So in iOS 5 there will be a new messenger app that supposed to work with not just the iPhone but the iPad and the iPod touch right? so does that mean that I can send/receive texts through only wifi on my iPhone?
    08-31-2011 09:48 AM
    No. It will use "data" as opposed to ("voice", where SMS messages are sent)... so you can sent iMessage messages whether connected via wifi or a cellular connection (3G/EDGE).
    08-31-2011 11:35 AM
    But this will only work with other iphone users correct? as of now, there is no cross-platform messaging app to connect with android/blackberry users? Do you see one in the future?
    08-31-2011 12:15 PM
    But this will only work with other iphone users correct? as of now, there is no cross-platform messaging app to connect with android/blackberry users? Do you see one in the future?
    Yes, the iMessage app is iOS only (thus, will do wifi connected iPods and connected iPads, etc) and this point, and I don't see Apple expanding it beyond that platform, personally. There are some 3rd party apps in the AppStore that claim to/do work cross platform, but they are full of their own idiosyncrasies... PingChat is one that I can think of right off...
    Last edited by Fausty82; 08-31-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    08-31-2011 01:16 PM
    It is my hope that they also include the mac platform in iMessage, would be great to be able to send messages directly from my mac to iMessage contacts. Would save me from having to look at my phone while working :-)
    08-31-2011 01:24 PM
    No. It will use "data" as opposed to ("voice", where SMS messages are sent)... so you can sent iMessage messages whether connected via wifi or a cellular connection (3G/EDGE).
    so if I'm in a room with no signal but only wifi connection I can still text a friend with an iPhone?
    08-31-2011 08:35 PM
    Should be able tootherwise iPods wouldn't work with it.
    08-31-2011 08:41 PM
    I can confirm if you are out of cellular range, but have a wifi signal, you can still send/receive iMessages.
    Jellotime91 likes this.
    08-31-2011 11:08 PM
    Samsung will launch a cross-platform texting app called 'Chat On' in September.
    09-01-2011 02:52 AM
    Samsung will launch a cross-platform texting app called 'Chat On' in September.
    There are lots of cross-platform texting apps already. That really has nothing to do with this thread.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-01-2011 06:55 AM
    Alli - If you bother reading the whole of this thread you will realise that the original poster has asked about iMessage's ability to send cross platform messages with another person replying in the negative and listing apps that do the trick.

Samsung's ChatOn is being billed as the BBM/WhatsApp/iMessage killer and will be available for all operating systems including the iOS. It is loaded with features and releases next month.

That is the only reason I listed its name here. So that the original poster knows that a good app is round the corner that can be used for cross-platform texting.

Shouldn't have been hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-02-2011 06:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD