Why a bigger screen?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Man that just plain ignorant of why so many want bigger screens. Partially, it's the same reason we moved from 15 inch desktop monitors to 17, 19, 21, 25, @ higher resolutions. People want more screen realestate to be able to see more info. It makes typing easier and the overall visual/touch experience more pleasant.

I completely disagree...typing on my HTC (which has a 4.3" screen), is no easier to type on and the experience is less pleasant in my opinion, since the clarity and quality are not on par.

Also, to speak on the larger screens...the highest selling models of ANY type of computers are 13" and below (as reported by engadget about 3 months ago), which tells me that people don't (on average) prefer larger screens period, much less for any quality or experience reasonings.

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see a 4" screen but without sacrificing the battery life of iphone4. Waiting anxiously...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You realize all the Android phones coming out now are pretty much the exact same thing right?....

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Seriously.

Samsung and HTC just released a bevy of new products and now have screen sizes at 3.2", 3.5", 3.7", 4.0", 4.3", 4.5", 5.3" and a few others playing in that space. Ignore resolution, that's not even close to my point. There are tons of form factors as well.

Dude, if ignorance is bliss, you must be ecstatic.

Not to mention, your accusation of them being 'pretty much the same thing', you say that without looking at the ONE model Apple makes as a current offering?

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid X at the moment while I wait for the iPhone to show up in the mail. It has a 4.3" screen on it. When I got it, it seemed a little on the large side, but I quickly became accustomed to it. Of all the things that I contemplated when deciding to replace it with an iPhone, the screen size caused the most concern. Plain and simple, it's extra real estate. Comparable apps on smaller screens just seem more cramped. It helps quite a bit on virtual keyboards as well. I don't know how to really explain it much better that to say it feels less claustrophobic. I'm sure I'll get used to the smaller sized screen on the iPhone, but I'm going to miss all the glass of the DX all the same. Count me in the camp who'd like to see a larger iPhone in the future.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Seriously.

Samsung and HTC just released a bevy of new products and now have screen sizes at 3.2", 3.5", 3.7", 4.0", 4.3", 4.5", 5.3" and a few others playing in that space. Ignore resolution, that's not even close to my point. There are tons of form factors as well.

Dude, if ignorance is bliss, you must be ecstatic.

Not to mention, your accusation of them being 'pretty much the same thing', you say that without looking at the ONE model Apple makes as a current offering?

Apple is one company. Android phones are made by 600 different companies.

My point was not that all Android phones are similar to one another. I'm saying that evolutionarily there is not a big difference from one generation to the next, just like you see with the iPhone. Typically with each new model an Android manufacturer will make small changes.

Corey
That makes sense but what you have to understand is that at the same 800x480 it is actually not conveying any additional information, so it's not really adding real estate. Screen real estate is added by making the resolution higher, meaning more information can be conveyed on the screen. For example if you have a 15" display at 800x600, that is not more real estate than an 11" screen at the same resolution, and certainly not if the smaller screen has a higher resolution.

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple is one company. Android phones are made by 600 different companies.

My point was not that all Android phones are similar to one another. I'm saying that evolutionarily there is not a big difference from one generation to the next, just like you see with the iPhone. Typically with each new model an Android manufacturer will make small changes.

Corey
That makes sense but what you have to understand is that at the same 800x480 it is actually not conveying any additional information, so it's not really adding real estate. Screen real estate is added by making the resolution higher, meaning more information can be conveyed on the screen. For example if you have a 15" display at 800x600, that is not more real estate than an 11" screen at the same resolution, and certainly not if the smaller screen has a higher resolution.

Resolution-wise, sure, but in terms of actual physical real estate, it's a huge difference. For example: There are quite a few games I have on my phone that have a set-up where the controls are at the lower corners of the screen. The amount of screen not blocked by my fingers on a Droid X is quite an improvement from the same game on my older 3.7" Droid. Increased resolution is wonderful, but it doesn't change the physical size of my thumbs, but 4.3" of screen opens things up nicely. Programs that tend to have more than one finger on the screen for whatever reason benefit greatly from the extra glass.

Lazarus#IM

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
This is always going to be an issue of preference... However I must say, that while a 4" screen sounds big when you are used to a smaller screen, I think most people would be quite surprised how easy and enjoyable it is once you use it regularly. It's really hard to go back to a smaller screen once you have used a slightly larger one. At the end of the day, Apple's market research will reign supreme. In field tests, if the customers prefer a 4" screen, then that's what they'll get. It's all about optimizing the usability of your product for the highest percentage of users.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Resolution-wise, sure, but in terms of actual physical real estate, it's a huge difference. For example: There are quite a few games I have on my phone that have a set-up where the controls are at the lower corners of the screen. The amount of screen not blocked by my fingers on a Droid X is quite an improvement from the same game on my older 3.7" Droid. Increased resolution is wonderful, but it doesn't change the physical size of my thumbs, but 4.3" of screen opens things up nicely. Programs that tend to have more than one finger on the screen for whatever reason benefit greatly from the extra glass.

Makes sense. :p

For me I've been using iPhones since 2008 and the keyboard is so ingrained in my muscle memory it's gonna be a bit of a battle to re-learn on a larger display haha.. :p

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I completely disagree...typing on my HTC (which has a 4.3" screen), is no easier to type on and the experience is less pleasant in my opinion, since the clarity and quality are not on par.

If Apple does it, quality will not be an issue. They will make sure it's polished and enjoyable. ;)

Also, to speak on the larger screens...the highest selling models of ANY type of computers are 13" and below (as reported by engadget about 3 months ago), which tells me that people don't (on average) prefer larger screens period, much less for any quality or experience reasonings.

I disagree. I'd say smaller screen computers or laptops are more popular for the same reason android is so popular. Price. They are cheaper. Lots of low end devices..

To the android defenders: Price is not the only reason android is popular, but it's arguably the biggest.

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. I'd say smaller screen computers or laptops are more popular for the same reason android is so popular. Price. They are cheaper. Lots of low end devices..

To the android defenders: Price is not the only reason android is popular, but it's arguably the biggest.

I'd be willing to wager the availability of Android across all carriers is a bigger reason than price.

Omnomnomkimiiee

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It seems that quite a lot of you guys want the iPhone 5 to have a larger screen. I've read some posts where people stated that it would not be a smart move of Apple if they kept the screen size for iPhone5.
I, for one think the screen size of the iPhone is perfect. I don't want a huge phone, I want one that will fit in my pocket and in the little phone sleeve in my bag.

If I want to watch a movie on a nice big screen i use my iPad, Macbook, or tv.

what are your reasons for wanting a larger screen?

Most people want one because it seems cool to have a giant screen. A lot of consumers just look at spec sheets when they buy something, so they'll be like "Oh look, 1.5Ghz processor, 5" screen, and it's got blah blah blah" and show off stuff they don't really understand.

Sent from a magical mobile device.

jscholz22

Jul 18, 2008
Visit site
Makes sense. :p

For me I've been using iPhones since 2008 and the keyboard is so ingrained in my muscle memory it's gonna be a bit of a battle to re-learn on a larger display haha.. :p

I totally agree. I can type on the screen without looking anymore. I hope they keep the screen the same and make it thinner and longer battery life.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd be willing to wager the availability of Android across all carriers is a bigger reason than price.

Price is part of the reason android devices are available across all carriers.

Egg before chicken. :p

Oh yeah. If the iPhone became only slightly larger to accomodate a 4" screen, my hands wouldn't notice after a week with it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree. I can type on the screen without looking anymore. I hope they keep the screen the same and make it thinner and longer battery life.

I can't say I really hope they keep it the same size, cause I think it may be time for a slight change, but I'm kind of impartial here. I also type without looking... It would be sad to lose that ability temporarily lol..

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Price is part of the reason android devices are available across all carriers.

Egg before chicken. :p

Oh yeah. If the iPhone became only slightly larger to accomodate a 4" screen, my hands wouldn't notice after a week with it.

I'm using a 4.3" screen now. It only took about a day and a half before it felt completely normal.

miggles209

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
IMO Apple needs to release two models to give consumers a choice. An iPhone with the current dimensions and a screen around 3.7 or 3.8 inches would satisfy a large number of consumers. A second phone with a screen between 4.0 and 4.3 would satisfy the other half of consumers. Apple is a business and they hopefully see this need. Im hoping for a larger screen for my next iPhone. I hope Apple doesn't chose to ignore the market for large screen phones. If they do they will lose out on millions of sales to consumers who are only looking at how nice web browsing and gaming are on 4.3 and 4.5 inch screens.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
IMO Apple needs to release two models to give consumers a choice. An iPhone with the current dimensions and a screen around 3.7 or 3.8 inches would satisfy a large number of consumers. A second phone with a screen between 4.0 and 4.3 would satisfy the other half of consumers. Apple is a business and they hopefully see this need. Im hoping for a larger screen for my next iPhone. I hope Apple doesn't chose to ignore the market for large screen phones. If they do they will lose out on millions of sales to consumers who are only looking at how nice web browsing and gaming are on 4.3 and 4.5 inch screens.

I don't think they need a 4.3, i think a iPhone with 4 inch screen would be perfect for thosr who want a larger screen

ahasaidesigns

Sep 5, 2011
www.ahasaidesigns.com
I think the bigger screen's a good idea because of the app (and game) support the iphone has. I find the screen just a little too small, especially when a lot of the control uses finger movements and it blocks the screen.

In saying that, if it was too large, the phone would not fit anywhere. So maybe somewhere between where it is now and the PSP's screen size?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods