iPhone launch day question

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
On launch day, does Apple usually launch the iPhone in the morning, or the afternoon (like the iPad 2)? I want to be one of those crazy people in line - for my FIRST smartphone FINALLY - and I am trying to plan for whenever the date will be. Oh, and for Apple stores in malls, where do people line up overnight? I'm trying to decide which store to go to too...

Thanks!
Laura

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
On launch day, does Apple usually launch the iPhone in the morning, or the afternoon (like the iPad 2)? I want to be one of those crazy people in line - for my FIRST smartphone FINALLY - and I am trying to plan for whenever the date will be. Oh, and for Apple stores in malls, where do people line up overnight? I'm trying to decide which store to go to too...

IIRC, they start handing out iPhones when the store opens. In any case, you already know you'll have to line up overnight if you want to be one of the first to get it. If you don't care about that, you could probably just get in line early in the morning and prepare to wait for several hours.

Each mall with an Apple Store has different policies about spending the night. Woz, for example, spent the night at the San Jose Valley Fair mall before the iP4 launch. The two nearest Apple Stores for me are not in malls, so I'd have to either bring a sleeping bag or prep for an all-nighter.

I've never waited in a line like this, but I'm going to guess that either city police or Apple Store security will be around to keep things in order. You might want to ask the stores you're considering. I did wait 30 min. in a line for a recent grand opening t-shirt. It was a great atmosphere with plenty of drinks and snacks being handed out by local businesses.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
But keep this in mind. I waited in line starting at 3:30 am launch day and got my phone WELL before most had waited overnight. Why? Reserved it. At least here, they allowed about 10 people who reserved to 1 who didn't.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
+1 for reserving. I showed up at five in he morning and had my iP4 by 10:30 (doors opened at 9:00). Those that waited overnight without reserving were ticked. Same 10 to 1 ratio.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for the responses! I hadn't thought of googling it - will do that too. I did wait in line for the iPad 2, but the one I wanted was sold out long before I would have gotten to the front of the line. I actually never got into the store - had to go to work. But I had a blast anyway! Didn't enjoy the subsequent week or so without my iPad until I finally got my hands on one (I sold my 1st gen iPad to a friend on my way to the store - another lesson learned!). Of course, they didn't allow reservations for the iPad 2. I sure hope they do for the new iPhone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods