Chances are LTE won't show up on the iPhone until the 6th gen. JMO.
    I would have to agree with you on this. For one, AT&T from what I heard is only coming out with one LTE phone before the end of this year. That one is going to be the HTC Holiday, which should be out in a few weeks. For another, even though Verizon does have a few other LTE devices on their network, I don't believe Apple would make one LTE iPhone and leave the others without it. I think LTE on the iPhone 6 sounds about right.
    09-15-2011 06:58 PM
    OFFICIAL would mean it comes from Apple.
    you just broke a bunch of fanboy rumor lovers, and make haters hearts.
    09-15-2011 07:02 PM
    you just broke a bunch of fanboy rumor lovers, and make haters hearts.
    what? This makes no sense lol
    09-15-2011 07:14 PM
    I think its real. It can't be an iPod Touch. If you look to the left of the cases, you can see the silent key which was proven to be moved to the right side of the phone in earlier mock-ups of the case of the phone.
    Premium1 likes this.
    09-15-2011 08:07 PM
    someone correct me if i am wrong but wasn't there only "bumpers" available at launch day of the 4? and they were from Apple only

for some reason i remember all kinds of threads of how people were worried about their phones not being protected because they were waiting on a case
    You are correct, there were only bumpers available. Friggin over priced bumpers only available at the Apple store and ultimately necessary to reduce radio interference. It actually does bug me a lot when cases are not available given the sheer number of options for iPhone cases on the market at any given time.

The fact that only Apple could sell you something and they want $20 or $30 for it was just a complete rip off. Fortunately I did get my refund and I was happy for that, Apple did make it right.

I do hope cases are available again at launch outside of the Apple stores. Who wants to wait in line for a case, seriously.
    09-15-2011 10:16 PM
    Probably not til the i7 since apple wants to keep it very thin and by that time the chips will be alot smaller than they are now.
    I'm not familiar with the development cycle of the LTE chips, but the TUAW article (and other sources I've come across) imply that one that fits Apple's requirements is not far off. The other part of the equation is that carriers will have built out their networks a bit more by mid-2012.

What happens if HSPA+ is close enough to LTE speeds on GSM networks?
    09-15-2011 10:35 PM
    The annoucement on the 7th and release date was the 24th, thats hardly several weeks, more like a week and 1/2 to produce a mass amount of cases. Highly unlikely...
    Steve Jobs did say on the press conference last summer regarding antennagate that they did not give specs to case makers prior to the announcement and using that as a excuse that antennagate became a blow out of proportion issue because almost nobody has cases on their phone.
    09-16-2011 12:04 AM
    Steve Jobs did say on the press conference last summer regarding antennagate that they did not give specs to case makers prior to the announcement and using that as a excuse that antennagate became a blow out of proportion issue because almost nobody has cases on their phone.
    Where is your proof that he said that?
    09-16-2011 07:26 AM
    Where is your proof that he said that?
    Did you read my post??? Where did I just tell you I saw it? "Apple Press Conference" from last summer. The press conference was on Apple.com last summer for everybodies viewing pleasures. The rest is up to you to find a copy of it.
    Last edited by Garz; 09-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    Eileen89 and ChaosShadow like this.
    09-16-2011 12:24 PM
    Steve didn't really mention case makers. Here's what he did say (transcript from Engadget):
    10:26AM "When the 3GS came out, we didn't change the design from the 3G. So there were already lots of cases out there for the phone. And more than 80% of new buyers left the store with a case. Now the new phone doesn't fit those cases, and we can't make these bumpers fast enough, so only 20% leave the store with a case... but we're going to figure it out."
    There's no doubt Apple has cut back (if not completely stopped) providing accessory makers with specs to help them have the products ready near launch. Even if they cherry-pick certain manufacturers and smother them with NDAs, once anything gets near an Asian factory the chances for a leak explode.

The recent Case-Mate story is interesting because the leak came from a well-regarded company's website. They're not some fly-by-night outfit selling stuff only on eBay and shipping from China. But as others have pointed out, those could be for the next iPod touch.

If (very big IF) those do turn out to be for the iPhone 5 and Case-Mate had access to the specs from Apple, that whole "leak" was orchestrated with Apple's approval. Probably because Apple realizes the high chances of a leak from Asia and figured they might as well control the leak for their own benefit. It's very unlikely Case-Mate would risk Apple's ire (and possible lawsuits) just for some short-lived publicity.

BTW, antennagate was blown completely out of proportion. iPhone 4 continues to sell like crazy even after 15 months. Returns & complaints continue to be very low.
    09-16-2011 01:58 PM
    ^ IMHO, those case mate cases were nothing but a ploy to get all the blog sites to their website. Funny how fast they took that down and replaced it with a "come back here for all your iPhone 5 cases" message not long after the website link was posted everywhere. Pretty slick on case mates part.
    09-16-2011 02:07 PM
    Steve didn't really mention case makers. Here's what he did say (transcript from Engadget):

There's no doubt Apple has cut back (if not completely stopped) providing accessory makers with specs to help them have the products ready near launch. Even if they cherry-pick certain manufacturers and smother them with NDAs, once anything gets near an Asian factory the chances for a leak explode.

The recent Case-Mate story is interesting because the leak came from a well-regarded company's website. They're not some fly-by-night outfit selling stuff only on eBay and shipping from China. But as others have pointed out, those could be for the next iPod touch.

If (very big IF) those do turn out to be for the iPhone 5 and Case-Mate had access to the specs from Apple, that whole "leak" was orchestrated with Apple's approval. Probably because Apple realizes the high chances of a leak from Asia and figured they might as well control the leak for their own benefit. It's very unlikely Case-Mate would risk Apple's ire (and possible lawsuits) just for some short-lived publicity.

BTW, antennagate was blown completely out of proportion. iPhone 4 continues to sell like crazy even after 15 months. Returns & complaints continue to be very low.
    you have a link to that transcipt? I could fine the entire one. I only found the Q & A's
    09-16-2011 02:27 PM
    you have a link to that transcipt? I could fine the entire one. I only found the Q & A's
    Go to the 21min mark of the vid.

P.S I hope I'm allowed to post this link..
    09-16-2011 02:31 PM
    The video skier posted is of course more complete. This Engadget link goes to their liveblog transcript, not a full transcript of everything said.
    09-16-2011 02:37 PM
    Go to the 21min mark of the vid.

P.S I hope I'm allowed to post this link..
    yes you can. Thanks for the link!
    09-16-2011 02:42 PM

At the 21 min 40 sec part of the video posted, Mr Jobs did state they did not show the phone to anybody to make cases. Yes there was some specs leaked since the phone was lost in the bar but there was no confirmation that that would be the official. Apple is very secretive. Thaey dont trust or show anybody anything.
    09-16-2011 02:47 PM
    At the 21 min 40 sec part of the video posted, Mr Jobs did state they did not show the phone to anybody to make cases.
    My mistake. Your memory is better than mine. I should've known better than to trust an abridged transcript.
    09-16-2011 03:28 PM
    Did you read my post??? Where did I just tell you I saw it? "Apple Press Conference" from last summer. The press conference was on Apple.com last summer for everybodies viewing pleasures. The rest is up to you to find a copy of it.
    First of all I just asked you a question! I asked you if you could provide proof or documentation behind what you said. A lot of people say a lot of random things in forums. The tone in your response was unecessary! Especially for a moderator!
    Premium1 and hollidizzle like this.
    09-16-2011 03:29 PM
    first of all i just asked you a question! I asked you if you could provide proof or documentation behind what you said. A lot of people say a lot of random things in forums. The tone in your response was unecessary! Especially for a moderator!
    ouch......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-17-2011 09:19 PM
    Well I would like to wait for official announcement...
    And these are in the cover, and can't see the Apple Logo!
    So, maybe this is another ad for Apple!
    09-20-2011 11:31 PM
    Fake.Heard it is going to be World phone without LTE.
    09-21-2011 08:27 AM
    Fake.Heard it is going to be World phone without LTE.
    I heard it will be a world phone with no LTE as well, however, I will reserve calling any rumor a fake till I hear something official from Apple.
    09-21-2011 08:30 AM
    iPhone 5 without LTE would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't mind waiting around for iPhone 6.
    09-21-2011 10:48 PM
    iPhone 5 without LTE would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't mind waiting around for iPhone 6.
    Well then wait for the iPhone 6 that is looking like the one that will have lte.
    09-22-2011 09:25 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD