I had a Droid before, and it was fine, but battery life was ludicrously bad. I was like...bored with it. I haven't been bored with the iPhone yet. And I didn't JB my iPhone, I did with my droid and my palms
    10-07-2011 11:58 AM
    If iPhone gets outshined, I won't lose any money will I? I definitely won't lose any sleep over it
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-07-2011 12:17 PM
    The Nexus Prime event scheduled for next Tuesday has been postponed. Samsung & Google are trying to spin the story that they are doing this to respect a mourning period for Steve Jobs. I heard a CNET reporter comment a few days ago that they were having a hard time drumming up interest for the event in San Diego. Since the actual phone will not be available until late-Oct./early-Nov., I think they want to pick a venue where more reporters can show up to hype the unveiling.

ICS is still Android. It has appeal for techies who love to tinker with settings and stuff. But the huge majority of smartphone users don't want to bother with that. They just want to be able to get things done with their smartphone.

People are underestimating the impact of Siri. It is not just voice recognition. Think about how much time you're going to save with these simple commands:
    Text Ryan Im on my way
    Remind me to make a dentist appointment when I get to work
    On May 19 remind me it's Dad's birthday
    Read new email
    Send email to Joe...followed by dictation.

For those who use Twitter & Facebook frequently, you can now dictate your comments instead of tapping them out on the glass keypad. Wolfram Alpha integration is going to be a godsend to students doing research for homework.

I suspect eventually Siri will be able to navigate to bookmarked websites on Safari ("daring fireball") and go directly to apps buried in some folder ("open doodle jump").

When full reviews of iPhone 4S come out, ICS better pack some serious upgrades to get people interested. Most of the hype I read on the Android forums about the Prime is focused on specs and the form factor. Very little about how the phone will make your life simpler and better.
    Last edited by DrewBear; 10-07-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    cardfan, Jellotime91 and ame like this.
    10-07-2011 12:57 PM
    Because this time it will be on verizon lol.
    Oh.... so... A lot more expensive?.. Cool story, bro.
    10-07-2011 01:52 PM
    Oh.... so... A lot more expensive?.. Cool story, bro.
    Ha wait til the other carriers roll out their lte phones I am sure they will be similar priced. Cool story bro? You wanna be on the jersey shore mr. canadian??
    10-07-2011 01:56 PM
    Ha wait til the other carriers roll out their lte phones I am sure they will be similar priced. Cool story bro? You wanna be on the jersey shore mr. canadian??
    "Cool story, bro." is a meme.
    10-07-2011 01:59 PM
    "Cool story, bro." is a meme.
    It was a joke but then again you wouldn't know you are behind your computer monitor too much.
    10-07-2011 02:00 PM
    One thing about Android is that after the new Nexus Prime is out, with in a few months there be a better Android phone out. Better processor, more memory better screen or something.

With Apple you get 16, 32 or 64 gig and black or white. Next April you get 16, 32 or 64 gig black or white Iphone 4gs. I like that about apple. You buy it and it is the latest and greatest phone (if you buy when it comes out) for about a year or so.

Just a thought!!

KC
    10-07-2011 02:51 PM
    It was a joke but then again you wouldn't know you are behind your computer monitor too much.
    I wouldn't presume to know anything about your personal life, so please don't do that to me or others.
    10-07-2011 02:53 PM
    The thing with android is even if you dont get updated to the new os right away all the core apps still get updated as soon as it's available. Yeah the new os upgrade is nice but isn't something you need to have unless there is a glaring vulnerability which usually gets fixed quick if thats the case.
    10-07-2011 03:25 PM
    I wouldn't presume to know anything about your personal life, so please don't do that to me or others.
    uh oh must have struck a cord with you on that one.
    10-07-2011 03:26 PM
    The one thing I think Apple has really done is master the user experience with iOS. I've tried Android. It was so choppy, and felt like it took a lot of drilling down to do the most basic tasks. I'll stick with iOS, especially now that the new notification system is coming out and task syncing with exchange is part of iOS 5.
    10-07-2011 03:52 PM
    uh oh must have struck a cord with you on that one.
    It struck a cord with me that you would make any assumption about my personal life at all given that you know absolutely nothing about who I am. I just think that's rude and ignorant.
    10-07-2011 04:07 PM
    There is a new great, amazing, awesome Android phone released every few weeks. The problem is, they rarely get updated. So as long as whatever comes out in 2 weeks is good enough to last you for the next howeverlonguntnilyoubuyanewphone, you're still better off with an iPhone - which will get any updates Apple puts out.

Gotta say it...

FRAGMENTATION
    I gotta say it, FRAGMENTATION exists in the iOS world too, not all features or iOS versions are supported on all iPhones so you can't say its solely an Android issue. Second getting an Android Nexus device means you get the Android OS updates from Google and NOT the carrier so again you can't claim fragmentation on Nexus devices.

I will agree though that the rate the OEM's crank out Android based phones out paces Apple's forced upgrade path of obsolescence and by that method a great new Android phone does seem to launch every two weeks.

The upcoming Nexus Prime aka Droid Prime aka ICS 4.0 phone has a strong chance of being a hot device. The specs, design, 1280x720 Super AMOLED+ display, 32GB of storage (rumored) 1.2+1.5Ghz processor can and will take on the iP4S and in some cases show case what Apple didn't given the iOS community.

Now I can say all of that given the fact I have owned way too many Android phones in the last year looking for the "best" of the group only to be disappointed time and again. So I am back here again having pre-ordered my iP4S 64GB Black so I can have the awesome camera, tons of storage, and simplicity of syncing with my MBP.

I like all things tech so I see no issue in noting one platforms achievements vs another, how one platform pushes another to the next level and back again. That is what makes tech fun.
    Scout_313 likes this.
    10-08-2011 05:06 PM
    Man...trolling from Redraider? Who'd of thunk it?
    Jellotime91 likes this.
    10-08-2011 05:09 PM
    I switched from Iphone to Android a year ago, and have been regretting it ever since.
    It doesnt matter what sexy phone HTC or Nexus or Samsung bring out, bottomline: the android "experience" is nowhere near IOS.

btw, its so bad, i use a custom rom on my android to mimic IOS!
    MIUI?

Mistress of Mischief
    10-08-2011 07:23 PM
    Like the original? It's still on 2.what?
    And maybe we should mention to them how the updates stop coming! Apple is still updating the OS on old products, but on much younger phones like the Evo, Google has already said no more updates!

Mistress of Mischief
    10-08-2011 07:26 PM
    Neither phone, OS, or platform is better than the other. Both have there strengths and weaknesses. Use what is better for your needs and others will do the same. I just don't get why people feel the need to bicker back and forth arguing whether Android or iOS is better. There is no general correct answer, it will depend on each persons individual needs.
    CarrieMK and Raptor007 like this.
    10-08-2011 07:42 PM
    And maybe we should mention to them how the updates stop coming! Apple is still updating the OS on old products, but on much younger phones like the Evo, Google has already said no more updates!

Mistress of Mischief
    That's the manufacter and carrier. Google puts out the updated source code. It's up to the manufacturer of the device in question and the carrier to incorporate it for that phone.
    10-08-2011 07:46 PM
    Neither phone, OS, or platform is better than the other. Both have there strengths and weaknesses. Use what is better for your needs and others will do the same. I just don't get why people feel the need to bicker back and forth arguing whether Android or iOS is better. There is no general correct answer, it will depend on each persons individual needs.
    +1 - well said. Its like what kind of car/truck should I buy? It depends on your individual needs...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    CarrieMK likes this.
    10-08-2011 07:46 PM
    I gotta say it, FRAGMENTATION exists in the iOS world too, not all features or iOS versions are supported on all iPhones so you can't say its solely an Android issue. Second getting an Android Nexus device means you get the Android OS updates from Google and NOT the carrier so again you can't claim fragmentation on Nexus devices.

I will agree though that the rate the OEM's crank out Android based phones out paces Apple's forced upgrade path of obsolescence and by that method a great new Android phone does seem to launch every two weeks.
    Sorry but no. This is completely different from Android fragmentation. You know that. I've heard this argument so many times and it's completely bull crap.

Yes, some features are exclusive to newer models, but iOS devices still receive the updates and compatibility... Most Android phones do not.

And if you want to talk about obsolescence, iOS has absolutely nothing on Android. Every 3 months a new Android phone comes out from HTC, Samsung, etc... and it has a new firmware version or fancy new hardware. Android users scramble to replace their 3 month old devices with the latest thing, because their device probably won't get the update for a month or two, or never.

My friend had a Milestone (Droid, but in Canada) and it was almost a year before he got the firmware update to 2.2... And when he did get it, it crippled his phone to hell making it way slower than before (and slower than the 3GS I had at the time).
    10-08-2011 07:49 PM
    LOL! Raptor...are you kidding bud? That point is so obscure in comparison with fragmentation on android devices, I'm surprised anyone would even attempt to argue it, hahahahahahah!
    10-08-2011 08:14 PM
    Neither phone, OS, or platform is better than the other. Both have there strengths and weaknesses. Use what is better for your needs and others will do the same.
    I agree!

That's the manufacter and carrier. Google puts out the updated source code. It's up to the manufacturer of the device in question and the carrier to incorporate it for that phone.
    I agree again. But no one was specifically identifying Google as the sole source of Android fragmentation. The end-user doesn't care whose fault it is. They just know they can't upgrade their Android device to the latest OS version.

That said, fragmentation is not Android's main weakness. It's the overall user experience for the majority of consumers. Now the "strengths" of various form factors and geekability will mean that Android phones still sell well, but they'll do so at lower average prices compared to the iPhone. And those lower prices could also be considered a strength.

I just don't get why people feel the need to bicker back and forth arguing whether Android or iOS is better.
    Because it's fun? It's like debating why Ford trucks are better than Chevy. Or why the Celtics are a better franchise than the Lakers. Coke vs Pepsi. Yankees vs Red Sox. You get the idea.
    10-08-2011 08:23 PM
    I'm not worried about the Nexus Prime in the slightest, although I'm sure it will be a nice phone.
    10-08-2011 09:20 PM
    The upcoming Nexus Prime aka Droid Prime aka ICS 4.0 phone has a strong chance of being a hot device. The specs, design, 1280x720 Super AMOLED+ display, 32GB of storage (rumored) 1.2+1.5Ghz processor can and will take on the iP4S and in some cases show case what Apple didn't given the iOS community.
    Notice that people are excited about the Prime based mainly on hardware specs and physical form. I lurk in Android Central occasionally and read very little about possible upgrades in useability or functionality. The Prime has a bigger screen, but that won't work well for many people with average or small sized hands. (The higher resolution will bring it to parity with the iPhone.) Aside from a different skin, what do we know about what's different or better in ICS?

Contrast that to all the functional improvements in iOS 5. You could argue that half of those only bring it to parity with Android, but the point is that they're still practical improvements for millions of existing iOS 4 users.

When you jump to iPhone 4S with iOS 5, the list of functional improvements jumps considerably. Here are what I think are the most significant features, the ones that Android phones will be trying to catch up to in the following months...including the Prime.

Camera. It's not about the megapixels. It's the speed it takes to get to the first shot and the short delay between shots. It's also low light sensitivity of the sensor and video stabilization. This camera (hardware + software) will easily allow the average consumer to take the best photos and videos from any phone camera out there.

Siri. This goes way beyond voice recognition and Android Voice Actions (simple commands). Wait for the reviews to come in on this. I think Youtube reviews of how this actually works will blow people away.

iCloud. Photo Stream. iTunes Match. Reminders. AirPlay.
    Apple explains these better than I can: Apple - iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5.

And here's where I think Android phones may still have an advantage over the iPhone:

Navigation/Maps. We'll have to see if Siri does anything to change this, but for now the integrated text-to-speech directions are top notch.

Google services: Mail, Docs, Calendar, etc. I think Apple has matched this with all of their services, but if you are already fully invested in Google's services or use it for work, the Android version of all these are better than the iOS version. At least for now.
    10-08-2011 11:04 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD