Pre-order with delivery, or pre-order and stand in line?

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I just called Apple, and was told that anything ordered online has to be delivered, it can't be picked up. I asked about reserving, and she said I would have to go into the store to reserve one ahead of time. ??? She honestly didn't inspire much confidence in me, so I'm not sure if I can trust what she told me. And I don't see anything on the website about reserving/picking up. Thoughts?

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Pre-Order online. Although I have never actually ordered an iPhone pre-order it is definitely way easier to do online

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 4 launch offered either option through Apple. Not sure why that changed (or THAT it changed). Time will tell - as the 7th approaches, we will see more details emerge.

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
I just called Apple, and was told that anything ordered online has to be delivered, it can't be picked up. I asked about reserving, and she said I would have to go into the store to reserve one ahead of time. ??? She honestly didn't inspire much confidence in me, so I'm not sure if I can trust what she told me. And I don't see anything on the website about reserving/picking up. Thoughts?
If you ORDER it online of course its being delivered but last year you had an option of actually "reserving" one and setting up a pickup time. When They opened last year they split it into two line, walkins and reservations...guess what line got theirs first? I watched a bunch of people show up after opening and hop in the short reservation line and still get their phone before me and I was fifth in line of the people who waited all night. The only thing about reservations is I think you have to get them by the end of the day and then they go up for grabs. Im thinking this year with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, AND The apple sotre selling them, there should be no problem getting one. I waited all night for the iPhone 4 and it was a fun experience but next time I think I will reserve it.

jodime

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Preorder Time?

Does anyone know what time they'll start the online preorders? I'm traveling on Friday morning (figures!). I heard preorder for the iP4 started at 3am EST. Anyone know how fast the preorders sell out? I'd hate to get up at 3am if I can't really go back to sleep (early flight).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, can anyone answer this!?

I can't say for sure. Last year the issue wasn't that anyone sold out as much as the servers for AT&T and Apple were slammed and people could not get through the process without the connection timing out/dropping. (Remember, there was no VZW iPhone 4 on launch day in June).

My advice: try early and try often. Sales start at midnight PDT/3am EDT.

Reactions: jodime and GigaS27

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I just chatted with an Apple Online Store rep and she confirmed that in-store pick-up of pre-ordered iPhones will not be possible this time.

I have a feeling since Apple kept the main phone chassis the same, they will have plenty of phones available right away. I'm going to pre-order and wait for the delivery. Last time I had an Apple product delivered it came via FedEx. Anyone know what they use lately?

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I called ATT last night. They put my name on the preorder list and are going to call me Friday. The closest ATT store is in a town of 20K, so they will have a limited supply at first. I'll just get ATT to FEDEX it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I only stand in line if we can make reservations to gaurantee one. This year, I will preorder since I dont want to line up at 2am since no reservations were offered this year.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My first Apple preorder experience was for iPhone 4 last year. I sat at my computer from midnight Eastern Time but wasn't able to get a successful order in until between 5 to 7am. The Apple Store page actually crapped out on me so I successfully did it on AT&T's site. I expect this same zaniness Thursday night into Friday. I actually received my phone the day before its official release.

I'm too far from the "nearest" Apple Stores (one in Chelsea and one in Wayne, NJ) so it's just more convenient to have it delivered although standing in line sounded fun until my friend stood in line for 12 hours for iPad 2 and apparently it was not fun for her.

mobile79

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll be pre-ordering for delivery. I'd rather sit on my couch with my iPad and a big Mtn Dew and watch and wait for the FedEx/UPS guy to show up. (Wife hates that).

rindof21

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've read that some people have said that they received their phones early on different launches. Did you order thru the apple store or your carrier?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2