No new design for Iphone 5 (aka iPhone 4S)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It would seem to me other equipment makers are designing based off of Apple's look/success. Isn't that what landed Samsung into hot water in Europe?

Apple cares just as much about the look/design of there products as they do the functionality. This is what makes them unique.

Yes... And if people wanted Apple to go in the direction of the other OEMs, Apple's device wouldn't be outselling every other competing device on the market.

tedzone

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone.... been a crackberry member for a long time. I post quite often there. I've also been reading your great forum for some time but just recently signed up. I hope and think that there WILL be a redesign.
1) I hope-- that's an easy one... I hope cause even though I use BBs more, I always have the latest iPhone as well cause I love the way they do the things they do... so obviously, a new toy would feel awesome.
2) I think-- we know they're launching a new phone soon. We also read everywhere that they intend to sell thirty million units-- that's THIRTY MILLION. I just can't buy that they'd think they'd sell thirty million
RE-fresh (that's probably not a word) units. Thirty million totally new, totally slick, totally sexy, totally android-killer phones-- yes.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In order of probability from most likely to least likely:

1. Your source is right.
2. Your source is wrong (didn't know all the details).
3. Your source knew all the details and lied to you.

I'm guessing you're really hoping for #2.

Maybe a 4. Source held back a surprise for me. :eek:

But I'd still go with 1.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
1. Your source is right.
2. Your source is wrong (didn't know all the details).
3. Your source knew all the details and lied to you.
Maybe a 4. Source held back a surprise for me. :eek:
But I'd still go with 1.

If your source intentionally held back information, he effectively lied to you. That suggests that Apple engages in active disinformation. I'm not sure they do that, but I think that'd be fine if they did.

This uncertainty as to what the next iPhone will be like and when it will arrive is great for business. First, anyone inclined to wait for a new phone has absolutely no idea what they're waiting for or when they can hope to get it. Second, it keeps the blogosphere endlessly humming about the iPhone.

If #4 is true and the next iPhone does have a "surprising" new design (your source told you otherwise), some people would be more inclined to wait. But if people believed that the next iPhone will not have a new design, then those people would probably just buy the iPhone 4. A sale today is better than a sale 3 months from now.

I may be repeating myself, but it won't matter to me if the next iPhone retains the same design. I'll be buying it on day one regardless.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say Apple does actively engage is disinformation (I am sure many other companies do as well), especially those who have leaks and "lost" prototypes. Apple very likely does give out different bits of information to different people to determine where the leaks are. I do recall back in the day how Apple went after that one Apple site (silenced long ago) who was always spot on with the goods. Is it ethical, fair, reasonable or bad business? That is up to everyone else to decide. I enjoyed the old days when good leaks actually meant GOOD LEAKS.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have no doubt that Apple sends out fake tips to news organizations, like when everyone reported the iPad would be $999. Apple clearly planted that misinformation so they could shock everyone and draw more attention when it was revealed to be $499.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, though. It's just smart marketing. Clearly Apple doesn't want their customers to know about the product until they announce it themselves, and that's their right.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have no doubt that Apple sends out fake tips to news organizations, like when everyone reported the iPad would be $999. Apple clearly planted that misinformation so they could shock everyone and draw more attention when it was revealed to be $499.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, though. It's just smart marketing. Clearly Apple doesn't want their customers to know about the product until they announce it themselves, and that's their right.

If this is the case, I absolutely agree with you that it is smart marketing tactics on Apples part.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would say Apple does actively engage is disinformation...

I agree. What I meant is that there's no way for anyone to prove it one way or another, so we can't be 100% "sure". But the probability this happens is very, very high.

The larger point I was trying to make is this essentially makes all rumors a crap shoot regardless of the "source". I believe Jeremy has a reliable Apple source, but we'll never know when that source is putting out information or disinformation.

So did that iPad 3 rumor mean that Apple did have an iPad 3 planned for this year and then changed their plans when component pricing didn't pan out? Or was that iPad 3 rumor disinformation to scare the poop out of competitors and force them to release tablets that were far from ready? The first implies Apple had a plan that didn't work out. The second implies Apple had a plan that worked exactly the way they wanted.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
No tears from you then. :p But it might be interesting to see if Apple adresses why they didn't include it similar to how they did with the original iPhone and lack of 3G.

How/why are you so certain it won't be a new phone. I mean I could less because I am happy with my iPhone 4. If the internals were a lot better I might consider selling my iPhone 4 and getting it in white to match my iPad 2...

Just asking because...there have been inventory leaks from multiple compaines, case leaks (at stores and not)...

It's been over a year since the last iPhone, why would they just release a new iPhone 4S with some minor internal upgrades

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
How/why are you so certain it won't be a new phone. I mean I could less because I am happy with my iPhone 4. If the internals were a lot better I might consider selling my iPhone 4 and getting it in white to match my iPad 2...

Just asking because...there have been inventory leaks from multiple compaines, case leaks (at stores and not)...

It's been over a year since the last iPhone, why would they just release a new iPhone 4S with some minor internal upgrades

A 4S is a new phone. Just not majorly redesigned.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
How/why are you so certain it won't be a new phone.

Jeremy is "so certain" because he has sources. The sources have a great (though not perfect) track record. He has acknowledged the possibility that his source is lying to him, but I don't think he really believes that.

Is that a fair representation, Jeremy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Jeremy is "so certain" because he has sources. Those sources have a great (though not perfect) track record. He has acknowledged the possibility that his source is lying to him, but I don't think he really believes that.

Is that a fair representation, Jeremy?

Not really no. Things change. That doesn't mean where I hear things are wrong. Just means "things change". I am now positive what I've said for a while now is happening. 4S all the way baby... ;)

I wish I was lied to. I want that super iPhone.

Last edited:

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Not really no. Things change. That doesn't mean where I hear things are wrong. Just means "things change". I am now positive what I've said for a while now is happening. 4S all the way baby... ;)

Well I hope they really bump the RAM and other interanals up. A 8MP camera would be nice too

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner