front facing LED

scott11

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Making the switch from blackberry-- the thing I will miss the most is the blinking LED on the front so I dont even need to be near my phone to know if I have a message. I have read a few rumor of a similar LED on the iphone 5, but not from any of the reliable sources.

Anyone hear anything about this? It would make my day.

Thanks

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Making the switch from blackberry-- the thing I will miss the most is the blinking LED on the front so I dont even need to be near my phone to know if I have a message. I have read a few rumor of a similar LED on the iphone 5, but not from any of the reliable sources.

Thanks

There are a few other threads talking about this check those out.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Most people do except some of the anal retentive keep it how it is and dont change anything crowd.:eek:

I've had devices with the annoying blinking LED notification, and hated it. If there isn't an option to disable it I would hope Apple doesn't implement the LED. It seems like it's former BB users that want one most.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had devices with the annoying blinking LED notification, and hated it. If there isn't an option to disable it I would hope Apple doesn't implement the LED. It seems like it's former BB users that want one most.

If you get that distracted by a blinking light that you can't 1. ignore it or 2. turn it over then maybe you should not have a phone if you get distracted that easily. An led light makes it easier than having to guess and wonder if you got a new message or alert.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I think with those of us currently with Blackberry's that it's current implementation is off-putting. If you can change the LED like you can with Blackberry's but without the need to purchase an app to do it, that might be helpful. I can live with/without either way. I just am wondering when Apple with make the announcement about new releases.

DJ

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
If you get that distracted by a blinking light that you can't 1. ignore it or 2. turn it over then maybe you should not have a phone if you get distracted that easily. An led light makes it easier than having to guess and wonder if you got a new message or alert.

Your reason for wanting one is just as valid as my reason for not wanting one. Just differences of opinion. You find them useful, I find them annoying. I don't think it's a big deal to push the home button to see my notifications. It's not like it takes a lot of effort to do, or it's time consuming. I wouldn't care if Apple implemented one as long as I can disable it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Your reason for wanting one is just as valid as my reason for not wanting one. Just differences of opinion. You find them useful, I find them annoying. I don't think it's a big deal to push the home button to see my notifications. It's not like it takes a lot of effort to do, or it's time consuming. I wouldn't care if Apple implemented one as long as I can disable it.

Yeah but continually turning the screen on can have an impact on battery more so than a small led would.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but continually turning the screen on can have an impact on battery more so than a small led would.

Not really. With iOS 5.0, I just tap the lock button, see what's new and that's that. I never have to unlock it. Takes 2 seconds instead of the possible led going on over and over until acknowledgement.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not really. With iOS 5.0, I just tap the lock button, see what's new and that's that. I never have to unlock it. Takes 2 seconds instead of the possible led going on over and over until acknowledgement.

Usually led's stop after like 5 min or so so it wouldn't continue to go on. That doesnt change the fact that turning the screen on and off will still use more battery than a led.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

What if you can't just reach over and hit the button? Then what? I have to constantly check my phone to see if I missed something, an LED notification light would make it so I don't have to do so.

I checked out a couple of my friend's Android phones and they both had notification lights, and both of them are completely invisible unless they are lit up because they are hidden behind the ear speaker grill. For those that somehow think one would "ruin" the aesthetics of the iPhone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
LED's are a tough call, on one hand they are great to remind you of something, but on another hand they can get annoying and on a third hand you save a bundle with Allstate. Seriously though given the inconsistent way LED notifications are deployed from one mfg to another and one OS to another perhaps the notification bar is the right way to go.

I have tried different LED apps on BB, used them on Android, get nothing of value out of the poor implementation on another OS I am running. So for me I say add it for those who want it, but allow those who don't want it to turn it off. Apple has done a good job of incorporating the camera LED in the display so its not visible until its active so it shouldn't be too hard.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
For those who find a blinking LED annoying then I suggest reading the text, email, etc. It's only a visual alert, which in many cases can be disabled.

A feature I liked on my droid was assigning LED colors to specific contacts.

Having the LED option is definitely not a bad thing.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site

Thanks

While a notification LED is something that I missed switching to an iPhone and something I was looking forward to be added in the future, I have to tell you that since I installed LockInfo I really don't miss it that much.

For those who are unfamiliar with LockInfo, it's a jailbreak app that shows emails, SMS, calander, calls, etc... on the lockscreen. You simply just tap either button and you see all important information. Even my wife, who's biggest complain with the iPhone was the lack of an LED, doesn't miss it now that she has LockInfo.

The best part is the Apple is stealing, I mean, borrowing that idea for iOS 5 so everyone will have it. So if the iPhone 5 and beyond still exclude the LED, the lockscreen will make for it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I initially hated the idea of an LED, but now that I've been using iOS 5 for so long, I find it really annoying that the notifications are not persistent enough, so sometimes I have not acknowledged it but I don't know it's there because I did something else and now it's just sitting in the notification center. Very hard to explain but it would be nice if there was some kind of indicator which shows if I have notifications waiting. If they would just put an icon in the status bar, problem solved, but it's clear to me now that Apple does not wish to ever do that. So a notification LED may be the best option.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I initially hated the idea of an LED, but now that I've been using iOS 5 for so long, I find it really annoying that the notifications are not persistent enough, so sometimes I have not acknowledged it but I don't know it's there because I did something else and now it's just sitting in the notification center. Very hard to explain but it would be nice if there was some kind of indicator which shows if I have notifications waiting. If they would just put an icon in the status bar, problem solved, but it's clear to me now that Apple does not wish to ever do that. So a notification LED may be the best option.
That is the one AND ONLY thing I miss from my old Blackberry days. The notification LED. I loved how you could customize it by color so you could not only tell that you had a notification at a quick glance, but you could tell WHAT you got (email, BBM, SMS, etc). :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73