Any truth to the rumor that there will a hybrid cdma/gsm verizon iphone 4s?
    08-20-2011 11:16 PM
    My guess would be as good as yours at this point. We're all playing "hurry up and wait" until we see one of those famous FCC reveals, or a teardown post somewhere.
    08-20-2011 11:24 PM
    Isn't the current chip in the verizon iphone 4 a hybrid? If so it would make sense and since supposedly having lte they may just need to include the different lte frequencies.
    08-20-2011 11:25 PM
    I remember a Verizon exec mentioning that the next iPhone would be a global phone. Here's the link if interested:

AppleInsider | Verizon exec suggests Apple's next iPhone will be a GSM-CDMA world phone
    08-21-2011 01:11 AM
    Isn't the current chip in the verizon iphone 4 a hybrid? If so it would make sense and since supposedly having lte they may just need to include the different lte frequencies.
    No. Currently there are separate versions for CDMA (VZW) and GSM (ATT).

But if they can do it, all iPhone(next) will have the same software level/version and the VZW whiners will finally have to stop complaining about not being treated the same as the GSM version users.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 08-21-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    08-21-2011 01:26 AM
    No. Currently there are separate versions for CDMA (VZW) and GSM (ATT).

But if they can do it, all iPhone(next) will have the same software level/version and the VZW whiners will finally have to stop complaining about not being treated the same as the GSM version users.
    I never said there wasn't seperate versions. What I was saying was that the verizon version had both gsm and cdma Verizon iPhone 4's Dual Mode GSM / CDMA Chip Suggests iPhone 5 Maybe a World Phone | Redmond Pie
    08-21-2011 11:13 AM
    If there was a hybrid version, I think Apple would save a lot of money in terms of manufacturing only one type of device, and not two; and the consumer would be happy since there will only be model which allows everyone to have the same update at the same time.
    Premium1 likes this.
    08-21-2011 01:22 PM
    I'll save you some trouble... Apple hasn't even acknowledged that there will be an iPhone 5 so until it's announced by Steve Jobs everything about the iPhone 5 is a rumor and no one here will know if there's any truth to them.
    08-21-2011 02:50 PM
    I'll save you some trouble... Apple hasn't even acknowledged that there will be an iPhone 5 so until it's announced by Steve Jobs everything about the iPhone 5 is a rumor and no one here will know if there's any truth to them.
    Obviously everything is a rumor. This gives people something to do until an official announcement is made.
    08-21-2011 03:21 PM
    Well I think there will be a hybrid gsm cdma because it would definitely save manufacturing costs. And the only reason they didn't have a hybrid with the iphone 4 is obviously because when the iphone 4 first came out it wasn't on verizon yet.
    08-21-2011 06:10 PM
    Well I think there will be a hybrid gsm cdma because it would definitely save manufacturing costs. And the only reason they didn't have a hybrid with the iphone 4 is obviously because when the iphone 4 first came out it wasn't on verizon yet.
    Agree I think if they would have came out at the same time they would have had a hybrid version. They want to make as much money they can and with making 1 version would save lots of manufacturing costs.
    08-21-2011 06:13 PM
    It would be nice to have a global iPhone instead of a crippled Verizon/Sprint versions, what good is a phone if you can't use it overseas. Given Apple's buying power they should be able to get the radio chip with CDMA/GSM in the Verizon/Sprint models and save enough cost that it doesn't cut into their profits. Of course there are still other parts of the world using CDMA as well so who knows. It would be beneficial though.
    DannyMichel likes this.
    09-10-2011 04:02 PM
    It would be nice to have a global iPhone instead of a crippled Verizon/Sprint versions, what good is a phone if you can't use it overseas. Given Apple's buying power they should be able to get the radio chip with CDMA/GSM in the Verizon/Sprint models and save enough cost that it doesn't cut into their profits. Of course there are still other parts of the world using CDMA as well so who knows. It would be beneficial though.
    The verizon version has a gsm chip in it it is just not activated!
    09-10-2011 04:05 PM
    The verizon version has a gsm chip in it it is just not activated!
    More accurate is the Qualcom radio chipset in the Verizon iPhone is GSM capable, but the rest of the phone is not set up to be GSM capable.
    09-10-2011 04:10 PM
    More accurate is the Qualcom radio chipset in the Verizon iPhone is GSM capable, but the rest of the phone is not set up to be GSM capable.
    That's what I meant to say thank you for clarifying lol
    09-10-2011 04:14 PM
    crippled is exactly the word i would use
    09-10-2011 09:24 PM
    Because most people don't go overseas with an iphone. I wouldn't call that crippled.
    09-10-2011 09:30 PM
    Because most people don't go overseas with an iphone. I wouldn't call that crippled.
    not the only reason its crippled by cdma technology
    09-10-2011 09:31 PM
    not the only reason its crippled by cdma technology
    Then how is it crippled? Because it can't do voice and data at the same time? Other than that it is the same as the at&t version.
    09-10-2011 09:42 PM
    Then how is it crippled? Because it can't do voice and data at the same time? Other than that it is the same as the at&t version.
    Ok, i'll say it again...(note: im on Verizon)
    Other than the obvios talk and surf thing-
    You cannot merge a call unless you are the original caller
    Even when a call is merged, you cannot hang up on just one of the callers
    3G is slower on Verizon
    Verizon iPhone internet won't get any faster with any newer iPhone any time soon because 4G LTE won't be available on an iphone for the next couple of years at least. AT&T however, will not only still be faster than Verizon's 3G, but it will get even faster with 3G HSPA+

CRIPPLED
    09-10-2011 09:48 PM
    3G is slower on Verizon
    Verizon iPhone internet won't get any faster with any newer iPhone any time soon because 4G LTE won't be available on an iphone for the next couple of years at least. AT&T however, will not only still be faster than Verizon's 3G, but it will get even faster with 3G HSPA+

CRIPPLED
    That's why you wait until the LTE iPhone come out. It's apple they only give you so much with each upgrade. im not sure exactly what you mean merge a call.
    09-10-2011 09:56 PM
    That's why you wait until the LTE iPhone come out. It's apple they only give you so much with each upgrade. im not sure exactly what you mean merge a call.
    yup, ill wait till 2013, but until then... CRIPPLED. merge is a 3-way call
    09-10-2011 10:04 PM
    3G is slower on Verizon

CRIPPLED
    Well said indeed. So people don't go overseas that use a Verizon phone, then why does Verizon offer any global phones in their lineup, its pretty simple to me. People go overseas that own an iPhone, people go overseas that own a BlackBerry, Android Phone, etc. Vodafone does own a good chunk of Verizon Wireless so I see a vested interest in that ability.

You are also right, about one thing though. Apple likes tiny incremental upgrades that is why this iPhone will get a camera upgrade and not much else. It will still sell like crazy but its still a joke of an upgrade. A real upgrade after 5 years would be more memory, bigger screen (say 3.7 or 3.8 inches) something more than a camera.
    DannyMichel likes this.
    09-10-2011 10:59 PM
    Raptor007

Apple has never done a single incremental upgrade to the iPhone. You clearly have no idea what you're saying. Every iPhone upgrade they have done has been pretty effing big.
    09-11-2011 05:36 AM
    Raptor007

Apple has never done a single incremental upgrade to the iPhone. You clearly have no idea what you're saying. Every iPhone upgrade they have done has been pretty effing big.
    my predictions:
    i think we all know the screen will be slightly larger
    the body wont be thinner
    better camera - it has to be 8mpx
    cdma much slower than the gsm ones
    slightly faster processor
    09-11-2011 06:00 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD