iPhone newbie here seeking basic iPhone 4S/5 information

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I plan on buying my first ever smartphone in the very near future - mostly likely whatever new iPhone is announced tomorrow.

If they announce a iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 tomorrow, and it's clearly superior to the iPhone 4, I'm going to get one.

Here's what I don't know though.

1. How do I get one? Meaning, will they be sold directly through the carriers like AT&T and Verizon? Or do I have to buy it off an Apple website, and then get redirected to the carrier sites? (Not planning on walking into a store to buy one - was hoping to just do everything online and having it shipped to me)

2. I'm assuming these phones will be discounted if you get the locked ones via a carrier, along with 2-year calling/data plan contracts. Are we talking around $250? Or are we talking over $300 with a 2-year contract tacked on? I have no idea what the iPhone 4 debuted at, but I'm assuming that the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 will be in the same ballpark, with the contracts included.

3. Or are these things sold unlocked at full price and it's up to us to find a carrier?

(Sorry if this sounds newbish. The only cell phone I've ever owned has been a basic, 3-year old Nokia flip-phone via AT&T Go Phone plan. Obviously, getting an iPhone 4S/5 will be a HUGE upgrade for me.)

Thanks.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
There will be multiple ways to get ahold of the new iPhone when it drops. They might be hard to come by during the initial rush though. Verizon, AT&T and Sprint (?) will do pre-orders at some point before the launch. Not really sure how the Apple store launches work. I just know there will be long lines. I read that they started selling the iPhone 4 unlocked a few months back, so they probably will do the same for the next one as well. That will set you back almost $700-$800. The iPhone 4 sold for $199-$299 (depending on the storage) when a two year contract was signed with Verizon or AT&T. I would imagine that pricing won't change much, if at all for the new one.
Happy hunting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2