just a heads up for anyone who hasn't pre ordered yet.

Why does it have to be a "widespread issue" before I can inform people about it? Let them get the info and make up their own minds.

By the way, why hasn't your sister called me yet? I want to ask her what color phone she got.
    10-07-2011 11:51 AM
    Nah, sister jokes are great.

Calling people "bud" and using the term "lol," I'm not so sure about.
    10-07-2011 11:52 AM
    So the moral of the story, the OP had issues with his order going through. It happens. The banter is not needed and there is not much else to discuss here.

Thread closed.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-07-2011 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD