Its [NOT] official Iphone 5 will be totally redesigned!!

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
This is all the proof I need. We've seen multiple cases with this same general design. Everything case-mate said makes perfect sense.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just throwing this out there but what if there are in fact 2 versions of the iPhone coming out.

The iPhone 5-4G LTE is for Asia and the rest get the 4S?

Good question. If Asia is getting an lte version and the US isnt than that would mean there will be atleast 2 different versions and if that is the case why can't they add lte to the us versions?

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

LTE on China Mobile will be deployed next year at best. Besides, from the TUAW article:
The Cupertino company has expressed an interest in LTE, but the size of the current 4G radios require a re-design of the iconic handset. At this point, Apple is not willing to make these design changes and will wait until the second generation radios debut.

Chances are LTE won't show up on the iPhone until the 6th gen. JMO.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
LTE on China Mobile will be deployed next year at best. Besides, from the TUAW article:

Probably not til the i7 since apple wants to keep it very thin and by that time the chips will be alot smaller than they are now.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I would have to agree with you on this. For one, AT&T from what I heard is only coming out with one LTE phone before the end of this year. That one is going to be the HTC Holiday, which should be out in a few weeks. For another, even though Verizon does have a few other LTE devices on their network, I don't believe Apple would make one LTE iPhone and leave the others without it. I think LTE on the iPhone 6 sounds about right.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I think its real. It can't be an iPod Touch. If you look to the left of the cases, you can see the silent key which was proven to be moved to the right side of the phone in earlier mock-ups of the case of the phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
someone correct me if i am wrong but wasn't there only "bumpers" available at launch day of the 4? and they were from Apple only

for some reason i remember all kinds of threads of how people were worried about their phones not being protected because they were waiting on a case

You are correct, there were only bumpers available. Friggin over priced bumpers only available at the Apple store and ultimately necessary to reduce radio interference. It actually does bug me a lot when cases are not available given the sheer number of options for iPhone cases on the market at any given time.

The fact that only Apple could sell you something and they want $20 or $30 for it was just a complete rip off. Fortunately I did get my refund and I was happy for that, Apple did make it right.

I do hope cases are available again at launch outside of the Apple stores. Who wants to wait in line for a case, seriously.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Probably not til the i7 since apple wants to keep it very thin and by that time the chips will be alot smaller than they are now.

I'm not familiar with the development cycle of the LTE chips, but the TUAW article (and other sources I've come across) imply that one that fits Apple's requirements is not far off. The other part of the equation is that carriers will have built out their networks a bit more by mid-2012.

What happens if HSPA+ is close enough to LTE speeds on GSM networks?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The annoucement on the 7th and release date was the 24th, thats hardly several weeks, more like a week and 1/2 to produce a mass amount of cases. Highly unlikely...

Steve Jobs did say on the press conference last summer regarding antennagate that they did not give specs to case makers prior to the announcement and using that as a excuse that antennagate became a blow out of proportion issue because almost nobody has cases on their phone.

Edharv1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Steve Jobs did say on the press conference last summer regarding antennagate that they did not give specs to case makers prior to the announcement and using that as a excuse that antennagate became a blow out of proportion issue because almost nobody has cases on their phone.

Where is your proof that he said that?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Where is your proof that he said that?

Did you read my post??? Where did I just tell you I saw it? "Apple Press Conference" from last summer. The press conference was on Apple.com last summer for everybodies viewing pleasures. The rest is up to you to find a copy of it.

Last edited:

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Steve didn't really mention case makers. Here's what he did say (transcript from Engadget):
10:26AM "When the 3GS came out, we didn't change the design from the 3G. So there were already lots of cases out there for the phone. And more than 80% of new buyers left the store with a case. Now the new phone doesn't fit those cases, and we can't make these bumpers fast enough, so only 20% leave the store with a case... but we're going to figure it out."

There's no doubt Apple has cut back (if not completely stopped) providing accessory makers with specs to help them have the products ready near launch. Even if they cherry-pick certain manufacturers and smother them with NDAs, once anything gets near an Asian factory the chances for a leak explode.

The recent Case-Mate story is interesting because the leak came from a well-regarded company's website. They're not some fly-by-night outfit selling stuff only on eBay and shipping from China. But as others have pointed out, those could be for the next iPod touch.

If (very big IF) those do turn out to be for the iPhone 5 and Case-Mate had access to the specs from Apple, that whole "leak" was orchestrated with Apple's approval. Probably because Apple realizes the high chances of a leak from Asia and figured they might as well control the leak for their own benefit. It's very unlikely Case-Mate would risk Apple's ire (and possible lawsuits) just for some short-lived publicity.

BTW, antennagate was blown completely out of proportion. iPhone 4 continues to sell like crazy even after 15 months. Returns & complaints continue to be very low.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
^ IMHO, those case mate cases were nothing but a ploy to get all the blog sites to their website. Funny how fast they took that down and replaced it with a "come back here for all your iPhone 5 cases" message not long after the website link was posted everywhere. Pretty slick on case mates part.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Steve didn't really mention case makers. Here's what he did say (transcript from Engadget):

There's no doubt Apple has cut back (if not completely stopped) providing accessory makers with specs to help them have the products ready near launch. Even if they cherry-pick certain manufacturers and smother them with NDAs, once anything gets near an Asian factory the chances for a leak explode.

The recent Case-Mate story is interesting because the leak came from a well-regarded company's website. They're not some fly-by-night outfit selling stuff only on eBay and shipping from China. But as others have pointed out, those could be for the next iPod touch.

If (very big IF) those do turn out to be for the iPhone 5 and Case-Mate had access to the specs from Apple, that whole "leak" was orchestrated with Apple's approval. Probably because Apple realizes the high chances of a leak from Asia and figured they might as well control the leak for their own benefit. It's very unlikely Case-Mate would risk Apple's ire (and possible lawsuits) just for some short-lived publicity.

BTW, antennagate was blown completely out of proportion. iPhone 4 continues to sell like crazy even after 15 months. Returns & complaints continue to be very low.

you have a link to that transcipt? I could fine the entire one. I only found the Q & A's

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner