Lack of larger screen the source of the majority of negative opinions...

Did the screen size give you a negative opinion of the new iPhone 4S?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So you'll start seeing this more over the next few days, but it appears that most people, when asked, were primarily upset about the new iPhone 4S because of one single fact...the phone didn't have a larger screen.

Is this true amongst the TiPb members as well? Vote in the poll and let's find out.

Would the iPhone 4S have been a more universally accepted product if they had simply added real estate to the screen?

To me, it mattered so insignificantly that when i saw the screen was the same, i was actually excitedly anxious to learn more about the new features of the phone...i could give a flip about a 4" screen (that most likely would decrease battery life and honestly, not make a huge difference on...well...ANYTHING related to viewing whatever you're looking at on the iPhone screen). We have this retina display that kicks the a$$ of anything else on the market for the time being.

Are so many people really losing sleep over .5" of screen space? Please tell me the silly notion that a bigger screen makes a better phone that so many Android fan boys seem to push onto the world, is not infecting those who love/d the iPhone over the years...I'd certainly hope that the same people defending the iPhone 4's retina display BEFORE the rumor of a bigger screen would still have the same basic logic they had then, since nothing has changed between now and then...AT ALL.

What say you?

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree.

#1 complaint - same screen size
#2 complaint - same glass case

.5" is a BIG deal in the Smartphone world...

As is the case in ALL situations, size DOES matter.

;)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Where are all of the LED fans? No weeping and gnashing of teeth on their part?

I guess the fact that the LED flashing option in the Accessibility section of the OS Settings didn't really mean squat, eh?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Where are all of the LED fans? No weeping and gnashing of teeth on their part?

I guess the fact that the LED flashing option in the Accessibility section of the OS Settings didn't really mean squat, eh?

I'm thinking...had the whole iPhone 5 w/ a 4" screen rumor not happened...the "bigger screen" complaints would have fallen into the "didn't really mean squat" category as well.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It isn't 2007 people like larger screened phones hence why manufacturers except apple are making larger screens and hd screens that match what apple can only do on a 3.5 inch screen.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It isn't 2007 people like larger screened phones hence why manufacturers except apple are making larger screens and hd screens that match what apple can only do on a 3.5 inch screen.

And this is the part where you vote with your wallet. If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else. Not really a hard thing to figure out or implement.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
And this is the part where you vote with your wallet. If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else. Not really a hard thing to figure out or implement.

Ha i planned on it thanks for you approval and allowing me to do that. /s
Not to mention they emphasized gaming but who really wants to play games other than angry birds on a 3.5 inch screen.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Nobody has made one that can match Apple yet...so the argument is moot until one has.

Bigger is Better huh? lol...Apple has been doing great with the exact opposite line of marketing/thinking, and i think people will be surprised that Apple will continue to do great with this new iPhone 4S.

People are falling victim to their own hype fall out...and its hilarious! :D

imex99

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Voted yes because i'm used to my 4.3 inch screen from my evo 4g and my evo 3d. I'm getting my wife an iphone 4s for sprint and was thinking about one for myself but not with a screen smaller than 4 inches. IMHO, 4.3 inch screen is perfect but would live with a 4 inch.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
This is not a big deal for me. I won a Droid X in a contest on Android Central, and wasn't really all that impressed with the larger phone size. I ended up selling the X and keeping my Incredible with the 3.7" screen, which I must say was a very cool Android phone.

I'm not in the market to change from my 4 at the moment. But if I was, I would be very happy knowing that my element vapor pro case would still work the 4S (presumably).

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Nobody has made one that can match Apple yet...so the argument is moot until one has.

Bigger is Better huh? lol...Apple has been doing great with the exact opposite line of marketing/thinking, and i think people will be surprised that Apple will continue to do great with this new iPhone 4S.

People are falling victim to their own hype fall out...and its hilarious! :D

Well see next week when the prime is announced with its hd screen if it matches the iPhone. Still doesn't change the fact its easier to have a retina display on a smaller screen.

Last edited:

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a Droid X with a 4.3" screen and thought I would miss it when I moved to the iPhone 4. I adjusted fairly quickly and with the retina display it more than makes up for the loss of screen real estate-for me IMO. In addition, the phone is much more pocketable now which I enjoy. As stated by the OP, the larger the screen the more that the battery life will suffer.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
To me lack of a bigger screen made all the difference. If the iPhone 4S had all the updates announced today plus a larger screen size, I would without a doubt be waiting to pre-order one on Friday. However with my current iPhone 4 I just don't feel the need to upgrade. I will instead wait till next year to upgrade my iPhone.

My wife who's using a iPhone 3GS, is upgrading, and she's really excited about it. I also think she would use Siri a great deal.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely not. I have been adamant that the screen size on the iPhone is big enough, and that the retina display resolution makes it feel a lot more substantial than other larger, lower-res screens.

I just wanted something different. Honestly, the iPhone 4 could seriously benefit from a more curvy figure. I won't want another 3GS, but this thing gets uncomfortable on long phone calls!

Also, with the advent of the notification center, even though I originally opposed the idea, I really think the notification LED is necessary.. I'm definitely going to be jailbreaking to get notification icons in the status bar. Without that, it has been bothering me a little having to check if I have notifications waiting or not.

After mulling it over, though.. I have come to realize that, aside from the redesign, this is the exact same device that the iPhone 5 would have been... Once you accept that, and if you were already happy with the iPhone 4 design, why is it meaningful at all to have a new design? Plenty of people who saw the alleged iPhone 5 design thought it was really ugly! Design is subjective.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
You silly people that wanted certain improvements! Just be happy with what daddy Apple gives you, whiners..

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I would have wanted a 4inch screen and LTE. So, although it's not enough of an upgrade for me, since I already have the IPhone 4, it's a nice device, and probably will still be the best device on the market, until the next IPhone arrives.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I would have wanted a 4inch screen and LTE. So, although it's not enough of an upgrade for me, since I already have the IPhone 4, it's a nice device, and probably will still be the best device on the market, until the next IPhone arrives.

For me I wished for LTE and an aluminum back. Its kinda stupid to cover up a pretty phone with a ugly, bulky case or cover because Apple decided to make the whole thing practically out of glass. Plus I can't use my dock without taking my case off which is stupid.

jd78

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Nexus S 4G through Sprint and did not realize the iPhone screen will be smaller. I assumed that it would be about the same size, but not as big as the larger screens seen on Evos.

Is it enough to keep me from switching... Sort of. I would really like to get an iPhone and the camera improvements alone make it a tempting buy for me. However, if say the iPhone 5 comes out next summer, am I going to regret not waiting it out?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox