iPhone 5 to support HSPA+?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Japanese blog Macotakara reports (via MacPost) that a China Unicom executive apparently confirmed during a presentation at this week's Macworld Asia that the "iPhone 5" set to be announced next week will indeed support HSPA+ "4G" technology, offering a maximum theoretical data speed of 21 Mbps (up from 7.2Mbps). A slide showing the information was photographed by Japanese site PC Watch.
Japanese IT news site "PC Watch" tells that, Research vice president of China Unicom, Huan Wenliang, told iPhone 5 will support W-CDMA based high-speed data transfer standard HSPA Evolution "HSPA+" (21Mbps) at keynote speech in Macworld Asia 2011.

'iPhone 5' to Support 21 Mbps HSPA+ '4G' Technology - Mac Rumors

Might explain why Verizon is cozying up to Samsung!

Edharv1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Japanese blog Macotakara reports (via MacPost) that a China Unicom executive apparently confirmed during a presentation at this week's Macworld Asia that the "iPhone 5" set to be announced next week will indeed support HSPA+ "4G" technology, offering a maximum theoretical data speed of 21 Mbps (up from 7.2Mbps). A slide showing the information was photographed by Japanese site PC Watch.
Japanese IT news site "PC Watch" tells that, Research vice president of China Unicom, Huan Wenliang, told iPhone 5 will support W-CDMA based high-speed data transfer standard HSPA Evolution "HSPA+" (21Mbps) at keynote speech in Macworld Asia 2011.

'iPhone 5' to Support 21 Mbps HSPA+ '4G' Technology - Mac Rumors

Might explain why Verizon is cozying up to Samsung!

Good Find! I have a feeling they will surprise people with this on Tuesday!

Edharv1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
So if AT&T gets the HSPA+ tech...What will the verizon phone have? Do they support HSPA+ too?

Last edited:

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I wonder the same, especially since Verizon's LTE has been in the market longer, and is supposed to be more extensively launched before AT&T. Maybe this is why it's taking longer, since they have to produce LTE phones for two different carriers, which was not the case with the 3GS? Just a thought, obviously not a fact :)

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I guess I meant in terms of faster speeds. My bad. I'm definitely not proficient in tech language. :)

They wouldn't do faster speeds for one carrier and not the other though, right? That sounds a little strange to me, but I'm not really a strategic business person either. Sigh.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
well at&t's 3g is faster than verizons so the at&t iphone was faster than the verizon version. Will be interesting to see if apple goes just the 3g route for the verizon iphone while the gsm models are getting hspa+ support.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I ACCUSE ANYONE who maintains that CDMA iPhones DON'T suck after knowing the internet on GSM iPhones will be HSPA+ and Verizon will still be on the slower than AT&T already 3G that it's on now of IRRATIONAL fanboydom

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
well at&t's 3g is faster than verizons so the at&t iphone was faster than the verizon version. Will be interesting to see if apple goes just the 3g route for the verizon iphone while the gsm models are getting hspa+ support.

What if there is no upgrade to the iPhone 4 on Verizon. Conspiracy time: what if Apple and Verizon had another falling out...

Reactions: DannyMichel

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
What if there is no upgrade to the iPhone 4 on Verizon. Conspiracy time: what if Apple and Verizon had another falling out...

my thoughts EXACTLY.
Verizon KNOWS they won't be making any money on the iPhone, which is why they backed Samsung. They know the Galaxy S2 is the best competitor

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

So, are you suggesting that the GSM iPhone(next) will be on AT&T and that the CDMA version of the iPhone(next) will be on Sprint only? Interesting. Doubtful, but interesting.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
So, are you suggesting that the GSM iPhone(next) will be on AT&T and that the CDMA version of the iPhone(next) will be on Sprint only? Interesting. Doubtful, but interesting.

No, that's not what he's suggesting, from what i understand, he's suggesting why i did

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Verizon is interested in protecting its bottom line. Who can blame them with Vodafone as an inpatient parent. LTE is Verizon's bread and butter. Companies that make use of that network will get rewarded by Verizon marketing.

Apple on Verizon has been very quiet. No word on vacation black outs. I find that very odd when AT&T and Sprint have been very public about preparations for iPhone launching.

Verizon customers have gotten used to the idea of no simultaneous voice and data on the iPhone. They (including me) have gotten used to the slower 3G speeds. Sacrificing speed for consistent and reliable connectivity is a no brainer. I supposedly live in an HSPA+ area. I have full confidence that network connectivity wont be sufficient for the iPhone mail client to stop its spinning wheel despite being in a HSPA+ area.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is interested in protecting its bottom line. Who can blame them with Vodafone as an inpatient parent. LTE is Verizon's bread and butter. Companies that make use of that network will get rewarded by Verizon marketing.

Apple on Verizon has been very quiet. No word on vacation black outs. I find that very odd when AT&T and Sprint have been very public about preparations for iPhone launching.

Verizon customers have gotten used to the idea of no simultaneous voice and data on the iPhone. They (including me) have gotten used to the slower 3G speeds. Sacrificing speed for consistent and reliable connectivity is a no brainer. I supposedly live in an HSPA+ area. I have full confidence that network connectivity wont be sufficient for the iPhone mail client to stop its spinning wheel despite being in a HSPA+ area.

Or maybe Verizon ia getting an LTE iPhone after all? Would make sense since we havent heard much yet you heard more for the other carriers. Most likely wont be lte but would be interesting if it did.

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe Verizon ia getting an LTE iPhone after all? Would make sense since we havent heard much yet you heard more for the other carriers. Most likely wont be lte but would be interesting if it did.

Wow. LTE plus a programmable LED for notifications. :D

All I can say is "winner, winner, chicken dinner!".

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
that would be amazing, but its extremely doubtful

Just as doubtful as your twaddle about Apple & Verizon parting ways.

At the time of the iPhone4 launch on Verizon, it was said that they were not prepared to make the form-factor & battery life concessions to put LTE in the Verizon iPhone at that time. There will be an LTE/Verizon iPhone - I'm guessing it will be available when all those who jumped on and got the iPhone4 at launch on Verizon contracts are up, and they'll have something to upgrade to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW