iPhone 5 to have 4.2" screen???

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Very hard to understand with google translate, so it's hard to tell if there is really some legitimacy here. Also, since not many of us would frequent this Korean site (presumably), I doubt any of us really know how reliable they are.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
JMO, but no. Someone calculated that using the current iPhone screen resolution on a 3.7" display could still qualify as "Retina", but going much more above that would require either an increase in resolution or a redefinition of "Retina". Possible, but not probable.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
JMO, but no. Someone calculated that using the current iPhone screen resolution on a 3.7" display could still qualify as "Retina", but going much more above that would require either an increase in resolution or a redefinition of "Retina". Possible, but not probable.

At 4", it would still be 288ppi. 12ppi away from 300. At 4.2", it would be 274ppi. They may choose not refer to it as a 'retina display', but Apple is the one who created that term, and they can govern what is considered a 'retina display' and what isn't. To them, 288ppi may be perfectly fine as a 'retina display', as it's still extremely high ppi for modern displays, and very close to 300ppi.

Anyway, Apple will *not* be increasing the resolution of the iPhone's display, probably not until the iPhone 9 or 10. First of all, they have literally no competition on this front. Not a single manufacturer has come out with a competing device with equal or higher pixel density in this whole year, not even equal resolution (highest out is qHD 960x540 on huge 4.5" phones). Secondly, they just increased it last year. Increasing it again means another headache for developers. There are plenty of lazy developers who didn't even upgrade their top-selling apps (like PopCap with Plants VS Zombies) to retina display for an entire year after the iPhone 4 was released. And in the case of PopCap, they already had the high-res graphics from their iPad version and their desktop version of the game. That's just sad.

Unless Apple decided to do a small resolution increase and make all apps scaleable for this new iPhone because of the larger screen size, but that is a very 'un-Apple-like' move. (i.e. 1080x760 px at 4" for 330ppi, keeping touch points for scalable apps at the exact same size)

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Very hard to understand with google translate, so it's hard to tell if there is really some legitimacy here. Also, since not many of us would frequent this Korean site (presumably), I doubt any of us really know how reliable they are.

I'm just wondering if some Korean site got wind of a deal which is possible, maybe we need Wikileaks to shed the truth on the iP5..:D

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
At 4", it would still be 288ppi. 12ppi away from 300. At 4.2", it would be 274ppi. They may choose not refer to it as a 'retina display', but Apple is the one who created that term, and they can govern what is considered a 'retina display' and what isn't. To them, 288ppi may be perfectly fine as a 'retina display', as it's still extremely high ppi for modern displays, and very close to 300ppi.

Anyway, Apple will *not* be increasing the resolution of the iPhone's display, probably not until the iPhone 9 or 10. First of all, they have literally no competition on this front. Not a single manufacturer has come out with a competing device with equal or higher pixel density in this whole year, not even equal resolution (highest out is qHD 960x540 on huge 4.5" phones).

The HD displays from the competition are on the way, I did think they would try to compete with Apple on this front earlier, I'm guessing the retina quality displays of that size (4 inches plus) didn't exist yet. So there will soon be competition in that area, and they'll have much bigger screens which should look amazing. LG will have had 15 months since the iPhone 4 came out to come up with a larger retina display, definitely possible in that time.

Secondly, they just increased it last year. Increasing it again means another headache for developers.

Since they increased it last year I have my doubts of them doing it again, although I think now would be the time to do instead of waiting. And how do Android developers handle the many different resolutions?

There are plenty of lazy developers who didn't even upgrade their top-selling apps (like PopCap with Plants VS Zombies) to retina display for an entire year after the iPhone 4 was released. And in the case of PopCap, they already had the high-res graphics from their iPad version and their desktop version of the game. That's just sad.

Yea, there's still many icons and some from some really big companies that still haven't made the 2 second upgrade. Some people have said that using the iPad resolution would make things a lot easier as all the iPad apps would instantly work.

Unless Apple decided to do a small resolution increase and make all apps scaleable for this new iPhone because of the larger screen size, but that is a very 'un-Apple-like' move. (i.e. 1080x760 px at 4" for 330ppi, keeping touch points for scalable apps at the exact same size)

What I've been wondering is if there's some way Apple could have built something into iOS5 that automatically scales apps to work with a larger screen until devs can re-do their apps, if that's even possible (seems like it would be, but then I know very little about how that kind of thing works:confused:).

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The HD displays from the competition are on the way, I did think they would try to compete with Apple on this front earlier, I'm guessing the retina quality displays of that size (4 inches plus) didn't exist yet. So there will soon be competition in that area, and they'll have much bigger screens which should look amazing. LG will have had 15 months since the iPhone 4 came out to come up with a larger retina display, definitely possible in that time.

qHD isn't even here yet. 720p Android phones are definitely far off. That is not coming any time soon, and even when it does, it will likely be reserved for 5" phones.

Since they increased it last year I have my doubts of them doing it again, although I think now would be the time to do instead of waiting. And how do Android developers handle the many different resolutions?

Android is built for this, all apps are scalable. iOS is not built to be scalable at all, because everything Apple does is designed for specific touch point sizes. They do not want the buttons and fields changing sizes and proportions randomly app-by-app because of lazy developers. The experience has to be fluid.

Yea, there's still many icons and some from some really big companies that still haven't made the 2 second upgrade. Some people have said that using the iPad resolution would make things a lot easier as all the iPad apps would instantly work.

... No. You can not use an iPad apps on an iPhone screen size, even if it were 5". The touch points would be tiny and it would be like using a Windows Mobile 5 phone. You would need a stylus. It would just be a UX nightmare for everyone.

What I've been wondering is if there's some way Apple could have built something into iOS5 that automatically scales apps to work with a larger screen until devs can re-do their apps, if that's even possible (seems like it would be, but then I know very little about how that kind of thing works:confused:).

That's what I was suggesting, if they gave the 4" display a 1080x760 screen for 330ppi (Same as iPhone 4), so the apps could be scalable and the touch points would be the exact same size. But I just don't think Apple would do that because not every app would scale well, and t they would still have to redo all of the main UI control graphics again. Since it's not a simple 2X resolution in this case, it would be very difficult for Apple and developers to get every graphic perfect.

Anyway we are so far beyond this thread ^-^ lol

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
qHD isn't even here yet. 720p Android phones are definitely far off. That is not coming any time soon, and even when it does, it will likely be reserved for 5" phones.

Aren't there like a dozen phones with qhd?

The Nexus Prime is supposed to be out sometime in October or November with a 4.65 inch screen at 1280x720 resolution.

And from LG:LG LU6200 leaks - LTE, 1.5GHz dual-core CPU and HD screen - GSMArena.com news

I don't know what the ppi comes out to at that size, but it must be pretty good, or at least far better than the current crop.

Android is built for this, all apps are scalable. iOS is not built to be scalable at all, because everything Apple does is designed for specific touch point sizes. They do not want the buttons and fields changing sizes and proportions randomly app-by-app because of lazy developers. The experience has to be fluid.

Can't they just keep them the same? There has to be a way.

... No. You can not use an iPad apps on an iPhone screen size, even if it were 5". The touch points would be tiny and it would be like using a Windows Mobile 5 phone. You would need a stylus. It would just be a UX nightmare for everyone.

Didn't think of that!

That's what I was suggesting, if they gave the 4" display a 1080x760 screen for 330ppi (Same as iPhone 4), so the apps could be scalable and the touch points would be the exact same size. But I just don't think Apple would do that because not every app would scale well, and t they would still have to redo all of the main UI control graphics again. Since it's not a simple 2X resolution in this case, it would be very difficult for Apple and developers to get every graphic perfect.

Maybe that's what's taking so long???:p (wishful thinking)

I wonder if there's a certain resolution that would work at that size (4.2")?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

The new HTC supposed to come out in oct has a 720p screen and so does the new LG.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh