What does "you can roam GSM networks" mean on Apple's 4S page mean? Does the phone come unlocked even if your on a contract?
    10-04-2011 06:51 PM
    And does this mean that Verizon customers will be able to use voice and data simultaneously like AT&T customers can?
    10-04-2011 06:59 PM
    My question is: my AT&T contract is up in January - can i buy the phone at full price, use it on AT&T for a few months, and then switch to Verizon in January, without changing phones?
    10-04-2011 07:01 PM
    My question is: my AT&T contract is up in January - can i buy the phone at full price, use it on AT&T for a few months, and then switch to Verizon in January, without changing phones?
    Extremely doubtful as the phones will most certainly be carrier locked. You could jailbreak/unlock it yourself and then do it though in theory.

You can roam only if your carrier has a roaming agreement with a GSM carrier.
    10-04-2011 07:26 PM
    Apple's site suggests unlocked iPhone 4S will be available | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

This story and rumors are suggesting we are in fact going to get an unlocked iPhone 4S
    10-04-2011 07:42 PM
    Apple's site suggests unlocked iPhone 4S will be available | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

This story and rumors are suggesting we are in fact going to get an unlocked iPhone 4S
    Those unlocked phones come with an expensive, unsubsidized price. You can bet your bottom dollar that the wireless carriers won't be selling unlocked phones - certainly not at what the average consumer would consider a good price point.
    10-04-2011 07:51 PM
    I am sure it will cost a lot. But I dont mind paying. In fact, my factory unlocked iPhone 4 that I bought 2 weeks ago will be going back and I will be exchanging it for a 4S if they rumored cost for the 16GB will be the 649 that I paid. Easy swap. I despise ATT and I am happy with T-Mobile. I know it is expensive for some but for me it is worth it.
    10-04-2011 09:56 PM
    And does this mean that Verizon customers will be able to use voice and data simultaneously like AT&T customers can?
    Not while using Verizon's network. If you're out of the country using a GSM network, in all likelihood yes.
    10-04-2011 10:06 PM
    A brief chat with Apple support and I was told that these will be sold unlocked at a premium.
    10-05-2011 11:39 AM
    If it's an unlocked phone, you can take it anywhere in the world with GSM and stick in their SIM and you're good to go. CDMA? Don't know what to tell you. And no simultaneous voice and data on CDMA.
    10-05-2011 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD