Is anyone considering the Samsung Galaxy SII instead?

What are you considering spending YOUR money on?

• iPhone

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy SII or Other Android

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Mango Phones

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That new iPhone argument is pretty weak sauce. If there were 10 models of iPhones are we to believe the sales would be doubled. Ythere are plenty of models of Windows Phones and the sales are damn near non-existent. Plenty of Blackberry phones yet the sales have plummeted. Nokia anyone? Simply having many models does not equate to massive sales. Are we really to believe that Apple is sitting on its hands letting double the profit pass them by? Seriously?

I remember hearing just wait till the iPhone 4 and the trends will reverse....Android growth accelerated. Just wait till Verizon gets the iPhone....Android growth still through the roof.

Um, if there were 30 iPhones available on every single carrier all over the world going on BOGO sales, available for $249 off-contract, etc.... Yes there would definitely be bigger sales numbers. In fact even if the one iPhone were available on all carriers in say early 2009, Android wouldn't have ever gained so much traction. Verizon never would've backed Android like that if they had the iPhone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Um, if there were 30 iPhones available on every single carrier all over the world going on BOGO sales, available for $249 off-contract, etc.... Yes there would definitely be bigger sales numbers. In fact even if the one iPhone were available on all carriers in say early 2009, Android wouldn't have ever gained so much traction. Verizon never would've backed Android like that if they had the iPhone.

Verizon turned down the iPhone before Android was getting footing. Nobody is stopping apple from making more iphones. And the bogo Android being cheap yeah the low end androids are but the high ends cost just as much as the iPhone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Verizon turned down the iPhone before Android was getting footing. Nobody is stopping apple from making more iphones. And the bogo Android being cheap yeah the low end androids are but the high ends cost just as much as the iPhone.

Yes, they did, because Apple wouldn't let them put their horrid VCrap on it. After Apple went to Cingular (AT&T) and it became a huge success, Verizon regretted this immensely, but Apple had already signed the exclusivity deal. Politics aside, I am simply saying that if Verizon already had a cash cow like the iPhone (when Android was only a T-Mobile thing), they would not have poured all that money into marketing Android phones the way that they have.

Nobody is stopping Apple from making more iPhones? How about quality and user experience... New devices are commitments for Apple. They are not just a flash in the pan like most Android devices.

I'm not saying that there aren't great high-end Android devices, I'm just saying that having tons of BOGO androids and low cost prepaid Androids definitely helps to gain market share.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they did, because Apple wouldn't let them put their horrid VCrap on it. After Apple went to Cingular (AT&T) and it became a huge success, Verizon regretted this immensely, but Apple had already signed the exclusivity deal. Politics aside, I am simply saying that if Verizon already had a cash cow like the iPhone (when Android was only a T-Mobile thing), they would not have poured all that money into marketing Android phones the way that they have.

Nobody is stopping Apple from making more iPhones? How about quality and user experience... New devices are commitments for Apple. They are not just a flash in the pan like most Android devices.

I'm not saying that there aren't great high-end Android devices, I'm just saying that having tons of BOGO androids and low cost prepaid Androids definitely helps to gain market share.

Well if you are going by market share apple has ipod touches where as Android has no music players. Plus the older model iPhone is usually priced the same as low end androids and sells well. at that time verizon had the bbs which were selling really well then and they still backed android and didn't get an iPhone for 4 years.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Well if you are going by market share apple has ipod touches where as Android has no music players. Plus the older model iPhone is usually priced the same as low end androids and sells well. at that time verizon had the bbs which were selling really well then and they still backed android and didn't get an iPhone for 4 years.

Yeah and that's part of my point.. You can't compare ALL android phones just against the iPhone. If it's OS, go on OS. You have to at least include the ipod touch numbers, and in most cases, the iPad as well.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
To be 100% honest, I'd only consider doing a galaxy s 2 as a temporary phone if the iPhone 4s or 5 is terrible on Verizon. I'd go with the s 2 until I could pay off AT&T and go back to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah and that's part of my point.. You can't compare ALL android phones just against the iPhone. If it's OS, go on OS. You have to at least include the ipod touch numbers, and in most cases, the iPad as well.

Yeah, you can't count marketshare the way you have always counted marketshare because Apple doesn't come out on top that way. :rolleyes:. Newsflash for you Jello, at the rate the Galaxy series phone has been growing in popularity, pretty soon it may just be beating the iPhone on its own.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, you can't count marketshare the way you have always counted marketshare because Apple doesn't come out on top that way. :rolleyes:. Newsflash for you Jello, at the rate the Galaxy series phone has been growing in popularity, pretty soon it may just be beating the iPhone on its own.

Ok sure, again you are pitting an entire series of phones against one device.

And how have you "always" counted market share? The fact is that if you're going by OS, you count the entire OS. You don't just count certain types of devices that run the OS, because the figure is completely irrelevant to the overall OS market share. You don't compare an entire OS against one device. That's like comparing the whole of iOS against the Nexus S... It's unfair.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok sure, again you are pitting an entire series of phones against one device.

And how have you "always" counted market share? The fact is that if you're going by OS, you count the entire OS. You don't just count certain types of devices that run the OS, because the figure is completely irrelevant to the overall OS market share. You don't compare an entire OS against one device. That's like comparing the whole of iOS against the Nexus S... It's unfair.

Not really its comparing phones to phones. Just because Android has a million phones doesn't mean you can add in ipod touches trying to inflate that market share. Just saying

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Not really its comparing phones to phones. Just because Android has a million phones doesn't mean you can add in ipod touches trying to inflate that market share. Just saying

Sure, but there is no point to this comparison. OS market share only matters for applications and developers. My point is that the iPod touch and iPad can run the iPhone's apps and run the same OS with minor changes. If you're going to count OS market share, you should count all devices under the OS.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
...at the rate the Galaxy series phone has been growing in popularity, pretty soon it may just be beating the iPhone on its own.

Samsung recently announced it had shipped (not sold) 10 million of the Galaxy S2 series since the end of April. That's 2 million per month for 5 months.

In a few weeks Apple will report their earnings for the July-Sept. quarter. They will report between 18-20 million iPhones sold. That's 6-7 million per month for 2 phone models that are 1-2 yrs. old. This upcoming 5th gen iPhone is going to leap to the 9-10 million PER MONTH rate.

There is no chance the Galaxy series is going to catch up to the iPhone. In fact, there's no chance that all the high end ($400+) smartphones from Samsung, HTC & Motorola combined will catch up to iPhone unit sales numbers.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Sure, but there is no point to this comparison. OS market share only matters for applications and developers. My point is that the iPod touch and iPad can run the iPhone's apps and run the same OS with minor changes. If you're going to count OS market share, you should count all devices under the OS.

Well you were complaining that android says all the phones and that is the entire os when it isn't it is just the phone part of it and there are other things to add in. You're right there is no point in comparing them.

bberrynewbie84

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This is my reaction to this thread

48f0fc90-db91-c5e6.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
This is my reaction to this thread

48f0fc90-db91-c5e6.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

you know thats coming up as a jpg right? :p

Well you were complaining that android says all the phones and that is the entire os when it isn't it is just the phone part of it and there are other things to add in. You're right there is no point in comparing them.
Yes, because in order to get OS market share stats that actually matter, you have to go toe-to-toe. OS to OS, not OS to one phone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
you know thats coming up as a jpg right? :p

Yes, because in order to get OS market share stats that actually matter, you have to go toe-to-toe. OS to OS, not OS to one phone.

Phone sales are phone sales. Everyone always says the iphone blows all others away sales wise. not to mention there are 4 iphones not just 1. I know most either have a 3g,3gs or 4 some may have the original and even if you just want to count the 3g,3gs and 4 that is 3 phones.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Phone sales are phone sales. Everyone always says the iphone blows all others away sales wise. not to mention there are 4 iphones not just 1. I know most either have a 3g,3gs or 4 some may have the original and even if you just want to count the 3g,3gs and 4 that is 3 phones.

Sure! I'm not talking about phone sales, though! And if you put the iPhone against any other competing device (one device, not all of them lumped together), it beats them. There are very few cases in which one device has beaten iPhone 4 in its home market (for one quarter), i.e. the X10 or the S2 (in Japan and Korea, respectively), but worldwide, the iPhone 4 has far greater sales than any one handset around the world.

There are 4 iPhone models available?? So you can walk into an Apple store and buy a first-gen iPhone? Let me know how that goes.

Again, I must state I am talking about Operating System market share. I am not talking about phone sales. You even agreed with me that OS market share by phone is useless because of the other devices that can leverage the success of each OS.

Anyway man... these threads keep devolving into the same thing... I am going to try not to take any threads off-topic from now on...

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Are we really to believe that Apple is sitting on its hands letting double the profit pass them by? Seriously?
For the first 6 months after the iPhone 4 was introduced, Apple couldn't make the iPhone 4 fast enough to meet demand. Probably the same thing will happen once the 5th gen iPhone hits the shelves. Don't worry about Apple letting profit pass them by. They harvest ~66% of all the profits in the cell phone industry. Seriously.
I remember hearing just wait till the iPhone 4 and the trends will reverse....Android growth accelerated. Just wait till Verizon gets the iPhone....Android growth still through the roof.
Android activations are still growing. That doesn't mean that Android sales at Verizon are still growing. In late July Verizon reported earnings for the 2nd quarter of this year. They reported 2.3 million iPhone sales. They didn't say anything about sales of Android phones or any other smartphones. Analysts speculated that they easily sold more iPhones than all other Android models combined. The iPhone killed Android sales growth at Verizon. It didn't kill Android. It stalled its growth. And that was with an 8 month old iPhone 4. We're about to find out what happens when Verizon gets a new iPhone.
Change the rules however you see fit to make yourself feel better. Phone sales have been counted this way for years, but since Apple iOS phones sales are getting pummeled by sales of Android phones, now you want to count every other iOS device in order to pad the numbers. That's certainly your prerogative.
Yes, the cell phone industry has always focused on unit sales numbers. That's why for most of the past 5 yrs. Nokia & RIM (Blackberry) have led in smartphone market share. Being the market share leader didn't help them. Maybe it made them feel better?

It's your prerogative to count all Android phones as a single entity. I can assure you the cell phone makers don't count sales that way. Do you really think Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. think they are playing on the same team? Go Android team! All for one and one for all! Bull! Although they may tout their own unit market share numbers, what they really want is profits. Samsung and HTC still make profits, but Motorola, Sony & LG did not make a profit last quarter. Android "winning" doesn't do them any good.

Does it do Google any good? 550,000 activations per day equals ~50 million per quarter. What does Google get from that? They get to pay $billions to develop and maintain Android. They get to pay $12.5 billion for Motorola in an attempt to protect themselves from patent lawsuits. They get maybe $1 billion in ad revenue from mobile devices, but most of that (they recently said 2/3rds when reporting to the Senate) comes from iOS devices. Android is a wide & deep money pit for Google.

So you Android fans are always pumped that Android is "winning" against iPhone. Who exactly is winning? Samsung & HTC now have to pay patent fees to Microsoft for using Android. And both are spending millions to pay lawyers to represent them in multiple lawsuits against Apple. Best of all, they will now have to compete directly against Google once the Motorola deal passes.

Meanwhile, Apple is banking a cool $2+ billion per month in profits from iPhone sales. Profits. Per. Month. Poor, poor Apple. They're such losers.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
For the first 6 months after the iPhone 4 was introduced, Apple couldn't make the iPhone 4 fast enough to meet demand. Probably the same thing will happen once the 5th gen iPhone hits the shelves. Don't worry about Apple letting profit pass them by. They harvest ~66% of all the profits in the cell phone industry. Seriously.

Android activations are still growing. That doesn't mean that Android sales at Verizon are still growing. In late July Verizon reported earnings for the 2nd quarter of this year. They reported 2.3 million iPhone sales. They didn't say anything about sales of Android phones or any other smartphones. Analysts speculated that they easily sold more iPhones than all other Android models combined. The iPhone killed Android sales growth at Verizon. It didn't kill Android. It stalled its growth. And that was with an 8 month old iPhone 4. We're about to find out what happens when Verizon gets a new iPhone.

Yes, the cell phone industry has always focused on unit sales numbers. That's why for most of the past 5 yrs. Nokia & RIM (Blackberry) have led in smartphone market share. Being the market share leader didn't help them. Maybe it made them feel better?

It's your prerogative to count all Android phones as a single entity. I can assure you the cell phone makers don't count sales that way. Do you really think Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. think they are playing on the same team? Go Android team! All for one and one for all! Bull! Although they may tout their own unit market share numbers, what they really want is profits. Samsung and HTC still make profits, but Motorola, Sony & LG did not make a profit last quarter. Android "winning" doesn't do them any good.

Does it do Google any good? 550,000 activations per day equals ~50 million per quarter. What does Google get from that? They get to pay $billions to develop and maintain Android. They get to pay $12.5 billion for Motorola in an attempt to protect themselves from patent lawsuits. They get maybe $1 billion in ad revenue from mobile devices, but most of that (they recently said 2/3rds when reporting to the Senate) comes from iOS devices. Android is a wide & deep money pit for Google.

So you Android fans are always pumped that Android is "winning" against iPhone. Who exactly is winning? Samsung & HTC now have to pay patent fees to Microsoft for using Android. And both are spending millions to pay lawyers to represent them in multiple lawsuits against Apple. Best of all, they will now have to compete directly against Google once the Motorola deal passes.

Meanwhile, Apple is banking a cool $2+ billion per month in profits from iPhone sales. Profits. Per. Month. Poor, poor Apple. They're such losers.

Well. Freakin. Said.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site

Woulda, coulda, shoulda......I knew it would only be a matter of time before we heard the rest of the usual excuses.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods