AT&T, Sprint or Verizon?

wateron

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Making my head spin trying to figure out which way to go. I see the unlocked iphone isn't coming out till November @ $649 & is GSM only.

Evan_Beezy

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Sprint for price

Well seeing how Sprint is going to be rolling out LTE next year so the iphone 5 can have a selling point i wouldnt shy away from them for that reason. For pricing Sprint has the best BY FAR. Unlimited minutes to any cell phone (YES ANY U.S. CELL), unlimited text and data included, 1500 min just for landlines and still with nights and weekends that start at 7. You cant go wrong with them...check you coverage though.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Sprint for 9 years now and they have treated me very well. I have noticed in the last few weeks that my 3G service has improved quite a bit. I have priced other providers and for the money and services offered imho you just can't beat Sprint. Also, now that they will have the iPhone maybe I can possibly get my son the device he really wants :D

Conan Kudo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Making my head spin trying to figure out which way to go. I see the unlocked iphone isn't coming out till November @ $649 & is GSM only.

Actually, I can probably guess that it isn't GSM-only. It'll probably also work on networks that offer CDMA microSIMs. After all, au by KDDI in Japan is a CDMA carrier that uses CDMA microSIMs and the iPhone 4S is compatible with that network. It is also launching on au by KDDI next week.

Currently, only MetroPCS and Verizon Wireless offer CDMA microSIMs. However, next month, U.S. Cellular and C Spire Wireless will launch their LTE networks. With that launch, they will be offering CDMA SIMs and CDMA microSIMs. Like Verizon and MetroPCS, they will brand them as 4G LTE SIM cards, but they will include the CSIM program. That means that CDMA2000 devices that support CDMA SIMs will be able to use them to connect to the network. This completely bypasses the MEID database and phone programming that most CDMA phones have to do.

Well seeing how Sprint is going to be rolling out LTE next year so the iphone 5 can have a selling point i wouldnt shy away from them for that reason. For pricing Sprint has the best BY FAR. Unlimited minutes to any cell phone (YES ANY U.S. CELL), unlimited text and data included, 1500 min just for landlines and still with nights and weekends that start at 7. You cant go wrong with them...check you coverage though.

Data on 3G for Sprint is not unlimited. There is a throttling cap. Also, AT&T also now offers unlimited to any U.S. cell phone too. Though T-Mobile offers unlimited to any U.S. phone number for cheaper than Sprint.

Last edited:

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I can probably guess that it isn't GSM-only. It'll probably also work on networks that offer CDMA microSIMs. After all, au by KDDI in Japan is a CDMA carrier that uses CDMA microSIMs and the iPhone 4S is compatible with that network. It is also launching on au by KDDI next week.

Currently, only MetroPCS and Verizon Wireless offer CDMA microSIMs. However, next month, U.S. Cellular and C Spire Wireless will launch their LTE networks. With that launch, they will be offering CDMA SIMs and CDMA microSIMs. Like Verizon and MetroPCS, they will brand them as 4G LTE SIM cards, but they will include the CSIM program. That means that CDMA2000 devices that support CDMA SIMs will be able to use them to connect to the network. This completely bypasses the MEID database and phone programming that most CDMA phones have to do.

Data on 3G for Sprint is not unlimited. There is a throttling cap. Also, AT&T also now offers unlimited to any U.S. cell phone too. Though T-Mobile offers unlimited to any U.S. phone number for cheaper than Sprint.

3G data on Sprint is unlimited. There is no throttling. I have never since I got my first smart phone 3 years ago been throttled, and believe me, we use lots of data, and most of it is while on 3G.

ilwhana

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I picked At&t because it has fastest 3G speed.
Furthermore, I got unlimited data plan which is really awsome!!

Last edited:

Conan Kudo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
3G data on Sprint is unlimited. There is no throttling. I have never since I got my first smart phone 3 years ago been throttled, and believe me, we use lots of data, and most of it is while on 3G.

As I recall, the throttling is done at the discretion of Sprint. So while the throttle cap does exist, they do not always enforce it. When I used Sprint last year, they did enforce it on me, which is why I left.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
SprintFreeMsg:

Usage for
10/1-10/31

Shared Min 5/1500
Indiv Min 0/1500
Txt 83/Unl
Data MB 675/Unl

Sprint. All.Together.Now.

I just texted to get my data usage and you can see that on my line alone I use quite a bit :D No throttling. Also, very few mobile plan minutes used because of unlimited mobile to mobile, regardless of carrier. The few minutes I have used are for land lines.

KCook3

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to look at how is your coverage? Verizon map shows coverage at my home but we don't get phone calls in our home. ATT and Sprint work well in our homes.

KC

Reactions: CarrieMK

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
SprintFreeMsg:

Usage for
10/1-10/31

Shared Min 5/1500
Indiv Min 0/1500
Txt 83/Unl
Data MB 675/Unl

Sprint. All.Together.Now.

I just texted to get my data usage and you can see that on my line alone I use quite a bit :D No throttling. Also, very few mobile plan minutes used because of unlimited mobile to mobile, regardless of carrier. The few minutes I have used are for land lines.

Keep in mind it's only for one week. Obviously usage varies depending on what I'm doing. I would easily go over a 2G limit though, that's for sure.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to look at how is your coverage? Verizon map shows coverage at my home but we don't get phone calls in our home. ATT and Sprint work well in our homes.

KC

Verizon and Sprint have their best service here too. What is important is what carrier and plans work for each person. If Sprint weren't so good here I would probably be with Verizon. My friends with AT& T constantly have dropped calls around here and I don't even know anyone with T-Mobile.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily true. If you know why rate plans cost as much as they do, you can actually figure out the true value of purchasing an unlocked phone to use with a carrier. The numbers may surprise you!

Individual plans on each carrier:

AT&T
Base plan: 900 minutes $59.99
Add texting: Unlimited text $20.00
Add data: 2GB $25.00
Total: $104.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Sprint
Base plan: 900 minutes + unlimited text + 5GB 3G data $89.99
Total: $89.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Verizon
Base plan: 900 minutes $59.99
Add texting: Unlimited text $20.00
Add data: 2GB $30.00
Total: $109.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Value plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $59.99
Total: $59.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Classic plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $79.99
Total: $79.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Monthly4G)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (5GB HSPA+ data) $70
Total: $70 (w/o taxes and fees)

Family plan (assuming two lines) on each carrier:

AT&T
Base plan: 700 minutes $69.99
Add texting: Unlimited text $30.00
Add data for two lines: 2GB $50.00
Total: $149.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Sprint
Base plan: 1500 minutes + unlimited text + 5GB 3G web $129.99
Total: $129.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Verizon
Base plan: 700 minutes $69.98
Add texting: Unlimited text $30.00
Add data for two lines: 2GB $60.00
Total: $159.98 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Value plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $99.99
Total: $99.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Classic plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $139.98
Total: $139.98 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Monthly4G)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (5GB HSPA+ data) $70
Multiply by two for two lines
Total: $140 (w/o taxes and fees)

Analysis of costs

For a 16GB iPhone 4S locked with a two year contract on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon it costs $199.99 upfront + the sales tax for the phone unsubsidized ($649.99). Plus, over the course of 24 months, you are paying roughly $480 to $600 for the phone itself. Assuming the minimum of $20/mo on subsidy, you would be paying roughly $680 + sales tax on item valued at $649.99.

For T-Mobile postpaid, the Classic plan includes the subsidy, the Value plan does not.

Obviously, T-Mobile Monthly4G does not include the subsidy either. On October 16, Wal-Mart will exclusively offer a $30/mo Monthly4G plan with unlimited web (5GB HSPA+ data), unlimited text, and 100 minutes of talk with 10 cents per additional minute. Additionally, T-Mobile will launch a $60/mo Monthly4G plan with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited web with 2GB HSPA+ data.

In any case, if you were considering Sprint, then note that over the course of two years, you'd have paid $2360 for the iPhone 4S 16GB and the monthly bill for an individual person and $3520 for a family plan with two iPhone 4S 16GB models.

With AT&T, you'd pay $2720 over the course of two years on an individual plan. On a family plan of two lines, you'd pay $4000 over two years.

With Verizon, you'd pay $2840 over two years on an individual plan. On a family plan of two lines, you'd pay $4240 over two years.

With T-Mobile, you'd pay $2090 over two years for an individual Value plan. With a family Value plan with two lines, you'd pay $3698 over two years.

If you chose to go with the T-Mobile Monthly4G $30/mo plan that will be offered in Wal-Mart stores, you'd pay $1370 over two years for one line, and $2740 over two years for two lines.

Note that these calculations are done with the plan configurations described at the beginning of this post.

However, there's another advantage with an unlocked iPhone 4S. You can resell it at a much higher value than a locked one. Sprint and Verizon iPhones depreciate in value extremely quickly, while AT&T and unlocked ones don't. And unlocked ones are valued much higher than AT&T versions. So if you wanted to get the next iPhone that comes after the 4S, you'd be able to more easily sell your iPhone 4S if it was a factory unlocked model in order to pay for the new one.

Unless Sprint changed their plan yesterday, there is no extra $10 fee for unlimited 3G data. What you may be thinking of is the $10 smartphone fee that was added to the plans of those who have smartphones. There is a 5G limit on their wireless cards and pads. The $10 smartphone fee has been included in the $79.99 and up plans. 3G data usage on your phone is unlimited.

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
i ordered the sprint phone since we still have unlimited data. one sprint using the epic 4G i am using at least 10GB/month streaming data.

I think people are confusing the wireless card limit with phone usage limit, which as of now there isn't one.

Last edited:

ivan1.ruiz

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I had sprint and the family plan I had was 1500 min and I did not need that much but they don't have a lower family plan. I switched to AT&T and have unlimited mobile to mobile any network in USA just like sprint does but I chose the 700 min so now I pay about $40 less than I did with sprint and I have 2 iPhones. Coverage and speeds are way faster for me on AT&T so I love it

CarrieMK

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I had sprint and the family plan I had was 1500 min and I did not need that much but they don't have a lower family plan. I switched to AT&T and have unlimited mobile to mobile any network in USA just like sprint does but I chose the 700 min so now I pay about $40 less than I did with sprint and I have 2 iPhones. Coverage and speeds are way faster for me on AT&T so I love it

Like I said, each person has to pick the best plan for them. We are on the same plan you were except we have 5 lines. I get a 25% discount through my employer so for us it is the best option. My son is so happy that Sprint finally has the iPhone :D

ivan1.ruiz

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I can definitely see how it would work for 5 lines. I had the same 25% off because I worked for a subcontractor for sprint in Oklahoma. We took care of the advanced tech support.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox