Why Apple could make so much more money

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
For 2 years now. Apple needed a 4 to 4.5 inch screen but still stay with the 3.5 inch screen. We all know the Iphone is the best phone there is without a doubt, but the phone could be so much better. Iphone 4 or Iphon4S. Apple is awesome and what they do, but they are still behind the curve. When the 4's came out, dual processors were already out there and so were 4 to 4.5 screens. I don't know why Apple has not came to realize how much this probaly has hurt them in terms of sales and revenue. With a potential customer evaluating what phone to get. And 1 of his main concerns is a desire for a 4-4.5 inch screen, Apple is ruled out. They were dead on with Siri Advanced Voice Control is really the only good selling point on this phone other than the processor and ram. I think sales would be horrible without Siri. I can't see a reasonable explanation why they haven't stepped up to a bigger 3.5 inch screen yet. All manufacturers have big screens now and have been. I wish we could come up with a mass petition to Apple we can all sign electronically and send to all forums asking Apple to make a Iphone 4SL (L meaning large screen with everything inside the same but with a 4.5 inch screen and of course doing whatever they need to do to get it working and release the damn thing in January or something. No new software with 2 year old jailbreak apps in that software and get the public what they want. I be if a 1,000 people asked if they had the option of having a 3.5 vs 4 to 4.5 inch screen 90% would say the bigger. I guess I'm just venting but I think I did this last year when the Iphone 4 came out with only a 3.5 inch screen. Am I an idiot or am I speaking common sense.

Josh

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple won't have any problem making money with the iPhone 4S...it'll sell like wild fire just like every other iPhone in history has, and they'll do it all over again with the next iPhone. To be honest, one could say that this phone was a genius idea...they'll make so much money on another upgrade (IE: 3GS before the 4), and then when (if) they DO release this magical unicorn of an iPhone with a bigger screen and whatever they decide to cram into it, they'll bank at that time too...

As a business...Apple knows exactly what they are doing. I know it feels like you have some inside idea that you feel is better than what they are doing...a better way for them to make lots of money, but they aren't the most valuable company in the world for making bad business decisions. You realize that they probably have people, making far more than any of us will in our lifetimes, whose literal job is to sit around and think about what will make the most money for the company vs. continue its tradition of customer satisfaction...just THINKING about it, and passing that thought onto someone who makes it happen.

You really think, some how, you have this line of thought that nobody at Apple thought about yet? lol...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't want a bigger phone either. The current size is just right. Most of the Android phones are just too big. If I need bigger, I'll use my tablet. I don't want to make phone calls with a tablet.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I notice too, especially on this website, that the only people who actually make a FUSS about the bigger screen "issue" are the people who typically either prefer Android phones anyways, or people who are skeptics on the iPhone to begin with...most other people just say "Eh, i'd like to try a larger screen but its no big deal...". This leads me to believe that it's really only a true problem for those that probably wouldn't be 100% supportive of the iPhone even WITH the larger screen...

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't mean to insult you but I am pretty damn sure Apple knows how to make money better than you do. Unless you happen to own a company that is worth more than Apple, which I doubt.

nacy

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't want a bigger phone either. The current size is just right. Most of the Android phones are just too big. If I need bigger, I'll use my tablet. I don't want to make phone calls with a tablet.

That's pretty i want to say,no need bigger screen.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
For 2 years now. Apple needed a 4 to 4.5 inch screen but still stay with the 3.5 inch screen. We all know the Iphone is the best phone there is without a doubt, but the phone could be so much better. Iphone 4 or Iphon4S. Apple is awesome and what they do, but they are still behind the curve. When the 4's came out, dual processors were already out there and so were 4 to 4.5 screens. I don't know why Apple has not came to realize how much this probaly has hurt them in terms of sales and revenue. With a potential customer evaluating what phone to get. And 1 of his main concerns is a desire for a 4-4.5 inch screen, Apple is ruled out. They were dead on with Siri Advanced Voice Control is really the only good selling point on this phone other than the processor and ram. I think sales would be horrible without Siri. I can't see a reasonable explanation why they haven't stepped up to a bigger 3.5 inch screen yet. All manufacturers have big screens now and have been. I wish we could come up with a mass petition to Apple we can all sign electronically and send to all forums asking Apple to make a Iphone 4SL (L meaning large screen with everything inside the same but with a 4.5 inch screen and of course doing whatever they need to do to get it working and release the damn thing in January or something. No new software with 2 year old jailbreak apps in that software and get the public what they want. I be if a 1,000 people asked if they had the option of having a 3.5 vs 4 to 4.5 inch screen 90% would say the bigger. I guess I'm just venting but I think I did this last year when the Iphone 4 came out with only a 3.5 inch screen. Am I an idiot or am I speaking common sense.

Josh

You are certainly entitled to your opinion... but as a company, Apple is doing fine with the 3.5" screen. Who is to say that them going to a 4 or 4.5" screen would not drive away some customers?

Personally, I prefer the current screen size.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, if they gave the 4S a 4" screen or bigger, what would they use to sell the iPhone 5 next year?

I honestly believe they intentionally saved the bigger screen and a new case for the iPhone 5 next year, because what else can they add to a new iPhone next year BESIDES those two things to get people to buy it now?

The 4S has great internal hardware upgrades (Cameras, CPU, RAM, etc...) but what it lacks in the screen and the case is what the iPhone 5 will have to make THAT sell.

If they put it all into the 4S, they'd literally have nothing to push the iPhone 5 with.

I believe the iPhone 5's big features will be a bigger screen, a redesigned case and 4G compatibility - and that's about it. They'll port over everything from the 4S internally.

Last edited:

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I enjoy the screen size they have now. If they make the screen size bigger than the iPad would become kinda pointless. My personal belief is they have to give a need to use the iPad and if the iPhone is 4-5 or even 6 inches big then the iPad would have no place. It personally think the 4.5 inch screens are nice but I?d rather have something that fits comfortably in my pocket. Plus once you put a case on a phone with the screen size of 5 inches then your basically holding a slightly smaller iPad almost. Everybody has their own opinion and I?m sure the smart guys at Apple have weighed the options of a bigger screen but the iPad is there if you need a larger screen. I personally would not like to carry around a iPad like size phone in my pocket or hold it to talk on the phone. Just my opinion.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Like many have said, I hope they don't go with a larger screen. The size is just about right to fit in the pocket. If it's larger, I'd feel like I needed to go to a holster case or something like I used in the Treo days. Like Alli said, I don't want to make calls on a tablet.I've used my father-in-laws Evo and I like the device. But, when I put it in my pocket, it just felt out of place.I have some colleague that have the Evo and love it. But, they do complain about the size when it comes time to put it away. They love it while sitting in meetings or it's out on their desks. But, hate it in the pocket.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, if they gave the 4S a 4" screen or bigger, what would they use to sell the iPhone 5 next year?

I honestly believe they intentionally saved the bigger screen and a new case for the iPhone 5 next year, because what else can they add to a new iPhone next year BESIDES those two things to get people to buy it now?

The 4S has great internal hardware upgrades (Cameras, CPU, RAM, etc...) but what it lacks in the screen and the case is what the iPhone 5 will have to make THAT sell.

If they put it all into the 4S, they'd literally have nothing to push the iPhone 5 with.

I believe the iPhone 5's big features will be a bigger screen, a redesigned case and 4G compatibility - and that's about it. They'll port over everything from the 4S internally.

What sets Apple aside from other cell phone companies is their ability to selectively focus on the most critical parts at the right time. They probably knew a year ago that larger Retina-quality screens would not be available in large enough quantities for the iPhone 4S. So they gave the task of redesigning to the iPhone 5 team and focused on what would be possible this year.

Last year at the D8 conference Steve said that Apple had limited resources and had to carefully pick which technologies to back. He was talking about Flash at that point, but the philosophy holds true for all things. They knew that the upgrades they targeted (world phone, antenna, camera, OS and Siri) would require their full attention for more than a year. Another company might have tried to pack in a physical redesign and larger screen, but would've had to make certain compromises to get the product out. Apple doesn't like to do that.

The iPhone 5 will probably have a slightly larger screen and a new chassis. They're probably already testing a few different prototypes. A more power efficient LTE radio is hopefully being developed along side the new iPhone, as is the quad-core A6.

On the software side, I'm sure the iOS team is busy fleshing out iCloud and Siri integration. There are so many possibilities from those two broad technologies. They will be busy for years to come.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods