Since they signed on to be a part of that euro green deal "one charger fits all" we have yet to see a change
    I personally don't think apple will replace the 30 pin with a micro USB because that would be stupid with every dock made for the 30 pin but maybe a new charger with both kinda like an adapter

So hopefully they redesigned it with the weak spots in mind

Moe
    09-30-2011 08:51 AM
    I'm with you......the cable will not last the two year contract of the phone. I have replaced mine twice.
    Premium1 likes this.
    09-30-2011 09:24 AM
    How are you guys pulling out the USB cable? Maybe try pulling it from the plug, not the cord. I've never had a problem with my cord, and i use it daily.
    dwfw likes this.
    09-30-2011 09:34 AM
    the act only requires the charger to be one type... Apple can (and prob will) simply issue the cable and a little adapter which will no doubtfully cost a fortune
    09-30-2011 09:45 AM
    I pull it from the plug. The wear and tear comes from coiling it up when I travel to put it in my laptop more organized.
    09-30-2011 09:45 AM
    I have two OEM and two Belkins. I actually prefer the Belkins, they are sturdier and a little cheaper too.
    09-30-2011 09:49 AM
    How are you guys pulling out the USB cable? Maybe try pulling it from the plug, not the cord. I've never had a problem with my cord, and i use it daily.
    Never pulled it from the cord, always the plug
    If you search google for this problem, you'll see many people with that issue. They can't all be wrong

Point is it's weak design, and Apple brags about reliability and quality of hardware and design.
    09-30-2011 10:40 AM
    Never pulled it from the cord, always the plug
    If you search google for this problem, you'll see many people with that issue. They can't all be wrong

Point is it's weak design, and Apple brags about reliability and quality of hardware and design.
    Your point is well taken. I never knew that so many people had this problem. My whole family(seven people), have iPhones, and have never experienced this problem. Maybe not all the cords were made by the same manufacturer? What's needed here is better quality control!
    09-30-2011 10:47 AM
    You know what I have always had this problem, but with the latest cord I had, it never happened (I have since lost this cord in a hotel room and I am now using a $10 ONN clone).
    09-30-2011 10:48 AM
    I've been using Apple's iPods, iPhones and iPads for years (all the way back to the first 5GB iPod) and never had that issue. I never pull any cord out by the cord - always by the plug. And when I wind up the cords for storage, I pay attention to where the ends end up - never cause a sharp bend at the connection point.

In the other hand, I have seen Sony laptop power supplies do the same thing where the cable joint the power brick on the laptop side of things.

I guess this is a YMMV issue.
    09-30-2011 11:13 AM
    I sincerely hope Apple has fixed this, too:

because I'm sorry, but when I walk into an Apple store to discuss this defect, and their only answer is: "they all do that."...... That's ridiculous.
    09-30-2011 11:17 AM
    I still use the cable from my iPhone 3G and it's still going strong although it does have that one flaw. I use to travel a lot so it seperating like that was contributed from coiling it up to travel. Still works though. I have an iPhone 4 now that I purchased back in July 2010 and didn't start using the accessories until 2 months ago. haha
    09-30-2011 11:17 AM
    The same thing happened with mine. Maybe they can coat it in something a little stronger so this doesnt happen?
    09-30-2011 11:49 AM
    Same thing happened to my wives, and she does not travel. I have traveled with mine for years and never had a problem. I am still using the USB Cable from my iPhone 3G as my primary cable. No issues here.
    09-30-2011 12:12 PM
    You know what I have always had this problem, but with the latest cord I had, it never happened (I have since lost this cord in a hotel room and I am now using a $10 ONN clone).
    On that note, you can get a lot of extra cables for your phone from hotels. I have been doing it years. Go to the desk and let them know you left your charger at home, most of the time they will hand you a box with tons of cables in them. People leave them in hotel rooms all the time.

I also do that with car rental places and car chargers. It is the first thing I ask when I get the rental. You would be surprised on the numbers of things left behind.
    09-30-2011 12:43 PM
    You can also get your cords replaced by Apple at a Genius Bar if your device is still under warranty, as it's considered part of the device.

Just another reason to buy Apple Care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-30-2011 02:49 PM
    09-30-2011 04:29 PM
    I don't see Apple doing anything to actually get rid of their stupid 30 pin proprietary connector. As suggested elsewhere they will likely make a micro-USB to Apple 30 Pin connector cable and give you the standard micro-usb. Sadly Apple will never go away from their proprietary connector since it is a way of CONTROLLING accessories.
    09-30-2011 04:39 PM
    I don't see Apple doing anything to actually get rid of their stupid 30 pin proprietary connector. As suggested elsewhere they will likely make a micro-USB to Apple 30 Pin connector cable and give you the standard micro-usb. Sadly Apple will never go away from their proprietary connector since it is a way of CONTROLLING accessories.
    Errr.. Also, the 30-pin connector allows a lot more functionality for accessories than micro-USB would. Just saying...
    grunt0300 likes this.
    09-30-2011 04:46 PM
    Errr.. Also, the 30-pin connector allows a lot more functionality for accessories than micro-USB would. Just saying...
    The interesting thing is that the other end of the 30-pin connector is a 4-pin USB-A connector. What would be the difference between doing what ever conversion is necessary to convert 4-pin signal to 30-pin signal on the other end of the cable?

What's the functional difference if you run the signal down a USB cable from a 4-pin USB-A cable to a 4-pin Micro-USB cable and then connect it to a 30-pin Apple connector? The signal still has to be converted somewhere - does it really matter where it's converted?

The only possible consideration would be cost - as the current conversion is done on the cable itself. Apple could be compliant by providing a USB-A > MicroUSB cable, and adding a separate connector/dongle to do the conversion at the iDevice.
    09-30-2011 04:53 PM
    The dock uses more pins than the charging cable

-t
    10-01-2011 12:43 AM
    I'm totally with you as well! That happens to mine all the time. Both sides

10-01-2011 01:45 AM
    I've probably had 12-15 cables since owning iPhones because mine always break. I actually use an old iPod cable now that's a little thicker than the ones they've used for the last few years. I've always pulled mine from the plug, not the wire, and been careful with them. I think they're just poorly made honestly.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-01-2011 04:16 AM
    You can also get your cords replaced by Apple at a Genius Bar if your device is still under warranty, as it's considered part of the device.

Just another reason to buy Apple Care.

They've never replaced mine. I've taken 5 in, and talked to different people. They all just tried to sell me another one.
    10-01-2011 04:21 AM
    The interesting thing is that the other end of the 30-pin connector is a 4-pin USB-A connector. What would be the difference between doing what ever conversion is necessary to convert 4-pin signal to 30-pin signal on the other end of the cable?

What's the functional difference if you run the signal down a USB cable from a 4-pin USB-A cable to a 4-pin Micro-USB cable and then connect it to a 30-pin Apple connector? The signal still has to be converted somewhere - does it really matter where it's converted?

The only possible consideration would be cost - as the current conversion is done on the cable itself. Apple could be compliant by providing a USB-A > MicroUSB cable, and adding a separate connector/dongle to do the conversion at the iDevice.
    I am talking about accessories that connect directly via 30-pin connectors, not USB->30 pin.

@msm
    You need to make an appointment and actually ask for the replacement as per your warranty. If you just walk in there and show them a busted cord, they can't suggest that you get a replacement under warranty because you may not be eligible. I've had my headphones and power cords replaced many times.
    10-01-2011 05:38 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD