T-Mobile not getting iPhone 5 this year?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
No big surprise here. The AT&T-Mobile merger is not being allowed currently, and T-Mobile uses the AWS frequencies. I do not see Apple making another iPhone just for this very uncommon spectrum.

Anyone who really honestly thought Apple was going to put an iPhone on T-Mobile this year either doesn't know the difference between AT&T and T-Mobile, or just really had a case of wishful thinking. :p

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No big surprise here. The AT&T-Mobile merger is not being allowed currently, and T-Mobile uses the AWS frequencies. I do not see Apple making another iPhone just for this very uncommon spectrum.

Anyone who really honestly thought Apple was going to put an iPhone on T-Mobile this year either doesn't know the difference between AT&T and T-Mobile, or just really had a case of wishful thinking. :p

According to the article, it looks like only the iPhone 5 has been canceled for this year. There is still the possibility that T-Mobile could still get the iPhone 4S as mentioned. The merger from what I have read is still a ways off and there is still much that needs to be settled before then. So I can definetely see them at the very least getting the iPhone 4S.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
According to the article, it looks like only the iPhone 5 has been canceled for this year. There is still the possibility that T-Mobile could still get the iPhone 4S as mentioned. The merger from what I have read is still a ways off and there is still much that needs to be settled before then. So I can definetely see them at the very least getting the iPhone 4S.

Not this year. There's no way. The merger would need to be completed first. Apple isn't making another iPhone just for AWS. They're only saying the 4 might still come to T-Mobile because it wasn't mentioned. They're just grasping at straws here.

Maybe early next year like April or something, but definitely not in 2011. And I don't see Apple only giving certain carriers the budget model. Here in Canada, nearly every carrier has the iPhone 4, even the el cheapo subsidiary carriers.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
it just doesn't make sense yet for apple to waste time and resources on tmo's frequencies if it is going to get bought out so I think they are waiting to see how the merger turns out before they make an iphone for tmo.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
it just doesn't make sense yet for apple to waste time and resources on tmo's frequencies if it is going to get bought out so I think they are waiting to see how the merger turns out before they make an iphone for tmo.

Apple tests stuff way in advance. Maybe it was in the works before the merger talks. We'll see what happens at the event if new carriers are added.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Agreed. And it's not like making a CDMA iPhone which gave them a big benefit in terms of US subscribers, AWS won't give them much of a boost and it really won't help them worldwide, either.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple tests stuff way in advance. Maybe it was in the works before the merger talks. We'll see what happens at the event if new carriers are added.

Yeah, this is what I'm waiting for. The fact is Apple already knows which carrier is going to get the iPhone 4S and 5 ( if that's the case).

Winski

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Tmo-cmo - no gettie big pile of cash

These clowns will loose 5 MILLION customers behind this and become strictly a spectrum supplier - if that... Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of jerks.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
These clowns will loose 5 MILLION customers behind this and become strictly a spectrum supplier - if that... Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of jerks.

It's really not their choice. Apple decides who they give the iPhone too and right now it's not feasible to put an iPhone on T-Mobile.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Actually they aren't "losing" any since the iphone was never on tmo. They will actually gain customers since it is coming to sprint. Just saying apple doesn't need tmo when they already are selling tens of millions of iphones each year.