I hate att

JF7FSU

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I am currently with ATT with an iPhone 4 and the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I am jailbroken and will JB the 4S. ATT service is crappy in S Florida and when I travel it generally sucks. I would like to switch to Sprint because of their unlimited data plan and cheaper price tag.

So I call ATT and they want $175 ETF or I am eligible in a few months for a 4S upgrade. Well needless to say I want one launch day. To get one on ATT they want $399/16gb as of now from me. So it's cheaper to pay the ETF and resign with Sprint or ATT.

I was also thinking that if I could get them to waive the ETF fee by changing my service somehow. any ideas?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So you hate AT&T because they are holding you to your contract? lol...

btw...i was just in Miami about 3 weeks ago, and my AT&T service was perfect both on the beach and in the city, not sure why you're having so much trouble.

Reactions: gmz73

JF7FSU

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
It works well in Downtown Miami area, I live in Aventura the northeast corner of the county and work in Miami Lakes (northwest corner), both ATT dead spots.

What I hate is they won't allow a loyal customer to upgrade at launch, so they should release me. So yes, they are holding me, but I feel like a hostage.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So you hate AT&T because they are holding you to your contract? lol...

btw...i was just in Miami about 3 weeks ago, and my AT&T service was perfect both on the beach and in the city, not sure why you're having so much trouble.

LOL.

Pro athletes can renegotiate their contracts almost at will, why not AT&T customers?

I've been to Florida (Ft Lauderdale area and Tampa/St Pete) over the past several years and never had any issues with my AT&T service either.

I seriously doubt Sprint will help with AT&T's ETF. So the OP is looking at $175 ETF plus $199 for the phone - that's $374 to get it on Sprint. If his service is that horrible, it might be worth it. Lucky he's not got a family plan.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It works well in Downtown Miami area, I live in Aventura the northeast corner of the county and work in Miami Lakes (northwest corner), both ATT dead spots.

What I hate is they won't allow a loyal customer to upgrade at launch, so they should release me. So yes, they are holding me, but I feel like a hostage.

They won't let you upgrade because they expect you to hold up your end of the last contract you signed. Those $199 phones aren't really $199 and they don't grow on trees, even in south Florida.

ivan1.ruiz

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is not so bad I'm telling you. I pay less with AT&T than with sprint and my signal is better with AT&T. I guess it all depends on where you live and what plan you want

"Think Different"
~ Steve Jobs ~

JF7FSU

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
The way I see it is they have been charging me since launch date of the 4 and have made plenty of money off me even with the subsidy on the phone ($400). They allowed launch day 3GS buyers, to get the 4 at the full upgrade price, so why change policy now? They are trying to ding me now. I put up with their crap service because they were good in the past about upgrades.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it is they have been charging me since launch date of the 4 and have made plenty of money off me even with the subsidy on the phone ($400). They allowed launch day 3GS buyers, to get the 4 at the full upgrade price, so why change policy now? They are trying to ding me now. I put up with their crap service because they were good in the past about upgrades.

They are following the terms of the contract. Just because they gave you extra benefits in the past does not guarantee or even set expectations that they would do so at this point - or ever again. It's the same with Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile.

AT&T offers you a discounted equipment upgrade every 2 years (actually 21 months) on a 2 year contract. It's always been that way, at least according to the contract.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I recommend you get Sprint's unlimited data because, right when you switch you're eligable for an upgrade so you can get the iPhone 4S right on the release date. :)

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had more than my fair share of gripes with how AT&T handle upgrades and ETFs, as well as weak service at times that I needed it to be strong. But, having quite a few friends on Sprint, the calls drop a LOT more with them than they do with anyone else I speak to, whether they be on Verizon or AT&T or whatever. While their unlimited data plan is really appealing, I think their overall coverage and call quality is weaker. Guess it all depends on what you use your phone for the most. I mostly text with friends, but my job requires that I answer my phone frequently, so I couldn't have a service that was spotty.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Ask to speak to the sat manager and threaten to leave to sprint since it will cost less and you'll actually get service. They shouldn't just let you leave if they have any brains at all.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ask to speak to the sat manager and threaten to leave to sprint since it will cost less and you'll actually get service. They shouldn't just let you leave if they have any brains at all.

Why would he threaten to leave Sprint when he's with AT&T?

JF7FSU

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I have called ATT and requested a 3G microcell and was refused several times. They would, of course, be happy to sell me one. I called a few times today and they do not care if I leave.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry man, but i have no pity for you...you have a contract, if the service sucks that bad where you are, break contract, sign up with Sprint, and work out a payment plan with AT&T to pay back the ETF. Other than that, suck it up, deal with the service and figure out a way to sell what you have and buy the new iPhone for yourself.

JF7FSU

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Sorry man, but i have no pity for you...you have a contract, if the service sucks that bad where you are, break contract, sign up with Sprint, and work out a payment plan with AT&T to pay back the ETF. Other than that, suck it up, deal with the service and figure out a way to sell what you have and buy the new iPhone for yourself.

Wasn't asking for pity, was asking for ideas. Good idea about selling the equipment to recoup costs tho.

What is ridiculous is they will sell me the phone for $399, but it would be $25 cheaper to terminate ATT for $175 and rebuy at Srint for $199 w/contract (total $375). ATT is truly the evil empire.

Last edited:

javierE186

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
LOL.

Pro athletes can renegotiate their contracts almost at will, why not AT&T customers?

I've been to Florida (Ft Lauderdale area and Tampa/St Pete) over the past several years and never had any issues with my AT&T service either.

I seriously doubt Sprint will help with AT&T's ETF. So the OP is looking at $175 ETF plus $199 for the phone - that's $374 to get it on Sprint. If his service is that horrible, it might be worth it. Lucky he's not got a family plan.

lmao ahh good response, made my day (the pro athletes part) I agree with you, I would go for it if I were him I would do it if the service it that bad. Yes almost 400 is a lot to spend but it's worth it if you can actually use the phone lol

LocoStrange

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I hate it when the other party wont let me change a contract that I signed!!!

Just last week, I told my bank that I would like to change my car payments from 400 to 10 and they wouldnt budge. I hate BOA!!!!!! They are worthless!!!!!!!!!!

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't asking for pity, was asking for ideas. Good idea about selling the equipment to recoup costs tho.

What is ridiculous is they will sell me the phone for $399, but it would be $25 cheaper to terminate ATT for $175 and rebuy at Srint for $199 w/contract (total $375). ATT is truly the evil empire.

Do early termination fees have tax? If not I bet the other route cost more.
Isn't there an activation fee as well?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR