New to iPhone, unsure what size?

anislandmom

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand time. I'm long overdue for an upgrade with Verizon, right now I have the ORIGINAL Blackberry Storm and am itching to get rid of that stupid thing. I've been holding out to see what Apple released with the newest iPhone before I made the switch. Right now I'm looking at either the iPhone 4s or an Android.

First, win me over. Quite a few people in my family have Androids and I'm just not that wowed with them, I hate the OS and the need to figure out what button on the bottom will do what I want it to do. I'm leaning more toward the iPhone because I've heard it's just so easy to use and less glitchy then the Androids. I'm not a first time phone user and am often the one my family comes to when needed help, so I know I won't have a problem figuring out whichever I choose.

Second, my Storm has 8GB of space... I use a small 1GB. I don't put much music on my phone and because of a horrible call by RIM I don't have the available memory to put many Apps on it. Mostly I use the phone to take pictures of my kids, LOTS of pictures of my kids and small videos I can send to friends and family. So I'm leaning toward the 16GB iPhone but wonder if the 32GB would be better, but I'd hate to spend all that extra money for something I may never, ever reach. I still use my camera to take pictures and on my Storm, I go through and transfer pictures to my computer often and delete unwanted pictures regularly.

So what size do I get? Like I said, I'm not a hardcore music fanatic... my kids don't give me the option to listen to music often unless in the car (and then it's the radio). Will 16GB be enough for someone who will likely just use the phone for Apps and Pictures with occasional video? Coming from a Blackberry I'm used to getting my notification and emails FAST, will it be the same on iPhone?

Thanks so much, so sorry it's long-winded.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You should be fine with a 16GB based on what you said.

As far as winning you over...why not get the phone you prefer? My preferences may not mirror yours in any way, so what wins me over may be a polar opposite of what wins you over.

Play with the phones, figure out which one works best for you...

Reactions: anislandmom

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If all you're doing is photos and videos 16GB will probably be enough. However, IMO you can never have too much so get what you feel is right. Shooting video at 1080p will take up space pretty quick.

For your email it depends what email provider you use. Gmail and Hotmail can both be configured via Microsoft Exchange and push just as fast. Yahoo claims to do native push but it doesn't work that great. Everything else is IMAP/POP3; or no push.

Reactions: anislandmom

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
The largest change you'll find coming from Blackberry (and everyone notices this): No notification light.

If that's important to you, go Android. If not, iOS is a solid choice. I've had both, and I prefer the iPhone.

anislandmom

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, 16gb sounds about right for me so far. In re to video I usually take small videos big enough to be sent through an MMS and anything bigger I take with my camera, hoping for a Flip for Christmas. I use Yahoo so hopefully it will work. The more I read about the iPhone and Androids the more I pull toward the iPhone. I've played with both types at the Verizon store but they only have a "demo" version of the iPhone so most of the apps don't even pull up and are there for just show.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
16Gb sounds just right for you.
As long as your regularly checking your photos and organizing them you should be just fine.

bkmac

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm going with the 16GB because my iPod Classic is still working just fine, and I rather keep using that to listen to all my music and have as much space as possible on my 4S for Apps and everything else > music.

genesissiseneg

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
music lover

I have the exact same concern. I'm coming from blackberry and I have about 2100 songs on my 16GB memory card. Its pretty much full. Maybe its a no-brainer I need a 32GB. Price isn't hitting me at the right time though. Someone did say to use imatch (I hope that's right). Will that make a difference? Is it free? I have a feeling my first iphone is going to blow my mind. Hello siri... Lol.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the 16 gig i4, and I will be getting the 16GB 4s. I only have like 650 songs and dont store videos, 16 is plenty for me.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll be new to the iPhone (finally upgrading from a dumb phone - yay!!), but I had a 64GB first gen iPad and now have a 32GB second gen iPad. I went down on GB because I never came close to filling u the 64GB...and I've been kicking myself ever since. The longer I've had it, the more apps I've picked up, and now I have to manage my storage in a way I didn't with the 64GB.

I don't store much music, but I do have a lot apps, and always keep a few movies on my iPad. I probably will on my iPhone too - if nothing else, to keep my little boys amused when we're stuck somewhere! But the bit thing - I expect - will be photos and videos. I'm pretty much expecting my iPhone 4S to replace my point-and-shoot digital camera.

My advice is, go with the 32GB if you can afford it. Having too much memory is never a problem - having too little is a pain. And I'm sure the higher storage will increase the resale value too!

Last edited:

genesissiseneg

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay I've got to ask this question. If my music is taking up 15GB (on my blackberry) is that going to be a direct transfer. Its okay if you laugh. I'm laughing at myself for asking yet tomorrow I'm probably going to drop $299+tax. Better to laugh now than worry later. :eek:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Im coming from android for the same reason you said in your post i love it because on sprint it was the best choice, but i love my iPad more. I have a 32g iPad so 16g 4s is plenty for me with cloud everything on my mac should pretty much be available anyway, right?

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay I've got to ask this question. If my music is taking up 15GB (on my blackberry) is that going to be a direct transfer. Its okay if you laugh. I'm laughing at myself for asking yet tomorrow I'm probably going to drop $299+tax. Better to laugh now than worry later. :eek:

Direct transfer? Like directly from your Blackberry to an iPhone? No, not without going through iTunes first.

RhonnieNYC

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I too am wrestling with which size 4S to get. Thanks for starting this thread, from reading all the replies I think I'm going with the 32GB, better safe than sorry.

MannyGeee

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, 16gb sounds about right for me so far. In re to video I usually take small videos big enough to be sent through an MMS and anything bigger I take with my camera, hoping for a Flip for Christmas. I use Yahoo so hopefully it will work. The more I read about the iPhone and Androids the more I pull toward the iPhone. I've played with both types at the Verizon store but they only have a "demo" version of the iPhone so most of the apps don't even pull up and are there for just show.

To be honest, this is a pretty lisleading move. If you can get to one (I don't know where you live or if its feasible) go down to an Apple Store and go play with iPhones there. They typically have a myriad of apps loaded onto their floor models, so you can get a full flavor of what they do there.

And I came from an Original Storm as well and currently have a Curve 3G, but I CANNOT put my wife's iPhone4 down when I get ahold of it, it really is on a whole different level. She has a 16G and her usage and habits sound an AWFUL lot like what you have described. She has not had a problem yet and she is not nearly religous about cleanup of media like you seem to be. 16G might do it for you

Hoagie5252

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
16 should be fine for most in my opinion how much stuff do you really need to take with you. streaming media is your friend.

MannyGeee

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm going with the 16GB because my iPod Classic is still working just fine, and I rather keep using that to listen to all my music and have as much space as possible on my 4S for Apps and everything else > music.

THIS. I have an iPod Nano that i use for music, so my new 4S will be used as a SmartPhone with the exception possibly of using it for PodCasts so I can stay current on the fly.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Just remember that when the iPhone is set up a couple GBs are already used. At least that was the case on the iPhone 4. If I recall it was something like 14 GB I had to work with out of the box.

itistherabbit

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been curious about this also. Right now i have the original droid with a 16gb external memory card. I've been wanting to switch to an iphone but i'm curious about how much space a movie takes up. I don't want to run out of space if i start putting some of my dvds on my iPhone. Also, along those lines, can itunes convert your dvds to put on an iphone or do you have to use some other software?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77