anybody worry about google nexus prime & ice cream sandwhich outshining the iphone4s?

D0minoid

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Too many phones coming out all the time. Too many different versions of software on all the Android phones. I'll stick with Apple who produces 1 phone a year and all the updates come out at the same time, not a separate update for the 3GS, then months later for the 4, and maybe an update for the 3G. I'm not a fan of the openness they allow with the APP market. My wife has an Android and every time she downloads an app she has to worry about some sort of Malware. I'll stick with Apple.

Why does she have to worry? I believe most Malware reported has been with apps from 3rd party app stores. If she is that worried they have apps for that. :)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
there is somewhat of a choice if you hack a phone with a manufacturer UI but in reality the UI is still running in the background and slows down the phone regardless. I believe that the average consumer that wants a phone to work out the box will not know the difference between a raw Google experience and an HTC EVO or any other Android device on its Manufacturer UI. All they see is brand EVO, Moto Droid, Galaxy. I wish when you bought an Android phone that when you start it up you have a choice between Manufacture UI or true Google OS. All these fast phones with all the amazing specs would simply run better and faster and I think then Android would have a real argument about being head to head competitor to Iphone but as it stands it is impossible as the android manufacture take that away by competing with each other on specs. If Google does finalize the deal with motorola and release Motorola phones as pure google phones I think only then will there be real competition between Apple Iphone and a true Google Android phone. I think these new phones are amazing both Android and Iphones but the best is yet to come. IMO, I believe that Google should buy RIM and Palm OS. I have been saying that for years. It would stabilize email security and make Android more business friendly. Apple has pretty much taken over schools and hospitals so Google better go after the business customer.

Well if you hack the phone you can remove the UI so essentially it would be a stock experience. I agree about the manufacturers always trying to one up each other for the best specs which is why it is hard for many to buy an android since a month or so later it is no longer the flagship and could get passed over or 2nd in line for updates.

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope Ice Cream Sandwich is excellent. I hope it introduces new features and new UI touches. I want it to raise the bar. Then I hope iOS does the same, and Windows Phone as well, and even RIM. I may or may not buy one of their products, but I hope each continues to raise the bar. Last thing I want to see is stagnation in products and OS development. We've had plenty of that in the past. In the end, it's better for us that the competition continues to make things difficult for each other.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I hope Ice Cream Sandwich is excellent. I hope it introduces new features and new UI touches. I want it to raise the bar. Then I hope iOS does the same, and Windows Phone as well, and even RIM. I may or may not buy one of their products, but I hope each continues to raise the bar. Last thing I want to see is stagnation in products and OS development. We've had plenty of that in the past. In the end, it's better for us that the competition continues to make things difficult for each other.

Agree innovation fuels competition. It is always a good thing when these companies continue to raise the bar rather than being stuck with the same thing year after year.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but no. This is completely different from Android fragmentation. You know that. I've heard this argument so many times and it's completely bull crap.

Yes, some features are exclusive to newer models, but iOS devices still receive the updates and compatibility... Most Android phones do not.

And if you want to talk about obsolescence, iOS has absolutely nothing on Android. Every 3 months a new Android phone comes out from HTC, Samsung, etc... and it has a new firmware version or fancy new hardware. Android users scramble to replace their 3 month old devices with the latest thing, because their device probably won't get the update for a month or two, or never.

My friend had a Milestone (Droid, but in Canada) and it was almost a year before he got the firmware update to 2.2... And when he did get it, it crippled his phone to hell making it way slower than before (and slower than the 3GS I had at the time).

Sorry, but you are not 100% correct, Apple did NOT fix a known bug in the iOS for earlier iPhones and that is a known fact. Regardless, as others have posted get the OS and Phone that fits your needs. I find it useless to bicker that iOS is better than Android on a PRO IPHONE FORUM. Seems rather one sided don't you think.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't ever see anything outshining the iPhone ever...they all keep trying and no one comes close in my opinion...

Just sold my iPhone4 to buy the iPhone4S and Ive been using the Droid Incredible for the last 3 hours and Im ready to toss this thing out the window! Oh it already needs the battery charged, shocking!!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can hack the phone but hacking will not always function the way Android is meant to run sometimes you loose certain abilities within the OS. I am certain if Google just stabalize the use of Android OS it will for certainly shine as a great OS. If you think about it any manufacture can out do Apple with specs but.the true genius is the IOS and Apple UI. Android OS and UI in its raw state I believe goes head to head with Apple UI and IOS. All these arguments about specs is secondary IMO as you can have the best specs in the world but if your UI sucks its worthless.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Well the companies don't develop the os like apple does since everything is in house with apple. Since android is open and these manufacturers pretty much just slap their skin on top of it and don't really do much other than that, that is why IOS shines with its smooth and fluidness.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I know this may start a furry but "open" is great, but how does it apply to the masses and general consumers.

Both android and ios are great. It depends on your needs.

Bottom line is I'm glad we have the freedom of choices/options. It's breeds developemet and pushes tech technology.

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the Android bandwagon last year, tried the Aria, returned it and then go the Atrix. After all of that I came back to iPhone for 3 simple reasons:
1. Ease of use - pretty much ready to use right of the box, put in email address and good to go. With the Android it would almost take me a week to get it close to what I wanted.
2. Battery life - moderate user, battery would die on Android within 8 hours, on iPhone could last couple of days on one charge.
3. Apps - although Android is getting much better in this department they, in my opinion, won't catch Apple anytime soon.
For those of you that like Droid, great happy for you but I'm not worried about them taking over the smartphone world, at least not my world.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the Android bandwagon last year, tried the Aria, returned it and then go the Atrix. After all of that I came back to iPhone for 3 simple reasons:
1. Ease of use - pretty much ready to use right of the box, put in email address and good to go. With the Android it would almost take me a week to get it close to what I wanted.
2. Battery life - moderate user, battery would die on Android within 8 hours, on iPhone could last couple of days on one charge.
3. Apps - although Android is getting much better in this department they, in my opinion, won't catch Apple anytime soon.
For those of you that like Droid, great happy for you but I'm not worried about them taking over the smartphone world, at least not my world.

I am about to do the same thing. I have had a bunch of androids and am due for an upgrade and the 4s is looking like what I will go with. At first I wanted a bit larger screen but at the rate android phone's screens are going up they are bordering on tablet size. That plus the pretty bad battery life is making me think twice about another android. lte speeds are nice but I am away at school 10 months of the year and don't have lte there so pretty much its a waste. Not to mention I don't download anything that the extra half second is needed.

iamcdavis

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have very mixed feelings about this. I have to say the specs from the Nexus Prime sound pretty impressive and should definitely be considered competition, but I also think that Apple's iPhone's are so well established that there's no way the Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich can get as much hype as the 4s.

ProMed

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I gambled that the confirmed Nexus Prime specs would be announced before my 14-day Verizon cancellation period was up.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have very mixed feelings about this. I have to say the specs from the Nexus Prime sound pretty impressive and should definitely be considered competition, but I also think that Apple's iPhone's are so well established that there's no way the Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich can get as much hype as the 4s.

You also have to take into account great specs don't always make for a great phone.

kfreemanii

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Its up in the air. IOS 5 is done from what we know and have seen. i am waiting to see how google can combat Siri! I know android has the specs but battery, camera, and bugs are always short comings to me.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. Apples formula is superior to the openness of Android. IMO It can be a good thing to be an open platform but some of these manufacture UI kill the experience.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

That depends on what one considers a good user experience. I happen to like Sense. I also like "vanilla" Android, but for different reasons (a completely clean slate to work with). As for iOS, I would probably like it, too, and for even different reasons.

I have rooted every Android I had. Not because I didn't like it as it was, but for the enjoyment and control. It is a hobby for me. If I ever get an iPhone for myself I will immediately begin reading up on jailbreaking. :D

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree. But people should understand the choices they are making. That's why these debates (not wars) about what works better on one platform or another should hopefully be informative rather than simply mud-slinging rants.

Here's an example. Let's say the Nexus Prime turns out to have a 4.6" high resolution display that matches the Retina display in the iPhone. That will be great for someone who needs a larger display because they prefer larger fonts and have large hands. But it won't be that great for someone who has smaller hands and prefers to use the phone in one hand. A larger display also requires more power, so battery life could be compromised. That might not matter for someone who's willing to carry a spare battery or always has access to a car charger.

Pros and cons to everything. Like you said, everyone is free to choose what package of features and compromises they prefer. Just be sure you understand what the pros & cons actually are.

A nephew asked my advice a few months ago about selecting his first smartphone. He had a long list of reasons why he wanted one of the 4G Android phones. I didn't bother to try and talk him into waiting for the 5th gen. iPhone, but did warn him that most reviews said that battery life stunk with the 4G phones. He said he understood that, but his friends assured him that he would be able to install power management apps and tweak it so that battery life was fine.

So he got the 4G Android phone and a couple of weeks later sheepishly emailed me saying that battery life sucked big time. But otherwise he loved the phone, so he'll have to adapt by either carrying a charger or a spare battery. He's in college and carries a pack all the time anyways, so it's no big deal for him. But that might not be the case for someone else.

Few of us here have hands-on experience with every single phone that comes along. But many of us do read lots of reviews. So note any critical comments about a phone or OS and then do some research about it. And preferably spend time actually using a phone. These are touchscreen devices and UI responsiveness is a huge deal that affects practically everything you want to accomplish on it. Any lag, stuttering or sluggishness will get annoying very quickly.

You made some valid points. No one device is going to be right for everyone. I can probably guess which 4G device he was referring to and yes, it was known to be a battery hog. Lol, I rooted mine and took care of that. I happen to enjoy the challenge of rooting and modding my phone. I know that many do not. I can also tell you that the newer 4G phones have much better battery life than those that came out just a year ago.

Also we are really talking Apples and Oranges (well, and Androids ;)). Apple and iOS are married. You can't have iOS on a non-Apple product. Android is all over the place. That may seem like a bad thing to some, but for people with a limited budget you can wait about 3 months and with an upgrade get a very nice Android device for little or nothing. That is how I got my NS4G, which I like very much.

You are right, people should understand what they are looking for. I would advise anyone making any phone purchase to make good use of the review period. It can be daunting with all the choices available, but I still think options are a good thing, and the more the better. What a boring world it would be if we were all just alike and limited to one option.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh