You sounds ridiculous hahaha what was your cheap feature phone? specifically?
    When the 3g was out it was probably thr Samsung rogue which could email text all that. So sounding dumb or not its true.
    09-03-2011 01:11 AM
    You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Seriously.

Samsung and HTC just released a bevy of new products and now have screen sizes at 3.2", 3.5", 3.7", 4.0", 4.3", 4.5", 5.3" and a few others playing in that space. Ignore resolution, that's not even close to my point. There are tons of form factors as well.

Dude, if ignorance is bliss, you must be ecstatic.

Not to mention, your accusation of them being 'pretty much the same thing', you say that without looking at the ONE model Apple makes as a current offering?
    Apple is one company. Android phones are made by 600 different companies.

My point was not that all Android phones are similar to one another. I'm saying that evolutionarily there is not a big difference from one generation to the next, just like you see with the iPhone. Typically with each new model an Android manufacturer will make small changes.

Corey
    That makes sense but what you have to understand is that at the same 800x480 it is actually not conveying any additional information, so it's not really adding real estate. Screen real estate is added by making the resolution higher, meaning more information can be conveyed on the screen. For example if you have a 15" display at 800x600, that is not more real estate than an 11" screen at the same resolution, and certainly not if the smaller screen has a higher resolution.
    09-03-2011 01:39 AM
    Apple is one company. Android phones are made by 600 different companies.

My point was not that all Android phones are similar to one another. I'm saying that evolutionarily there is not a big difference from one generation to the next, just like you see with the iPhone. Typically with each new model an Android manufacturer will make small changes.

Corey
    That makes sense but what you have to understand is that at the same 800x480 it is actually not conveying any additional information, so it's not really adding real estate. Screen real estate is added by making the resolution higher, meaning more information can be conveyed on the screen. For example if you have a 15" display at 800x600, that is not more real estate than an 11" screen at the same resolution, and certainly not if the smaller screen has a higher resolution.
    Resolution-wise, sure, but in terms of actual physical real estate, it's a huge difference. For example: There are quite a few games I have on my phone that have a set-up where the controls are at the lower corners of the screen. The amount of screen not blocked by my fingers on a Droid X is quite an improvement from the same game on my older 3.7" Droid. Increased resolution is wonderful, but it doesn't change the physical size of my thumbs, but 4.3" of screen opens things up nicely. Programs that tend to have more than one finger on the screen for whatever reason benefit greatly from the extra glass.
    09-03-2011 01:48 AM
    This is always going to be an issue of preference... However I must say, that while a 4" screen sounds big when you are used to a smaller screen, I think most people would be quite surprised how easy and enjoyable it is once you use it regularly. It's really hard to go back to a smaller screen once you have used a slightly larger one. At the end of the day, Apple's market research will reign supreme. In field tests, if the customers prefer a 4" screen, then that's what they'll get. It's all about optimizing the usability of your product for the highest percentage of users.
    09-03-2011 02:31 AM
    Resolution-wise, sure, but in terms of actual physical real estate, it's a huge difference. For example: There are quite a few games I have on my phone that have a set-up where the controls are at the lower corners of the screen. The amount of screen not blocked by my fingers on a Droid X is quite an improvement from the same game on my older 3.7" Droid. Increased resolution is wonderful, but it doesn't change the physical size of my thumbs, but 4.3" of screen opens things up nicely. Programs that tend to have more than one finger on the screen for whatever reason benefit greatly from the extra glass.
    Makes sense. :P

For me I've been using iPhones since 2008 and the keyboard is so ingrained in my muscle memory it's gonna be a bit of a battle to re-learn on a larger display haha.. :P
    09-03-2011 03:12 AM
    I completely disagree...typing on my HTC (which has a 4.3" screen), is no easier to type on and the experience is less pleasant in my opinion, since the clarity and quality are not on par.

If Apple does it, quality will not be an issue. They will make sure it's polished and enjoyable.

Also, to speak on the larger screens...the highest selling models of ANY type of computers are 13" and below (as reported by engadget about 3 months ago), which tells me that people don't (on average) prefer larger screens period, much less for any quality or experience reasonings.
    I disagree. I'd say smaller screen computers or laptops are more popular for the same reason android is so popular. Price. They are cheaper. Lots of low end devices..

To the android defenders: Price is not the only reason android is popular, but it's arguably the biggest.
    09-03-2011 11:12 AM
    I disagree. I'd say smaller screen computers or laptops are more popular for the same reason android is so popular. Price. They are cheaper. Lots of low end devices..

To the android defenders: Price is not the only reason android is popular, but it's arguably the biggest.
    I'd be willing to wager the availability of Android across all carriers is a bigger reason than price.
    09-03-2011 11:31 AM
    It seems that quite a lot of you guys want the iPhone 5 to have a larger screen. I've read some posts where people stated that it would not be a smart move of Apple if they kept the screen size for iPhone5.
    I, for one think the screen size of the iPhone is perfect. I don't want a huge phone, I want one that will fit in my pocket and in the little phone sleeve in my bag.

If I want to watch a movie on a nice big screen i use my iPad, Macbook, or tv.

what are your reasons for wanting a larger screen?
    Most people want one because it seems cool to have a giant screen. A lot of consumers just look at spec sheets when they buy something, so they'll be like "Oh look, 1.5Ghz processor, 5" screen, and it's got blah blah blah" and show off stuff they don't really understand.

Sent from a magical mobile device.
    09-03-2011 11:46 AM
    Makes sense. :P

For me I've been using iPhones since 2008 and the keyboard is so ingrained in my muscle memory it's gonna be a bit of a battle to re-learn on a larger display haha.. :P
    I totally agree. I can type on the screen without looking anymore. I hope they keep the screen the same and make it thinner and longer battery life.
    09-03-2011 11:58 AM
    I'd be willing to wager the availability of Android across all carriers is a bigger reason than price.
    Price is part of the reason android devices are available across all carriers.

Egg before chicken.

Oh yeah. If the iPhone became only slightly larger to accomodate a 4" screen, my hands wouldn't notice after a week with it.
    09-03-2011 12:38 PM
    I totally agree. I can type on the screen without looking anymore. I hope they keep the screen the same and make it thinner and longer battery life.
    I can't say I really hope they keep it the same size, cause I think it may be time for a slight change, but I'm kind of impartial here. I also type without looking... It would be sad to lose that ability temporarily lol..
    09-03-2011 12:39 PM
    Price is part of the reason android devices are available across all carriers.

Egg before chicken.

Oh yeah. If the iPhone became only slightly larger to accomodate a 4" screen, my hands wouldn't notice after a week with it.
    I'm using a 4.3" screen now. It only took about a day and a half before it felt completely normal.
    Premium1 likes this.
    09-03-2011 12:47 PM
    IMO Apple needs to release two models to give consumers a choice. An iPhone with the current dimensions and a screen around 3.7 or 3.8 inches would satisfy a large number of consumers. A second phone with a screen between 4.0 and 4.3 would satisfy the other half of consumers. Apple is a business and they hopefully see this need. Im hoping for a larger screen for my next iPhone. I hope Apple doesn't chose to ignore the market for large screen phones. If they do they will lose out on millions of sales to consumers who are only looking at how nice web browsing and gaming are on 4.3 and 4.5 inch screens.
    09-04-2011 05:06 PM
    IMO Apple needs to release two models to give consumers a choice. An iPhone with the current dimensions and a screen around 3.7 or 3.8 inches would satisfy a large number of consumers. A second phone with a screen between 4.0 and 4.3 would satisfy the other half of consumers. Apple is a business and they hopefully see this need. Im hoping for a larger screen for my next iPhone. I hope Apple doesn't chose to ignore the market for large screen phones. If they do they will lose out on millions of sales to consumers who are only looking at how nice web browsing and gaming are on 4.3 and 4.5 inch screens.
    I don't think they need a 4.3, i think a iPhone with 4 inch screen would be perfect for thosr who want a larger screen
    09-04-2011 06:08 PM
    I think the bigger screen's a good idea because of the app (and game) support the iphone has. I find the screen just a little too small, especially when a lot of the control uses finger movements and it blocks the screen.

In saying that, if it was too large, the phone would not fit anywhere. So maybe somewhere between where it is now and the PSP's screen size?
    09-04-2011 07:49 PM
    I think the bigger screen's a good idea because of the app (and game) support the iphone has. I find the screen just a little too small, especially when a lot of the control uses finger movements and it blocks the screen.

In saying that, if it was too large, the phone would not fit anywhere. So maybe somewhere between where it is now and the PSP's screen size?
    The PSP's screen is pretty damn big, the entire iPhone fits inside that screen.
    09-05-2011 01:57 AM
    The PSP's screen is pretty damn big, the entire iPhone fits inside that screen.
    That's why he said in between where it is now and that size.
    09-05-2011 02:13 AM
    I was always told size matters. Guess that translates into telephony as well....dammit.
    09-05-2011 11:10 AM
    I completely disagree...typing on my HTC (which has a 4.3" screen), is no easier to type on and the experience is less pleasant in my opinion, since the clarity and quality are not on par.

Also, to speak on the larger screens...the highest selling models of ANY type of computers are 13" and below (as reported by engadget about 3 months ago), which tells me that people don't (on average) prefer larger screens period, much less for any quality or experience reasonings.
    I'm talking about the transition we went through on the desktop dude.
    09-05-2011 12:11 PM

So you said you have an evo so then you probably haven't used any of the new htc with qhd display? I agree the typing on the iphone is very clear and easy but think htc is getting better with their qhd displays.
    09-05-2011 12:25 PM
    So you said you have an evo so then you probably haven't used any of the new htc with qhd display? I agree the typing on the iphone is very clear and easy but think htc is getting better with their qhd displays.
    I think HTC should focus on 720p displays. At 4.3 and 4.5", qHD (960x540) is not really close to how great 960x640 looks on the iPhone's display. qHD is an improvement but a full year after the iPhone 4's release I would've expected that the Android OEMs would leap frog Apple by now. I think this past year has been pretty slow in terms of Android releases and overall evolution, surprisingly.
    09-05-2011 05:11 PM
    I think HTC should focus on 720p displays. At 4.3 and 4.5", qHD (960x540) is not really close to how great 960x640 looks on the iPhone's display. qHD is an improvement but a full year after the iPhone 4's release I would've expected that the Android OEMs would leap frog Apple by now. I think this past year has been pretty slow in terms of Android releases and overall evolution, surprisingly.
    Well their upcoming phones are said to have 720p screens so looks like thats what they are focusing on now. I think they were working on other areas rather than screen tech the past year. either way should be interesting to see what comes out this year.
    09-05-2011 05:51 PM
    After giving Androids Samsung Inspire 4G a trial run this past weekend, I have decided that it would be perfectly fine by me if all the new iPhone had is a 3.7" screen. The Inspire is HUGE and I don't want something that big sitting in my skinny Jean pockets.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 09-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    09-05-2011 07:20 PM
    After giving Androids Samsung Inspire 4G a trial run this past weekend, I have decided that it would be perfectly fine by me if all the new iPhone had is a 3.7" screen. The Inspire is HUGE and I don't want something that big sitting in my skinny Jean pockets.
    I think 4 inch would still be fine depending on how tight your skinny jeans are
    09-05-2011 08:04 PM
    I think 4 inch would still be fine depending on how tight your skinny jeans are
    LOL, I think you are right that a 4" screen would be fine.
    09-06-2011 06:28 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD