I'm assuming I didn't miss anything, but just in case the news is buried somewhere...

Anyone aware if Verizon (or Sprint) will be implementing SVDO (or something like it) with iPhone 4S to permit simultaneous voice and data over 3G? I'm assuming not and that we'll just have to wait for LTE - but if they've enabled it somehow, I might make the jump away from AT&T...
    10-05-2011 10:11 AM
    Nope, not possible unless you are on AT&T.
    10-05-2011 10:24 AM
    Nope, not possible unless you are on AT&T.
    One can talk & surf if using Wifi for data on a CDMA iPhone.
    10-05-2011 10:40 AM
    The OP did say over 3G, but both answers are correct.

You are unable (in the US) to talk and surf the web over 3G except on AT&T (and possibly T-Mobile, I'm not sure)

You can talk and surf over Wifi on any carrier (provided, of course, that your phone is capable of such a thing, but given that we're talking about iPhones here...)
    10-05-2011 10:48 AM
    Something to think about, considering the 4S redesigned antennae. I have a TBolt. Before LTE was active, it ran on the eHPRD network as opposed to EVDO-1x. That is still a 3G network, yet simultaneous voice and data was possible.

If you think of HSPA+ and eHPRD as stepping stones to LTE, who is to sat simultaneous voice and data won't be possible on the 4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-05-2011 10:59 AM
    SVDO didn't/isn't going to come into play on Verizon most likely because of their LTE deployment.

Besides, folks on Verizon who truly need/depend on an ability to use a cell phone and have data at the same time have had and used solutions to meet that need that did not rely on their cell phone, so AT&T's marketing department has been trying to make a big deal out of nothing as far as I'm concerned.
    10-05-2011 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD