AT&T, Sprint or Verizon?

wateron

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Getting a new 4S for my wife (our first iphone) now. Want to wait till next year to get my iphone as I want the LTE version. Want them both on the same provider for the family plan. Which provider should I get my wife's phone on? Will all 3 providers have LTE service next year?

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Order of largest probable coverage.
Verizon
At&t
Sprint - if they even get it rolling.

Though the 4S will probably be the best on At&t due to the HSPA+.

BillBerry

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The VZW and Sprint iPhones may offer LTE next year, but only Apple/Carriers will know the true answer. Keep in mind when selecting your new carrier that only Sprint will be offering an unlimited data plan with the 4s, unless you are grandfathered in from a previous plan.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind when selecting your new carrier that only Sprint will be offering an unlimited data plan with the 4s, unless you are grandfathered in from a previous plan.

For now.

AT&T and Verizon both changed their policies, after saying (Verizon at least) they wouldn't initially. AT&T did it only after they saw the extent of network usage, Verizon had the plans in place prior to release (most likely from the Droid usage).

Though I have no idea if there are plans to do so, it would not surprise me to see Sprint go to a tiered data plan within a year.

The VZW and Sprint iPhones may offer LTE next year, but only Apple/Carriers will know the true answer.

AT&T is more likely to offer it before Sprint (they have a larger LTE infrastructure in place now, where Sprint focused on WiMAX instead at first), but my guess is that Apple will release an LTE iPhone when they feel that the world markets are ready and built up enough, not just the 3 big US carriers.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm torn on this. I live in the DC area right now, which has horrible AT&T coverage...constant dropped calls, etc. I'm grandfathered in on AT&T unlimited data, with my 3GS, and will definitely pre-order a 4S tomorrow. I've always liked Sprint, and since they both will offer me unlimited data and unlimited calling to any mobile on any network, that's a wash. So that leaves the calling coverage, which is hugely important to me. I'm also moving to Alaska in January and I hear bad reports from everyone up there on coverage. The coverage maps don't really help, as they all state they're wonderful there, but real world practice determines coverage.

What do you all think? Any big Sprint or AT&T fans out there? I'm really fed up with AT&T, but will keep them if it means I have more flexibility...and data while talking isn't that critical for me.

jd78

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've have Sprint for awhile now and never had any problems with it. I hardly live in a large city and we even have 4G here. Sprint is in the process of upgrading their network by combining their spectrum, something they refer to as "Network Vision". It was reported a month or two ago by some tech sites that go to go to the Sprint HQ i think. From what I read it will allow them to get better coverage and building penetration. It will also allow them to easily switch from WIMAX to LTE when that day comes.

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I have Sprint, and haven't really had any issues. We moved sort of out into the middle of nowhere (albeit in Texas) north of Dallas, and we get good 4G most of the way up to the house (I use wifi at home - it's convenient, and fast) and to supplement our signal at home, we have an AirRave, which they usually try to charge you for, but if you make a fuss over having to pay extra to get a better signal at home, they waive the monthly fee. We bought a new house, and no towers close by for a while, so it was hard for the signal to penetrate our house. The AirRave makes that a non-issue. I can't believe I would even suggest this, but wouldn't you want to wait until around your move time so that you would have the 30-day opt-out period to see what kind of signal you get up there?

elusivmd

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of switching to AT&T from Sprint but after I saw on AppleInsider the data speeds won't be close to 14.4Mbps I couldn't justify the $40+ increase in my monthly bill. Plus unlimited everything freak rocks.

wateron

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about how I will be using the phone for data & I will probably use it 80% of the time at home on wifi. In this case I suppose it doesn't really matter about the speed of the carrier's data on 3g or whatever, correct? Therefore shouldn't my primary concern be telephone reception in my area (San Jose, CA)

Conan Kudo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
One thing that you need to make sure you check into is the policies of the various carriers that the iPhone can run on:

Looking at AT&T:
* No unlimited data plan anymore, but their tiered plans are cheaper for most people
* Slightly less expensive than Verizon on talk and text plans
* UMTS/HSPA+ network means fastest network for iPhone with average speeds of 4-7Mbps
* No extra roaming conditions
* Required to pay extra to use tethering/mobile hotspot

Looking at Sprint:
* 5GB Data cap applies for 3G data, only unlimited on WiMAX
* After hitting 3G data cap, Sprint can throttle you to below GPRS speeds (roughly ~10-20Kbps)
* CDMA2000 1XEVDO Rev. A network means average network speeds of 250-400Kbps
* Stingy roaming limit: allowed to use up to 300MB on roaming and 800 minutes of talk time on roaming
* Strong penalty for exceeding caps on home or roaming networks: Sprint can terminate your contract and assess ETFs at their discretion.
* Required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot (5GB tethering/hotspot cap)

Looking at Verizon:
* Very expensive talk, text, and data plans
** Data plans are tiered, and are not cheaper than old unlimited plan
* CDMA2000 1XEVDO Rev. A network means average network speeds of 200-600Kbps
* Roaming limit: If excessive use of roaming is detected, penalties will be assessed in the form of additional minute and kilobyte charges
* Extremely reliable network
* Required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot

Looking at T-Mobile:
* Cheapest data plans, all unlimited but with throttle caps except for 200MB plan
** Throttling does not affect EDGE users
* Cheapest unlimited talk and text plans
* GSM+EDGE network means average network speeds of 200-600Kbps
** HSPA+ network averages 5-12Mbps, but iPhone can't use it
* iPhone not available subsidized
* iPhone can be used on prepaid network
** Prepaid network has access to T-Mobile roaming partners
* Not required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot on prepaid
* Required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot on postpaid

Simple Mobile:
* Runs off of T-Mobile network
* Simple plan options, hence the name
* No roaming with T-Mobile's partners, only use core T-Mobile network
* Not required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot

Wal-Mart Family Mobile:
* Cheap and small plan buckets
* Tethering not allowed, but it works anyway

Last edited:

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing that you need to make sure you check into is the policies of the various carriers that the iPhone can run on:

Looking at AT&T:
* No unlimited data plan anymore, but their tiered plans are cheaper for most people
* Slightly less expensive than Verizon on talk and text plans
* UMTS/HSPA+ network means fastest network for iPhone with average speeds of 4-7Mbps
* Required to pay extra to use tethering/mobile hotspot

Looking at Sprint:
* 5GB Data cap applies for 3G data, only unlimited on WiMAX
* After hitting 3G data cap, Sprint can throttle you to below GPRS speeds (roughly ~10-20Kbps)
* CDMA2000 1XEVDO Rev. A network means average network speeds of 250-400Kbps
* Stingy roaming limit: allowed to use up to 300MB on roaming and 800 minutes of talk time on roaming
* Strong penalty for exceeding caps on home or roaming networks: Sprint can terminate your contract and assess ETFs at their discretion.
* Required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot (5GB tethering/hotspot cap)

Looking at Verizon:
* Very expensive talk, text, and data plans
* CDMA2000 1XEVDO Rev. A network means average network speeds of 200-600Kbps
* Roaming limit: If excessive use of roaming is detected, penalties will be assessed in the form of additional minute and kilobyte charges
* Extremely reliable network
* Required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot

Looking at T-Mobile:
* Cheapest data plans, all unlimited but with throttle caps except for 200MB plan
* Cheapest unlimited talk and text plans
* GSM+EDGE network means average network speeds of 200-600Kbps
* iPhone not available subsidized
* iPhone can be used on prepaid network
* Not required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot on prepaid
* Required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot on postpaid

Simple Mobile:
* Simple plan options, hence the name
* Not required to pay extra for tethering/mobile hotspot

Wal-Mart Family Mobile:
* Cheap and small plan buckets
* Tethering not allowed, but it works anyway

It looks like the best plan will be Sprint as long as you don't go over you're gbs :)

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I added it a bit later to the list because my Internet connection snapped, but I'd like to mention that T-Mobile throttling policies don't apply to GSM+EDGE users.

But, then you would have to buy an unlocked verison of the iPhone which could cost up to 600 dollars :(

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There are ups and downs for all three networks and as far as LTE in general goes, Verizon is your best bet cause they'll have the best coverage before others. As far as the iPhone and LTE, AT&T is the better bet because of the antenna. Sprint has unlimited data packages which always play a role, but if you're a first time iPhone user, data usage shouldn't be a problem

Reactions: zackawee27

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
There are ups and downs for all three networks and as far as LTE in general goes, Verizon is your best bet cause they'll have the best coverage before others. As far as the iPhone and LTE, AT&T is the better bet because of the antenna. Sprint has unlimited data packages which always play a role, but if you're a first time iPhone user, data usage shouldn't be a problem

So heavy users: Sprint

Light users who want dependable service: Verizon

Users who want HSPA+ and Antennas : AT&T

Conan Kudo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
But, then you would have to buy an unlocked verison of the iPhone which could cost up to 600 dollars :(

Not necessarily true. If you know why rate plans cost as much as they do, you can actually figure out the true value of purchasing an unlocked phone to use with a carrier. The numbers may surprise you!

Individual plans on each carrier:

AT&T
Base plan: 900 minutes $59.99
Add texting: Unlimited text $20.00
Add data: 2GB $25.00
Total: $104.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Sprint
Base plan: 900 minutes + unlimited text + 5GB 3G data $89.99
Total: $89.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Verizon
Base plan: 900 minutes $59.99
Add texting: Unlimited text $20.00
Add data: 2GB $30.00
Total: $109.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Value plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $59.99
Total: $59.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Classic plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $79.99
Total: $79.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Monthly4G)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (5GB HSPA+ data) $70
Total: $70 (w/o taxes and fees)

Family plan (assuming two lines) on each carrier:

AT&T
Base plan: 700 minutes $69.99
Add texting: Unlimited text $30.00
Add data for two lines: 2GB $50.00
Total: $149.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Sprint
Base plan: 1500 minutes + unlimited text + 5GB 3G web $129.99
Total: $129.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

Verizon
Base plan: 700 minutes $69.98
Add texting: Unlimited text $30.00
Add data for two lines: 2GB $60.00
Total: $159.98 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Value plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $99.99
Total: $99.99 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Postpaid - Classic plan)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (2GB HSPA+ data) $139.98
Total: $139.98 (w/o taxes and fees)

T-Mobile (Monthly4G)
Base plan: Unlimited minutes + Unlimited text + Unlimited web (5GB HSPA+ data) $70
Multiply by two for two lines
Total: $140 (w/o taxes and fees)

Analysis of costs

For a 16GB iPhone 4S locked with a two year contract on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon it costs $199.99 upfront + the sales tax for the phone unsubsidized ($649.99). Plus, over the course of 24 months, you are paying roughly $480 to $600 for the phone itself. Assuming the minimum of $20/mo on subsidy, you would be paying roughly $680 + sales tax on item valued at $649.99.

For T-Mobile postpaid, the Classic plan includes the subsidy, the Value plan does not.

Obviously, T-Mobile Monthly4G does not include the subsidy either. On October 16, Wal-Mart will exclusively offer a $30/mo Monthly4G plan with unlimited web (5GB HSPA+ data), unlimited text, and 100 minutes of talk with 10 cents per additional minute. Additionally, T-Mobile will launch a $60/mo Monthly4G plan with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited web with 2GB HSPA+ data.

In any case, if you were considering Sprint, then note that over the course of two years, you'd have paid $2360 for the iPhone 4S 16GB and the monthly bill for an individual person and $3520 for a family plan with two iPhone 4S 16GB models.

With AT&T, you'd pay $2720 over the course of two years on an individual plan. On a family plan of two lines, you'd pay $4000 over two years.

With Verizon, you'd pay $2840 over two years on an individual plan. On a family plan of two lines, you'd pay $4240 over two years.

With T-Mobile, you'd pay $2090 over two years for an individual Value plan. With a family Value plan with two lines, you'd pay $3698 over two years.

If you chose to go with the T-Mobile Monthly4G $30/mo plan that will be offered in Wal-Mart stores, you'd pay $1370 over two years for one line, and $2740 over two years for two lines.

Note that these calculations are done with the plan configurations described at the beginning of this post.

However, there's another advantage with an unlocked iPhone 4S. You can resell it at a much higher value than a locked one. Sprint and Verizon iPhones depreciate in value extremely quickly, while AT&T and unlocked ones don't. And unlocked ones are valued much higher than AT&T versions. So if you wanted to get the next iPhone that comes after the 4S, you'd be able to more easily sell your iPhone 4S if it was a factory unlocked model in order to pay for the new one.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh