anybody worry about google nexus prime & ice cream sandwhich outshining the iphone4s?

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Nope, no worries. Whatever works for anyone else is fine. But I like Apple. Everything just works. And works together. I have an iPad 2 and Apple TV 2, and this will be my first iPhone (or smartphone of any kind). Oh - and an iPod Nano. Once I can finally dump my PC for an iMac, my little Apple ecosystem will be complete! :p

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think ICS will add some nice things to android but it is more what do you want? The other OS's are always going to get updates and if you do not like one of them than you can switch to another. I don't think it will be groundbreaking but it will improve android alot in a similar way that new ios updates improve IOS.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
The thing about Android vs iPhone and who outshines who is a silly comparison. They're two different phones for two different consumers. Most people who buy an Android phone don't typically even consider an iPhone and vice versa.

The people who will get impacted the most are people who are upgrading to their first smartphone. This is where the "hype-train" comes in. If there are signs posted up all over the Verizon store about the "Prime" then the people who are looking at their first smartphone will probably get pushed that way. Unless salespeople push them another way....

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a Droid before, and it was fine, but battery life was ludicrously bad. I was like...bored with it. I haven't been bored with the iPhone yet. And I didn't JB my iPhone, I did with my droid and my palms

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus Prime event scheduled for next Tuesday has been postponed. Samsung & Google are trying to spin the story that they are doing this to respect a mourning period for Steve Jobs. I heard a CNET reporter comment a few days ago that they were having a hard time drumming up interest for the event in San Diego. Since the actual phone will not be available until late-Oct./early-Nov., I think they want to pick a venue where more reporters can show up to hype the unveiling.

ICS is still Android. It has appeal for techies who love to tinker with settings and stuff. But the huge majority of smartphone users don't want to bother with that. They just want to be able to get things done with their smartphone.

People are underestimating the impact of Siri. It is not just voice recognition. Think about how much time you're going to save with these simple commands:
? ?Text Ryan I?m on my way?
? ?Remind me to make a dentist appointment when I get to work?
? ?On May 19 remind me it's Dad's birthday?
? ?Read new email?
? ?Send email to Joe?...followed by dictation.

For those who use Twitter & Facebook frequently, you can now dictate your comments instead of tapping them out on the glass keypad. Wolfram Alpha integration is going to be a godsend to students doing research for homework.

I suspect eventually Siri will be able to navigate to bookmarked websites on Safari ("daring fireball") and go directly to apps buried in some folder ("open doodle jump").

When full reviews of iPhone 4S come out, ICS better pack some serious upgrades to get people interested. Most of the hype I read on the Android forums about the Prime is focused on specs and the form factor. Very little about how the phone will make your life simpler and better.

Last edited:

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
One thing about Android is that after the new Nexus Prime is out, with in a few months there be a better Android phone out. Better processor, more memory better screen or something.

With Apple you get 16, 32 or 64 gig and black or white. Next April you get 16, 32 or 64 gig black or white Iphone 4gs. I like that about apple. You buy it and it is the latest and greatest phone (if you buy when it comes out) for about a year or so.

Just a thought!!

KC

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The thing with android is even if you dont get updated to the new os right away all the core apps still get updated as soon as it's available. Yeah the new os upgrade is nice but isn't something you need to have unless there is a glaring vulnerability which usually gets fixed quick if thats the case.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I think Apple has really done is master the user experience with iOS. I've tried Android. It was so choppy, and felt like it took a lot of drilling down to do the most basic tasks. I'll stick with iOS, especially now that the new notification system is coming out and task syncing with exchange is part of iOS 5.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a new great, amazing, awesome Android phone released every few weeks. The problem is, they rarely get updated. So as long as whatever comes out in 2 weeks is good enough to last you for the next howeverlonguntnilyoubuyanewphone, you're still better off with an iPhone - which will get any updates Apple puts out.

Gotta say it...

FRAGMENTATION

I gotta say it, FRAGMENTATION exists in the iOS world too, not all features or iOS versions are supported on all iPhones so you can't say its solely an Android issue. Second getting an Android Nexus device means you get the Android OS updates from Google and NOT the carrier so again you can't claim fragmentation on Nexus devices.

I will agree though that the rate the OEM's crank out Android based phones out paces Apple's forced upgrade path of obsolescence and by that method a great new Android phone does seem to launch every two weeks.

The upcoming Nexus Prime aka Droid Prime aka ICS 4.0 phone has a strong chance of being a hot device. The specs, design, 1280x720 Super AMOLED+ display, 32GB of storage (rumored) 1.2+1.5Ghz processor can and will take on the iP4S and in some cases show case what Apple didn't given the iOS community.

Now I can say all of that given the fact I have owned way too many Android phones in the last year looking for the "best" of the group only to be disappointed time and again. So I am back here again having pre-ordered my iP4S 64GB Black so I can have the awesome camera, tons of storage, and simplicity of syncing with my MBP.

I like all things tech so I see no issue in noting one platforms achievements vs another, how one platform pushes another to the next level and back again. That is what makes tech fun.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh