Is this the iPhone 4S?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If they don't have an i5 its because they know they can get away with a minor upgrade and people will still buy it not because they can't meet demand or anything like that. That is all marketing ploy.

Yeah and that was part of my point... That it will sell regardless of what they do.

Anyway just because it isn't visually changed doesn't mean it's a minor upgrade! That logic really baffles me. I've said it before but look at the 2010 MacBook Air vs the 2011 MacBook Air. Same body, totally different performance. It's a big upgrade, regardless of the appearance.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah and that was part of my point... That it will sell regardless of what they do.

Anyway just because it isn't visually changed doesn't mean it's a minor upgrade! That logic really baffles me. I've said it before but look at the 2010 MacBook Air vs the 2011 MacBook Air. Same body, totally different performance. It's a big upgrade, regardless of the appearance.

Yeah but iPhone 4 runs ios5 fine so many would see it as not really worth an upgrade.

Reactions: redbeard

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been saying all along that there was going to be no redesign and I admit I thought there'd be a 4s and a 5. Even if by some miracle, they do come out with a 5 some time shortly after the 4s, I'm sure the 5 won't be redesigned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple is throwing us a curve so to speak. There will be a 4S as shown in the iTunes site. I still believe that Apple is releasing 2 phones on Tuesday. To show the 4S and then pull the iTunes is absurd if they are only going with 1 new phone next week. With everything I have read, my gut feeling is that there will be an iPhone 5.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple is throwing us a curve so to speak. There will be a 4S as shown in the iTunes site. I still believe that Apple is releasing 2 phones on Tuesday. To show the 4S and then pull the iTunes is absurd if they are only going with 1 new phone next week. With everything I have read, my gut feeling is that there will be an iPhone 5.

Yep, you're probably right actually

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but iPhone 4 runs ios5 fine so many would see it as not really worth an upgrade.

It doesn't run voice assistant, and I imagine the new camera will also make people want to upgrade. My sister for example swore she wouldn't upgrade last year, but she ended up upgrading because of the camera.

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I think 2 phones could make sense, Apple does have 2 laptops, 3 levels of desktop, so I think that in order to compete with these cheapo Androids

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
16 months to release a new phone with just a new processor and a better camera?? I REALLY hope this isn't the only phone Apple releases...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't run voice assistant, and I imagine the new camera will also make people want to upgrade. My sister for example swore she wouldn't upgrade last year, but she ended up upgrading because of the camera.

Ok so it doesn't run 1 thing which most people would never use or not know it doesnt run it anyway.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i still think all the naysayers are wrong. i think there will be two separate phones, a 5 and a 4s. not only that i bet they introduce 4s first and everyone freaks out thinking it's the only one.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok so it doesn't run 1 thing which most people would never use or not know it doesnt run it anyway.

It's all in the presentation.. There is very little difference now between each new Android phone, but some people still upgrade based on these small differences.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's all in the presentation.. There is very little difference now between each new Android phone, but some people still upgrade based on these small differences.

Hd screens, different screen sizes, different manufacturers and processors. guess that is small differences. its the fact that those who buy an iPhone would be ok with an internal upgrade. Others want things like lte, larger screens etc.

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
16 months to release a new phone with just a new processor and a better camera?? I REALLY hope this isn't the only phone Apple releases...

Apple's got big boys and girls running it. If Apple makes a bad bet on the current competition, it's their butts on the line. There is nothing that keeps us from going with competition, especially if they offer a better product/experience.

What comes Tuesday, comes.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hd screens, different screen sizes, different manufacturers and processors. guess that is small differences. its the fact that those who buy an iPhone would be ok with an internal upgrade. Others want things like lte, larger screens etc.

LTE isn't an internal upgrade? rofl... Plus, the new iPhone will have HSPA+ 21mbps. That's more than enough for most people, who are already content (clearly, as iPhone sales have been very steady) with 7.2Mbps 3G.

I donno, I think that a (supposed) 200% overall OS speed increase is worth an upgrade. 3GS Was a world of difference from the 3G for me and many others.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The big question now is, will Apple become the next RIM? "Just good enough" doesn't cut it in this market.

Where do the lines start for the Nexus Prime?

A year from today Apple will be weeks away from reporting over $150 billion in revenue. RIM will be lucky to hold steady at $20 billion.

Any lines for the Prime will be short and short lived. It's expected to be announced Oct. 11th, right? Will it hit the shelves right away? The next iPhone is expected to hit the shelves sometime between Oct. 14-25. Do you seriously believe the lines for the Prime will come anywhere close to lines for the 5th gen iPhone?

Let's come back to this post in 3 weeks.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
LTE isn't an internal upgrade? rofl... Plus, the new iPhone will have HSPA+ 21mbps. That's more than enough for most people, who are already content (clearly, as iPhone sales have been very steady) with 7.2Mbps 3G.

I donno, I think that a (supposed) 200% overall OS speed increase is worth an upgrade. 3GS Was a world of difference from the 3G for me and many others.

So you ignore everything else i say just to talk about lte. Yes you will buy an iphone no matter how small or internal the upgrade is. Im just saying the competiton is getting better they can't just sit around with minor upgrades. Yes you can say ios5 this and that but you dont need a new iPhone to run it.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyway just because it isn't visually changed doesn't mean it's a minor upgrade! That logic really baffles me.

It's futile to try and convince people otherwise. There are plenty of people who still insist that iPad 2 is a minor upgrade. It must baffle them that Apple is selling ~$2.5 billion worth of iPads each month. And even without a minor upgrade, Apple is selling over $4 billion worth of "ancient" iPhone 4s each month.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It's futile to try and convince people otherwise. There are plenty of people who still insist that iPad 2 is a minor upgrade. It must baffle them that Apple is selling ~$2.5 billion worth of iPads each month. And even without a minor upgrade, Apple is selling over $4 billion worth of "ancient" iPhone 4s each month.

It all depends on what is important to you. For me after shelling out $650 on the iPad 1 when it came out it the upgrades on the 2 were not worth spending another $650 a year later.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
So you ignore everything else i say just to talk about lte. Yes you will buy an iphone no matter how small or internal the upgrade is. Im just saying the competiton is getting better they can't just sit around with minor upgrades. Yes you can say ios5 this and that but you dont need a new iPhone to run it.

The only other things you said were about screen sizes and stuff.. Those vary constantly, even among the high-end Android phones it is not a linear progression. Even with the advent of qHD phones, many Android users still say the SAMOLED 800x480 looks better for whatever reason. That's why I didn't address it.

It's not a minor upgrade at all. Internal does not mean minor. We'll see what happens.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of people who still insist that iPad 2 is a minor upgrade. It must baffle them that Apple is selling ~$2.5 billion worth of iPads each month.

It all depends on what is important to you. For me after shelling out $650 on the iPad 1 when it came out it the upgrades on the 2 were not worth spending another $650 a year later.

I also bought the iPad 1 and am waiting for iPad 3. That doesn't mean I consider the iPad 2 a minor upgrade. It means I live with a budget and the iPad 1 still works well for what I need.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73