Is anyone considering the Samsung Galaxy SII instead?

What are you considering spending YOUR money on?

• iPhone

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy SII or Other Android

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Mango Phones

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It's all about hardware for me.

If the iPhone 4S/5/whatever doesn't meet or surpass the Galaxy SII across the board, it's not worth it IMO.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up a Galaxy SII to try out for a few days while I wait for pre-orders to start. We'll see how I like it. I've gotta say though, it's a pretty sweet phone. It's quick and very easy to use and customize. This will be my first Android phone since the Moto Droid on launch day. I think it's come quite far since then.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

If it's only an iPhone 4S, I may keep this thing.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There most likely wont be that large of lines. Verizon allows for preorders and most people go that method rather than having to deal with the clueless sales reps. Just look last year at the i4 launch they sold like over a million or some iphones just with preorders and have virtually nobody come in store.

The Verizon iP4 launch was unique in that the phone was already 8 mos. old at that point. Millions of Verizon customers bought it right away, but they didn't feel the need to wait in line for it. Also, availability was not really in question since Apple had all production fully ramped up by then. A new iPhone on Day one is a different story. I'd be very surprised if there were no lines at Verizon stores when the new iPhone hits the shelves.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure AT&T and Verizon will sell it Online on Day 1, with a heaping of newly overpriced calling and data plan tiered packages.

Actually I'm hoping Apple & the carriers will make it available for pre-orders this week with in-store pick-up on launch day. Here's a summary of what they did for the iPhone 4 launch.
Tuesday (June 15, 2010) is iPhone 4 pre-order day, the day when forward-thinking iPhone fans can reserve a device for pick-up at an Apple Store or home delivery on Thursday, June 24.

With Apple you can choose to either have your new iPhone 4 delivered to you on Thursday, June 24 or you can pick it up that same day at an Apple Store location.

AT&T is also offering June 24 delivery to your home or business, but in-store pick-ups will start at AT&T stores on Friday, June 25 -- the day after the official iPhone 4 launch.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i wanted to add that i dont like the way it comes in different versions on different carriers. and it's not just how the phone looks between different carriers either; they actually have different specs. i think the at&t galaxy s 2 looks better

Seriously! I don't understand why Samsung is so keen on doing this. I really don't see how it helps them. Can't they just make one phone for different radios?

Maybe it's because they need to justify the slow carrier-by-carrier software updates with small hardware differences.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I think Sprint has the better phone spec wise.. bigger screen, bigger battery for starters.

I disagree. The screen being bigger with the same amount of pixels shows and the battery is to help the larger screen out. I prefer the AT&T model as it's the closet to the unlocked version in every other aspect minus the physical home button.

Jotexozo

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought one last monday. Previously, I had an iPhone for 4 years. I have an iPad and a Macbook pro. I like the phone more than I could have imagined.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
More interested in the Nexus Prime announcement on Oct. 11 than the SII right now.

Seems like there's a bigger fish coming along every week now.

lol

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
More interested in the Nexus Prime announcement on Oct. 11 than the SII right now...Seems like there's a bigger fish coming along every week now.

That's always been the case in the Android universe since the Nexus One and the original Droid in late 2009. But I think the Nexus Prime and/or Droid Prime (still not sure if these are one and the same) should be all for this year, right? Next up would be the first Goog-orola phone whenever they get that deal approved.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That's always been the case in the Android universe since the Nexus One and the original Droid in late 2009. But I think the Nexus Prime and/or Droid Prime (still not sure if these are one and the same) should be all for this year, right? Next up would be the first Goog-orola phone whenever they get that deal approved.

Yeah... We have an S2 right now, and I think the next Android phone I buy for dev will probably be the Googorola one, whatever it is. Google-sanctioned officialness, Motorola build quality, yup.. Sounds good.

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
i wanted to add that i dont like the way it comes in different versions on different carriers. and it's not just how the phone looks between different carriers either; they actually have different specs. i think the at&t galaxy s 2 looks better

And if we mentioned the word "fragmentation", Google calls shenanigans.

This is fragmentation 2.0

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the SGSII for Sprint for about three days and I had to take it back and reactivate my iPhone 4 with AT&T. I didn't like the Sprint service. The phone itself was awesome. The screen was beautiful, but not as sharp as the iPhone. I played the same videos with each side by side and the clarity in the iPhone was stunning. But the colors in the SGSII were a lot better. As for performance, the SGSII was slightly more snappy. But the real difference is in the apps themselves. The iPhone apps are better. The subtle animations and details make them better. Plus battery life on the SGSII wasn't terrible, but not as good as the iPhone.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Had the international version of the GS2 and came back to the iphone 4. Performance on the GS2 was amazing. Much faster than the Iphone 4 in basically every department. But, what you get in speed you lose in battery life. I actually just purchased the GS2 for ATT to see if they had improved the battery life. Same as before. I use the phone pretty much the same every day. The Iphone 4 loses about 3-4% per hour with the GS2 loses between 6-7% per hour.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal