No Applecare offering on ATT?

therandomone

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I got through on AT&T's site first, but when it didn't offer me AppleCare+, I kept trying on Apple's site, so that I could purchase it together, just in case they wouldn't let me add it on later. I would think they would let you add it on later, even if it's within the first 30 days or so.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was told the exact opposite, that you cannot buy it anytime post purchase, it must be done at the same time, and so far Verizon isn't selling it and I don't see it from either Sprint or AT&T either. I am trying to get answers on how pre-order carrier (Verizon in my case) customers get it if they can't from the carrier.

The person i spoke to initially was misinformed, and while changing the address on my wife's order since she'll be at work and wants me to pick it up with mine, i asked again and they said that details are being worked out on getting the "plus" plan available to all iPhone purchasers, but they had no further details.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that it also has a $49 service fee...combine that with the $99 cost of the plan, and you've just spent what it costs to have the screen replaced out of warranty anyways...lol.

Yes but with an out of warranty repair you only get 90 days warranty. With AppleCare+ you get two incidents of accidental damage ($49 deductible per incident) as well an additional year of warranty coverage (total of two years). Look at it like this: if you have Applecare+ and you break your iPhone in the first year it costs $49 to get a new one. After that you still have over a year of coverage. Of your screen goes out- new iPhone. Then you still have whatever coverage is left on your AppleCare+, including another accidental damage incident. Out of warranty that all would cost over $400 (not including the original price of the phone). With AppleCare+ the total cost: $150.

If you ever plan on handing your phone over to someone to look at it, get AppleCare+. If you have kids, get AppleCare+. The additional $20 cost over regular AppleCare makes it a steal.

Now I just have to call Apple about adding it to my AA&T web purchase. I would have rather purchased my 4S from Apple but their website was down and it wasn't possible.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I got through on AT&T's site first, but when it didn't offer me AppleCare+, I kept trying on Apple's site, so that I could purchase it together, just in case they wouldn't let me add it on later. I would think they would let you add it on later, even if it's within the first 30 days or so.

Apple will need to do something for us customers who were unable to purchase the phone directly through Apple. I can understand why Apple requires AppleCare+ to purchased at the same time a the iPhone (if someone breaks their iPhone they can just go buy AppleCare+ rather than pay for the full repair) but since it was not possible for many of us to purchase the iPhone directly from Apple due to website issues, there should be a concession. I am going to call Apple before friday to see if I can purchase it. Should be able to since I don't even have the phone yet. I'll post here to update everyone.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Called Apple

I called Apple phone sales and got some info about purchasing AppleCare+. As always, you can purchase AppleCare (non-accidental damage, $79) anytime within the initial 1 year warranty. You can purchase it from the Apple Store online, Apple tele-sales or an Apple Store.

As for AppleCare+ (accidental damage, $99) while it is required to purchase it at the same time when ordering online or via tele-sales, the Apple rep told me I could go into an Apple Store and purchase AppleCare+ on its own, without a purchase of an iPhone. I asked weather I should purchase it before I receive my iPhone 4S from AT&T or wait until I get it, she said wait. She said it is not available for separate purchase online or the phone.

I will be going to a my local Apple Store this week to try and purchase AppleCare+ and will post here to let everyone know if the phone rep was correct.

Reactions: Piper Doon

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I called Apple phone sales and got some info about purchasing AppleCare+. As always, you can purchase AppleCare (non-accidental damage, $79) anytime within the initial 1 year warranty. You can purchase it from the Apple Store online, Apple tele-sales or an Apple Store.

As for AppleCare+ (accidental damage, $99) while it is required to purchase it at the same time when ordering online or via tele-sales, the Apple rep told me I could go into an Apple Store and purchase AppleCare+ on its own, without a purchase of an iPhone. I asked weather I should purchase it before I receive my iPhone 4S from AT&T or wait until I get it, she said wait. She said it is not available for separate purchase online or the phone.

I will be going to a my local Apple Store this week to try and purchase AppleCare+ and will post here to let everyone know if the phone rep was correct.

They told me they same. Curious to know. yes please post back.

!BigTex71

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered my 4S from the Apple online store on the morning of the 7th. I did not see anywhere to order AppleCare+ during my order. I heard others had this same issue and had contacted Apple. I didn't contact Apple because I never buy insurance for my phones anyway.

I received an email from Apple yesterday stating Applecare+ was not availble at the time of my order and I could click on a link in the email or contact Apple to get the AppleCare+ added to my order.

Pretty good customer service to fix the problem. I still haven't decided if I want/need the insurance since I have never had an issue with a phone before and I plan to get an Otterbox case. If it wasn't for the $49 per instance service fee on top of the actual insurance coverage, I would definitely purchase it. But that is opening a whole new can of worms for a different discussion thread.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am interested as well on your outcome. The Apple Store in my area could not sell me AppleCare+ last Friday when I went in so hopefully if I go in on Thursday with my Verizon order info they can help out, but I am very skeptical on this.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll be happy to use the insurance that AT&T provides.

$200 gets you a brand new device, wrapped in plastic. Whether it's 16/32/64 gb.

I can sell the cracked screen or non working device for $300. Look at all the damaged devices on eBay and how much they're going for right now. There are people who fix them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I placed my order on AT&T's site Friday morning and was NOT given an option to add AppleCare+. I called AT&T and they didn't even know what I was talking about. I then called Apple and they told me I would just have to take my unopened iPhone 4S to the nearest Apple Store and they could add it. Well I said, I should't have to do that because the nearest Apple store is pretty far away.

I then read on MacRumors that Apple was gonna issue some sort of statement that all people who pre-ordered are able to add AppleCare+ if it wasn't given as an option. We'll have 30 days or something. But I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt until Apple says something.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll be happy to use the insurance that AT&T provides.

$200 gets you a brand new device, wrapped in plastic. Whether it's 16/32/64 gb.

I can sell the cracked screen or non working device for $300. Look at all the damaged devices on eBay and how much they're going for right now. There are people who fix them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AT&T allows you to keep the broken iPhone? Not bad. Still, with AppleCare+ not onlyndomyou get replacement but you also get warranty coverage for an additional year. Does AT&T insurance come with that?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
AT&T allows you to keep the broken iPhone? Not bad. Still, with AppleCare+ not onlyndomyou get replacement but you also get warranty coverage for an additional year. Does AT&T insurance come with that?

It's not that AT&T let's you keep the broken iPhone. If you file a claim you go through the third party insurance, which in this case happens to be Asurion. And no, if you are getting the phone swapped out through the insurance you have to send in the non working phone within a certain period of time, otherwise they bill you the full price for the replacement phone. Since AppleCare+ doesn't cover lost/stolen, I'd say it is a matter of why you need a replacement as to whether it is cheaper or not. If you lost or had your 16GB iPhone 4S stolen with AppleCare+ (example), you could end up paying out $599. + tax for a brand new one. With Asurion, you'll get a replacement for $199. Btw, yes, AT&T's wireless insurance also covers warranty issues as well, so people that still have this on their line after the first year can have their device replaced if their is a warranty issue with the phone.

AT&T's wireless insurance as of Oct. 7th for the iPhone is $6.99/month, which comes out to $83.88/year. The deductible is $199. per incident with a max of 2 per year. Having a damaged phone replaced with AppleCare+ is definitely going to be cheaper in the long run, however, needing a replacement due to lost/stolen is cheaper with Asurion.

Last edited:

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not that AT&T let's you keep the broken iPhone. If you file a claim you go through the third party insurance, which in this case happens to be Asurion. And no, if you are getting the phone swapped out through the insurance you have to send in the non working phone within a certain period of time, otherwise they bill you the full price for the replacement phone. Since AppleCare+ doesn't cover lost/stolen, I'd say it is a matter of why you need a replacement as to whether it is cheaper or not. If you lost or had your 16GB iPhone 4S stolen with AppleCare+ (example), you could end up paying out $599. + tax for a brand new one. With Asurion, you'll get a replacement for $199. Btw, yes, AT&T's wireless insurance also covers warranty issues as well, so people that still have this on their line after the first year can have their device replaced if their is a warranty issue with the phone.

AT&T's wireless insurance as of Oct. 7th for the iPhone is $6.99/month, which comes out to $83.88/year. The deductible is $199. per incident with a max of 2 per year. Having a damaged phone replaced with AppleCare+ is definitely going to be cheaper in the long run, however, needing a replacement due to lost/stolen is cheaper with Asurion.
Great info! Thanks for that.

For me, it looks like AppleCare+ will be the way to go. I know that if my iPhone is damaged or if it is malfunctioning I can simply go to my local AppleStore and walk out with a new phone within minutes (with an appointment, of course). To me that is worth a lot.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay! I just got off the phone with my local Apple Store (Austin, the Domain) and after I asked about AppleCare+ she put me on hold and checked with her manager. I was told the only way to get it is at the same time with purchase of the new phone through Apple.

I asked if it was in stock or available for purchase now with an iPhone 4 or 3GS and she said it is not out yet and will launch on Friday. She did say that they could have more info after the launch on Friday as to how (or if) those of us who purchased the iPhone through a carrier (rather than directly from Apple) would be able to get it.

I am getting the feeling that AppleCare+ has more interest than even Apple assumed there would be. It would be a shame if Apple would not accommodate those of us who want it. I would have purchased it from Apple when pre-ordering the 4S but since Apple's website was not working, I had to pre-order it from AT&T.

Some have mentioned bringing a new, unopened iPhone 4S to an Apple Store will allow Apple to sell you AppleCare+ but I hardly doubt many of us will wait and not tear open that box ASAP when it arrives on our doorstep. And what about those who purchase it from a carrier store? Don't they open it before you leave to activate it? And what about those who don't have an Apple Store near them?

I will find out more on Friday and post here. The quest continues!

ILiveOnWacker

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Found this article and thought it was helpful. I'm still worried about Apple not allowing me to get AppleCare+ but this sounds promising:

Edit: I can't post links, but if someone else goes to tuaw.com and can post it that would be great!

The post is labeled "how-to-add-apple-care-to-your-early-iphone-4s-order"

Reactions: !BigTex71

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Found this article and thought it was helpful. I'm still worried about Apple not allowing me to get AppleCare+ but this sounds promising:

Edit: I can't post links, but if someone else goes to tuaw.com and can post it that would be great!

The post is labeled "how-to-add-apple-care-to-your-early-iphone-4s-order"

I have seen that info on other websites as well. People say that someone at Apple told them that they will be able to purchase AppleCare+ within 30 days of the iPhone purchase, regardless of where they got it. The only problem I have with this info is that there is no general consensus of a policy by Apple. I called AppleCare- they don't know. Two Apple Stores- they don't know. Called Apple Tele-Sales and they don't know either. Some Apple stores and some AppleCare reps are telling people the 30 day rule but clearly it is not a policy since not everyone knows this.

I think we will know more when AppleCare+ is released this Friday. Here is hoping, since I plan on buying AppleCare for my iPhone and the + is only $20 more it is totally worth it.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
THe final word (well, as final as can be until I am actually able to buy it) on AppleCare+ for those of us not able to purchase it at the time of the iPhone 4S pre-order: Apple will sell it to anyone who wants it but didn't get it. But only until November 14. Call 1-800-APL-CARE to purchase it when you get your new iPhone.

The FINAL final word will come when I call and they actually sell it to me and register my (wife's) new iPhone 4S.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...told you guys. Everyone freaking out thinking Apple is going to screw them over on a service that not only keeps customers happy but makes money for Apple...did you really think it was going to go down like that?

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
lol...told you guys. Everyone freaking out thinking Apple is going to screw them over on a service that not only keeps customers happy but makes money for Apple...did you really think it was going to go down like that?

I am not sure any of us were freaking out (well, maybe me a llittle) but the information from Apple that came before this was not encouraging. Some people were told, by Apple, to return the phone and re buy it from Apple so they could get the AppleCare+. Not good. I, myself, was told by one Apple rep that they only way to get it was to purchase it from Apple at the same time as the 4S. Yet another Apple rep said that I "should" be able to get it later, but not for certain. It isn's that there was no information from Apple, it's that there was confusing information from Apple.

Either way, I am feeling better about it. I don't like to hand my kids my iPhone to play game on for fear they may break it and even though I have a case on my iPhone 4, something like AppleCare+ for the 4S is a nice bit of security.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner