The New Iphone (Rumored Internals and Software features)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I hope the Assistant thing is true with the Wolfram Alpha integration, that would be so sweet for work.

Edharv1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, more rumors... I am just hopping that Apple actually announces something soon.

We will be hearing rumors all the way up to October 4th my friend, hopefully we will get some spy shots soon.

I think the we might definitely see the voice recognition feature since apple did acquire the company Siri.

tewest86

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
We will be hearing rumors all the way up to October 4th my friend, hopefully we will get some spy shots soon.

I think the we might definitely see the voice recognition feature since apple did acquire the company Siri.

You do know that the Oct. 4 event is a "RUMOR" right?

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the more believable rumors. Still a rumor, but a very detailed one. I would not be surprised if most of the details came true. Here are the parts that are new to me:
? a software feature called Assistant...Apple?s Siri-inspired, system-wide voice navigation system. It so far appears that iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users will be left out in the fun, unfortunately, because the feature requires the A5 CPU and additional RAM...the biggest game changer in this year?s iPhone.

? Another interesting Assistant feature is the ability to create and send an SMS or iMessage with just your voice. For example, you can say ?send a text to Mark saying I?ll be running late to lunch!? ? and it will send. This is a super compelling feature for people who cannot physically or safely take the time to type out a text message. Users can also choose to have Assistant read back unsent text messages to ensure the system interpreted the speech correctly. If the text is written correctly, the user simply says ?yes;? if not the user says ?no? and Assistant will ask the user to speak again.

? In addition to Assistant, the new iPhone features Nuance speech-to-text integration, formally called ?Dictation,? according to a mobile carrier source familiar with the feature?s extended testing. As expected, the user just taps the microphone icon, speaks, and the speech becomes text. This happens in less than a second in most cases and is unbelievably accurate.

I agree the Wolfram Alpha integration would be fantastic. As a group, these details could provide the "wow" factor needed for a new iPhone launch. Many details were revealed at the iOS 5 event and the hardware upgrades (A5, camera, RAM) are mostly "known".

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Wow... Even if it uses the same body as the iPhone 4, I would buy this over and over again... I mean I was really looking forward to a new design, mostly because one-handed use is hampered if I am using my left hand to hold the device (due to the antenna, inability to receive SMS when it is covered), but I am really excited to see even better graphics and much faster performance!

I just hope they do not really use the name "4S"... I find that name so irritating.

The voice integration sounds really amazing. It sounds like the true evolution of voice integration on mobile devices. I am really looking forward to seeing the extent of its capabilities.

Last edited:

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If this rumor is true, then no LTE and no bigger screen. I know it's Apple, but wondering what the effect this will have on the market for smartphones. I don't see Apple continuing to hold off Android with no LTE or bigger screen.

The dual core A5 processor and added memory will be nice. Not sure how much Assistant will figure in. But I am not excited about this without (1) new design, (2) LTE or (3) no bigger screen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If this rumor is true, then no LTE and no bigger screen. I know it's Apple, but wondering what the effect this will have on the market for smartphones. I don't see Apple continuing to hold off Android with no LTE or bigger screen.

The dual core A5 processor and added memory will be nice. Not sure how much Assistant will figure in. But I am not excited about this without (1) new design, (2) LTE or (3) no bigger screen.

Well, not everyone is so concerned about LTE or a bigger screen (clearly). For most people, 3.5" is plenty big enough, and the additional features this new iPhone provides will definitely shock and amaze most of them enough to bite.

Most of us here are 'power users', not general consumers. We are a very small section of the people who actually buy and use these devices. So while we may care about LTE, big screens, a new design, etc... The fact remains that most people do not. Rest assured, Apple will have no issue competing with other manufacturers, just as they have not for the past 4 years. Especially not in the US, where they are about to launch on another major carrier, and possibly other smaller carriers (as recently rumoured).

realdealio

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
No bigger screen would be disappointing. That being said, this Assistant feature sounds pretty cool. I am no fanboy and I have been preparing to be underwhelmed, but something like this feature is intriguing I'll admit. the potential is almost scary....

tewest86

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the hype over the voice assist. This has been on cellphones for yrs and no one actually uses it. You have to be in a quick place with little to know background noise. Yes, this will wow ppl but how usefull will it actually be. Who actually uses the current voice control features?

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the hype over the voice assist. This has been on cellphones for yrs and no one actually uses it. You have to be in a quick place with little to know background noise. Yes, this will wow ppl but how usefull will it actually be. Who actually uses the current voice control features?

I have never used the voice control features on my iPhone. I used the voice features on my android phone a lot though. If the linked article is correct, I believe you will really like it once you use it a few times.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have never used the voice control features on my iPhone. I used the voice features on my android phone a lot though. If the linked article is correct, I believe you will really like it once you use it a few times.

I actually use the voice control feature when I am walking quite often. Saying "Call Shahnaz Khan" (friend of mine) is a very common occurrence for me when I'm out and about. You can also say "What time is it?" and it tells you the time. Voice Control is nifty but it's nothing like this rumoured new feature.

@tewest11
This voice control will likely be better than others that you've seen before. That's the main point the article strives to make. It should have unrivalled accuracy and allow you to actually converse with the device for clarification.

I for one think it would be kickass to go for a walk or exercise, and get a text message dictated to me through my headphones, which I could then reply to within seconds by simply holding down my headphone button and saying my response aloud. The system then reads its dictation back to me to ensure that it is sending the correct message, I say "yes", et voila.

This is the kind of functionality I have been waiting for in terms of voice integration.

Last edited:

tewest86

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I wish we could get something official soon so I can decide between iPhone 5 or Galaxy S2. I've had every iPhone. I'm just tired of the same screen and software look. I jailbroke but that got old also.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I wish we could get something official soon so I can decide between iPhone 5 or Galaxy S2. I've had every iPhone. I'm just tired of the same screen and software look. I jailbroke but that got old also.

Galaxy S 2 comes out on the 2nd. iPhone 5 is gonna be announced on the 4th...

Is 2 days really such a long time to wait??

And, you could even buy the S2 and try it out and then return it if you decide you want the iPhone 5.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
We recently replaced our on call phone from an african-Americanberry to a nexus S. After using it for a week, it is a little disappointing going back to a 3.5" inch screen. 5.8 inch screen or bust Apple!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods