View Poll Results: What warranty should I purchase?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squaretrade, $99 (30% coupon sometimes), $50 deductible, 2 years

7 22.58%
  • AppleCare+, $99, $50 deductible, 2 years

20 64.52%
  • Some other one

3 9.68%
  • Warranty shmarranty - who needs one.

1 3.23%
    So with the iPhone 4, I purchased a 2 year SquareTrade warranty that covered accidental damage, with a $50 deductible.

AppleCare+ now costs the same, covers the same damage, and also have a $50 deductible.

(Although you can use a coupon code to get the SquareTrade for $30 less)

Suggestions as the the best warranty coverage?

Chris
    10-06-2011 10:28 PM
    Can people speak more on Squaretrade? I've very interested in it since it covers spills!

For example, does Apple switch out your phones right on the spot or do they take a day or so to repair? I know some repairs can be made at the time of drop off...
    Last edited by JCaetanophoto; 10-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    10-17-2011 09:50 PM
    When I bought Applecare+ at the Sprint store they assured me there was no deductible. Did the lie?
    10-17-2011 10:06 PM
    Well, I got AppleCare+ and also still was able to transfer my SquareTrade that I had prior to the AC to the new phone before I decided I'd rather not have insurance, applecare+ AND Squaretrade. So I got the refnd from SquareTrade.
    10-17-2011 10:09 PM
    When I bought Applecare+ at the Sprint store they assured me there was no deductible. Did the lie?
    From what I can tell...Yep...depending on the issue I guess (replacement parts/phone)
    10-17-2011 10:09 PM

Yes, there is a deductible. You get 2 breakage incidents in two years and each has a $49 deductible. That means if you used it once for a break, it would cost you $148 to get it repaired. $99 for AppleCare+ and $49 deductible.

However, with AppleCare+ you also increase your phone support from 90 days to 2 years and your warrenty from 1 year to 2 years. This is important if you need to talk to Apple about any issues.

I purchased AppleCare+
    10-17-2011 10:11 PM
    As soon as AppleCare+ was announced I dropped my insurance through VZW. I want all my stuff go through Apple as much as posable.
    Last edited by Click; 10-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    10-17-2011 10:11 PM
    I've always had a great experience with SquareTrade and have warrantied all of my phones through them. They have quick turnaround times and the customer service is always friendly and available. I've never gotten a coupon with them though. Do they have one now?
    10-17-2011 10:16 PM
    I had the Worth Group insurance for my iPhone 4, it cost $89 for a year but there was unlimited repair and replacement on the phone. The deductible was $50. Now that they have announced Applecare+ I'm tempted to go that route. I'm torn because even though I never needed to replace my phone I like the idea of not having a limit on how many times I can have my phone replaced or repaired if needed. I know plenty of people who need more than 2 repairs/replacements in a 2 year period
    10-17-2011 11:38 PM
    Okay just read the policy for Applecare+. You needed to purchase at time of phone purchase and it doesn't cover lost or stolen phones. It only covers equipment that can be returned to Apple. I have to stick with my insurance. It covers accidental damage, spills, lost or stolen, and out of warranty defects...it pretty much covers anything that can be done to the phone.
    10-17-2011 11:49 PM
    I got the warranty that if something happens, I can get same day replacement. Apple Care+
    10-18-2011 12:44 AM
    If I were buying one of the warranty I would buy the apple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-18-2011 02:33 AM
    Part of it also depends on how close you are to an Apple store. I would have to get my phone (or other electronic) replaced by mail no matter who I go with, since I'm two hours and two states from the closest Apple store. I go with Square Trade.

Here's a link to automatically get you $5 back on a SquareTrade warranty if you decide to go that route.

Welcome to SquareTrade! - Referral Discounts | SquareTrade | SquareTrade Warranties
    10-18-2011 06:55 AM
    I go with neither and stick with the apple care that comes with it. It's only 199 an instance if you damage it.
    10-18-2011 07:33 AM
    Okay just read the policy for Applecare+. You needed to purchase at time of phone purchase and it doesn't cover lost or stolen phones. It only covers equipment that can be returned to Apple. I have to stick with my insurance. It covers accidental damage, spills, lost or stolen, and out of warranty defects...it pretty much covers anything that can be done to the phone.
    I have both Applecare+ AND insurance through ATT.
    10-18-2011 09:24 AM
    Here's a reply from SqaureTrade with some cool info:

Thank you for contacting SquareTrade.

Generally, for any approved claim on shippable items like the iPhone, we would ask you to sent it in to one of our repair depots, and of course we would cover shipping both ways.

However, you also have the option to locate your own repair, like at an Apple Store, and be reimbursed for the costs. This may be helpful if you don't want to wait for shipping the item back and forth. Remember to contact us for claim approval before paying for any repairs.

Although, Apple Care has now became more similar with our warranty, there are still several benefits you get with SquareTrade that you do not get with AppleCare.

First, you don't have to purchase our warranty right at the day of your iPhone purchase. You'll have 90 days after the purchase date to get our warrantythat includes coverage for any mechanical, electrical and accidental damages. You can also cancel a SquareTrade warranty at any time for a prorated refund, and you can track and manage your claims online.

Further more, there is no set number of claims you can file on your iPhone. Instead, your iPhone warranty has a maximum preset dollar value of $599.99 coverage. If you have an approved claim for repair, the cost of that repair is deducted from the coverage amount.

For example, your iPhone coverage starts at $599.99. If we pay $200 to repair the item on your first claim, your remaining coverage would be worth $399.99, and you'd have this amount to use for a future claim. Making it possible for you to file more than two accidental damage claims.

You are entitled to additional repairs on future claims if we determine there is enough value left in your warranty to cover the cost of additional repairs; otherwise, we would pay you up to $599.99 or the remaining value of the warranty to use toward a replacement item

You can reply to this email or call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268) US & Canada only, 24/7 if you have further inquiries.
    10-18-2011 10:41 AM
    I go with neither and stick with the apple care that comes with it. It's only 199 an instance if you damage it.
    Applecare+ is $150 for one instance and you get two years of phone support. Replace it twice and the savings is substantial.
    10-18-2011 10:43 AM
    I actually just bought the SquareTrade coverage for my 4S, but I bought one plan for two phones. It didn't ask me anything specific about the phones except the date of purchase (which is the same). Does anyone know if my plan won't work?
    10-18-2011 12:17 PM
    I am glad I saw this thread. This is my first iPhone. I never purchased insurance the VZW on my Blackberry's, but thought it might be a good idea for this phone. I signed up for the VZW insurance which is $10 a month, extends the warranty to 2 years but has a $200 deductible.

It sounds like Square Trade or Applecare+ might be much better deals. I live in eastern Washington and the nearest Apple store is about 3 hours away. Would one of these other warranties work better for me than the VZW warranty since a VZW store is the only place close to where I live?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    10-18-2011 01:07 PM
    Applecare+ is $150 for one instance and you get two years of phone support. Replace it twice and the savings is substantial.
    I've never paid to replace an iphone period though i've swapped out iphones maybe 6 or 7 times since i've owned them. How's this applecare + pay for itself?

I'd rather pay nothing now. And in the unlikely event that i cause damage to the phone, i'll take my chances in the apple store of getting it exchanged for free. In the worst case scenario, i end up paying 199.
    10-18-2011 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD