STILL Think the iPhone 5 Won't Be Redesigned?

Still think it won't be redesigned?

• No, it won't be redesigned.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Yes, it will be redesigned.

Votes: 41 54.7%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

Edharv1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It's obvious Apple knows what the competition is doing. But they rarely react by building feature for feature. They will not insert a 4G chip until 2012 and probably won't ever use a 3D camera. They may increase the screen size, but not to the 4.3-4.7" extreme of recent Android phones.

Apple also does not hire research analysts to identify trends. They set the trends. Apple doesn't ask people what they want. Steve Jobs once said, ?A lot of times, people don?t know what they want until you show it to them.?

This 5th gen iPhone may or may not have a striking physical redesign. Whatever it does have in terms of hardware & software improvements, people will know they want it once they see it.

I'm just simply saying that competition is getting stronger. People have more options for an iPhone-like phone that may have certain features that apples device may not have. If they release a device with the same hardware and some minor upgraded internals, I think a lot of people will be disappointed. Yes Apple sets the standard for the industry, but dont think for one second that they don't pay attention to what people want, there was a huge demand for video chat for the iphone 4 and they gave us FaceTime. Thats just one example of many.

And why wouldn't a multi-billion dollar global company like apple hire people to analyze what's going on in their own industry.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What if we're asking the wrong question?

I could see the answer to the question being YES, the iPhone 5 will be redesigned.

But what if this release is NOT the iPhone 5? What if it's the iPhone 4GS which is NOT a redesign - what if that's the Oct 4 announcement and the iPhone 5 comes later, say in the spring, about the anniversary date of the VZW iPhone?

If Apple releases 1 device, whether it is redesigned or not, it WILL be the iPhone 5. It is the 5th gen iPhone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If Apple releases 1 device, whether it is redesigned or not, it WILL be the iPhone 5. It is the 5th gen iPhone.

Nobody said it isnt the 5th gen they could call it whatever they want tho and could say its the 4s and the i5 will come out later. Just because its the 5th gen doesnt mean it has to be called the i5.:rolleyes:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Nobody said it isnt the 5th gen they could call it whatever they want tho and could say its the 4s and the i5 will come out later. Just because its the 5th gen doesnt mean it has to be called the i5.:rolleyes:

OK, we'll see on Tuesday if Apple releases one phone and calls it the 4S. We'll just wait and see. I feel very strongly that Apple is not willing to take that stock plunge after a 16 month period without a new release.

tewest86

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
It will be redesigned. That whole case-mate thing? It's to keep the public interested and it's a wink and a nod to a redesign. I'm wondering how big ppl here want the screen to be- I don't think they're really gonna increase the size, 3.7" maybe.

Why do ppl thing a 3.7 inch screen would be any better. You wouldn't even notice that .2 inch increase. That would be a waste of time. I hope it's 4.3 inches. That's seems like the best size.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Why do ppl thing a 3.7 inch screen would be any better. You wouldn't even notice that .2 inch increase. That would be a waste of time. I hope it's 4.3 inches. That's seems like the best size.

Jmo, but the best size screen to me is the iphone 4 one. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Make the screen bigger, you lose quality. I'd rather have the ppi.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Sales are not dependent on the name, they're dependent on whether the upgrades are "marginal" or not. The survey did not define "marginal". Some people to this day still insist the iPad 2 was a marginal upgrade.

Apple seems to often get flack for the names of their products. It hasn't mattered in the past and it won't matter next month.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Jmo, but the best size screen to me is the iphone 4 one. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Make the screen bigger, you lose quality. I'd rather have the ppi.

Well, to be fair, 99% of people would not notice a difference in ppi by looking at a 4" screen with 960x640 resolution vs the 3.5". The ppi will still be very high, pixels still nearly indistinguishable from 12" distance. And it will still look a hell of a lot better than those 4.3" 800x480 displays. Haha

Skier1960

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope all these case manufacturer's are right, if Apple takes 16 months to come out with an iPhone 4 with a different chip that would be pathetic, and I doubt they would sell like some people think they will. Most of my family and friends have already switched to Android or Window's phones, every single one told me screen size is why.

By this time next year or 16 months from now when the iPhone 6 should be coming out, this "4s" would be as outdated as a 3G is now. Apple cannot be that dumb.

Agree with you there. In my opinion it would be very stupid for Apple to have there heads in the sand on the marketing side of things(They don't). Of course they have a marketing dept, people should not believe they don't know, or care what other companies are doing. They also care and know what the average consumer wants. I have to say yes to the poll that JELLO put out. :):)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if you would lose quality. Have you seen the Samsung display? A bigger screen is desperately needed...just saying.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Well he's talking about pixel density when he says quality. Not over-saturated colours, like what Samsung considers 'quality'.

Ok understood. However, I still do not think a larger screen translates into lower quality. Regardless, of how saturated Samsung displays are, you cannot deny that they pretty much perfected smartphone display technology.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok understood. However, I still do not think a larger screen translates into lower quality. Regardless, of how saturated Samsung displays are, you cannot deny that they pretty much perfected smartphone display technology.

Dude, call me when Samsung shows colours the way they are actually intended. And "you can not deny"? Obviously I can, because I have been disputing them! >_>

Samsung over-saturates the display so it looks better next to a display showing natural colours. They also allow their displays to go incredibly bright, which is why the battery is abysmal on most Android phones.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Dude, call me when Samsung shows colours the way they are actually intended. And "you can not deny"? Obviously I can, because I have been disputing them! >_>

Samsung over-saturates the display so it looks better next to a display showing natural colours. They also allow their displays to go incredibly bright, which is why the battery is abysmal on most Android phones.

You obviously have strong personal opinions about this which, go deeper than what I stated using an unbiased opinion. I just do not want to spark a debate.

I also disagree with your last sentence. If you research Samsung android devices versus the field you will find they are quite opposite of abysmal....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You obviously have strong personal opinions about this which, go deeper than what I stated using an unbiased opinion. I just do not want to spark a debate.

I also disagree with your last sentence. If you research Samsung android devices versus the field you will find they are quite opposite of abysmal....

Agree with you samsung has some of the best battery life amongst any android phones. That is a fact idk why some people argue and act like they have all this knowledge when they really don't lmao.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Individual preferances for display color and clarity are highly subjective. You have to test devices side by side in various lighting conditions (indoor, outdoor, etc.) in order to decide what suits your tastes in the majority of conditions you would use it in. Most people don't do that kind of testing, so their decisions are based on snap judgments of the screen. In any case, it's subjective. Pick what you like.

Battery life is not subjective, but each person's perception of battery life is. Someone who spends an average of 30 min. each talking, checking email/Twitter/Facebook and playing games will probably find the battery life of any phone sufficient. Someone who uses their phone most of their waking hours will have a much different opinion.

Check out the Android forums to hear chatter about battery life on the S2.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm going with NO iPhone 5... it will be iPhone 4S and will extremely minor external differences from the current iPhone4, the current crop of "iPhone 5 cases" notwithstanding.

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
What exactly are people expecting a "Re-design" of the iphone would be? Curve back, bigger screen, metal casing? Isn't that just the OG iPhone with all things said and done? I read somewhere the phone can't go slimmer due to the camera(I could be wrong). But the current iPhone is pretty nice, not to big, and not to small. A metal casing would be great instead of glass though. I have friends who own the EVO and it is obnoxiously big. Probably just me, but I would rather not have a mini iPad in my pocket.

Just my .02, Definitely looking forward to tomorrow though!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR