I am trying to buy mine on ATT.com but cannot find an option for Applecare...?
    10-07-2011 08:33 AM
    I am trying to buy mine on ATT.com but cannot find an option for Applecare...?
    Did you check to see if Apple.com is selling some sort of Applecare? If not, you could contact ATT and see if you can buy it in store or over the phone, good luck
    10-07-2011 08:35 AM
    I saw the check box for it during the purchase on the screen with the accessories. It was a check box for $99.99 I believe.

EDIT - I got mine for AT&T through the Apple Online Store, not AT&T's website.
    10-07-2011 08:36 AM
    It only shows me cases and chargers in the accessories screen. It has to be purchased at the same time, so it can't be an afterpurchase add-on.

ETA: ah, im on att's site. apple keeps trying to change my plan entirely.
    zackawee27 likes this.
    10-07-2011 08:37 AM
    It only shows me cases and chargers in the accessories screen. It has to be purchased at the same time, so it can't be an afterpurchase add-on.

ETA: ah, im on att's site. apple keeps trying to change my plan entirely.
    Haha, its alright, just add the order from Apples site to you're at&t order
    10-07-2011 08:41 AM
    One problem is that Apple's Order Status page is down. You can't check or modify anything right now.

It has that "We'll be back soon" message.

But when I placed my AT&T 4S order, I DID see the Applecare option there along with the other "optional" stuff during the process. But as I said, it was only on Apple's site. I didn't order through ATT.com.
    10-07-2011 08:44 AM
    You can always add Applecare later. Or get a Squaretrade warranty.
    zackawee27 likes this.
    10-07-2011 08:45 AM
    Yup...you can buy Applecare (and Applecare +) anytime within the first 12 months of ownership...
    10-07-2011 08:46 AM
    You can always add Applecare later. Or get a Squaretrade warranty.
    Not AppleCare+. I pre-ordered on At&t's site and it wasn't there at all. Check out Apple's site which states it has to be added on at the time of purchase.

iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)

They better make some exception for those who ordered fromi AT&T.
    10-07-2011 09:54 AM
    Not AppleCare+. I pre-ordered on At&t's site and it wasn't there at all. Check out Apple's site which states it has to be added on at the time of purchase.

iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)

They better make some exception for those who ordered fromi AT&T.
    I spoke with a person at the Apple store locally...they said that both Apple Care plans can be added anytime within the first year of ownership, as has always been the case.

I'm assuming that now, when people come into the store with a cracked screen and ask if they will fix it under warranty, they'll simply say "We can, but you'll need to purchase the Apple Care + warranty first", and then go through the process at that time.
    mysimba97 likes this.
    10-07-2011 10:20 AM
    Well the kid I was talking to at the ATT store just called me at work to tell me that I need to buy online bec their supply is at the pickup on the 21st now.
    10-07-2011 10:20 AM
    I just realized that it also has a $49 service fee...combine that with the $99 cost of the plan, and you've just spent what it costs to have the screen replaced out of warranty anyways...lol.
    10-07-2011 10:23 AM
    I spoke with a person at the Apple store locally...they said that both Apple Care plans can be added anytime within the first year of ownership, as has always been the case.

I'm assuming that now, when people come into the store with a cracked screen and ask if they will fix it under warranty, they'll simply say "We can, but you'll need to purchase the Apple Care + warranty first", and then go through the process at that time.
    Apple's site says different...

"AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details."
    10-07-2011 10:23 AM
    Apple's site says different...

"AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details."
    I understand what it says...i read it clearly. I'm just letting you know what one of the employees told me, but honestly, employees have said things that are total BS, and the website has rules that Apple regularly ignores.

Not to mention what i posted above about the cost...lol.
    10-07-2011 10:25 AM
    Well let's cross our fingers we can add it later on. I'm hoping Apple will curve on this. Like requiring that it be added the first month or something.
    10-07-2011 10:40 AM
    I can assure you...and guarantee you 100% that if there is an issue where people WANT to buy the Apple Care + plan, but are unable to during the purchase process, that Apple will extend the ability to do so to every person who buys an iPhone 4S.
    10-07-2011 10:44 AM
    10-07-2011 11:52 AM
    Sound advice Sean. Not to mention the fact you don't need to buy this. Apple care that comes with phone is enough for me. Heck, my sister exchanged her iphone 4 like 10 times with it. Of course, she drops it like 10 times a day as well. IMO, you don't need insurance. If it comes to that, pay the out of warranty repair.
    10-07-2011 11:57 AM
    I bought it through Apple.com. I decided to just go for it this way. Im paying full price anyway.
    10-07-2011 12:00 PM

I was told the exact opposite, that you cannot buy it anytime post purchase, it must be done at the same time, and so far Verizon isn't selling it and I don't see it from either Sprint or AT&T either. I am trying to get answers on how pre-order carrier (Verizon in my case) customers get it if they can't from the carrier.
    10-08-2011 04:55 PM
    I got through on AT&T's site first, but when it didn't offer me AppleCare+, I kept trying on Apple's site, so that I could purchase it together, just in case they wouldn't let me add it on later. I would think they would let you add it on later, even if it's within the first 30 days or so.
    10-08-2011 08:07 PM
    I was told the exact opposite, that you cannot buy it anytime post purchase, it must be done at the same time, and so far Verizon isn't selling it and I don't see it from either Sprint or AT&T either. I am trying to get answers on how pre-order carrier (Verizon in my case) customers get it if they can't from the carrier.
    The person i spoke to initially was misinformed, and while changing the address on my wife's order since she'll be at work and wants me to pick it up with mine, i asked again and they said that details are being worked out on getting the "plus" plan available to all iPhone purchasers, but they had no further details.
    10-08-2011 08:10 PM
    I just realized that it also has a $49 service fee...combine that with the $99 cost of the plan, and you've just spent what it costs to have the screen replaced out of warranty anyways...lol.
    Yes but with an out of warranty repair you only get 90 days warranty. With AppleCare+ you get two incidents of accidental damage ($49 deductible per incident) as well an additional year of warranty coverage (total of two years). Look at it like this: if you have Applecare+ and you break your iPhone in the first year it costs $49 to get a new one. After that you still have over a year of coverage. Of your screen goes out- new iPhone. Then you still have whatever coverage is left on your AppleCare+, including another accidental damage incident. Out of warranty that all would cost over $400 (not including the original price of the phone). With AppleCare+ the total cost: $150.

If you ever plan on handing your phone over to someone to look at it, get AppleCare+. If you have kids, get AppleCare+. The additional $20 cost over regular AppleCare makes it a steal.

Now I just have to call Apple about adding it to my AA&T web purchase. I would have rather purchased my 4S from Apple but their website was down and it wasn't possible.
    10-10-2011 11:18 AM
    I got through on AT&T's site first, but when it didn't offer me AppleCare+, I kept trying on Apple's site, so that I could purchase it together, just in case they wouldn't let me add it on later. I would think they would let you add it on later, even if it's within the first 30 days or so.
    Apple will need to do something for us customers who were unable to purchase the phone directly through Apple. I can understand why Apple requires AppleCare+ to purchased at the same time a the iPhone (if someone breaks their iPhone they can just go buy AppleCare+ rather than pay for the full repair) but since it was not possible for many of us to purchase the iPhone directly from Apple due to website issues, there should be a concession. I am going to call Apple before friday to see if I can purchase it. Should be able to since I don't even have the phone yet. I'll post here to update everyone.
    10-10-2011 11:23 AM
    I called Apple phone sales and got some info about purchasing AppleCare+. As always, you can purchase AppleCare (non-accidental damage, $79) anytime within the initial 1 year warranty. You can purchase it from the Apple Store online, Apple tele-sales or an Apple Store.

As for AppleCare+ (accidental damage, $99) while it is required to purchase it at the same time when ordering online or via tele-sales, the Apple rep told me I could go into an Apple Store and purchase AppleCare+ on its own, without a purchase of an iPhone. I asked weather I should purchase it before I receive my iPhone 4S from AT&T or wait until I get it, she said wait. She said it is not available for separate purchase online or the phone.

I will be going to a my local Apple Store this week to try and purchase AppleCare+ and will post here to let everyone know if the phone rep was correct.
    Piper Doon likes this.
    10-10-2011 12:06 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD