Hybrid CDMA/GSM iPhone 5

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, i'll say it again...(note: im on Verizon)
Other than the obvios talk and surf thing-
You cannot merge a call unless you are the original caller
Even when a call is merged, you cannot hang up on just one of the callers
3G is slower on Verizon
Verizon iPhone internet won't get any faster with any newer iPhone any time soon because 4G LTE won't be available on an iphone for the next couple of years at least. AT&T however, will not only still be faster than Verizon's 3G, but it will get even faster with 3G HSPA+

CRIPPLED

That's why you wait until the LTE iPhone come out. It's apple they only give you so much with each upgrade. im not sure exactly what you mean merge a call.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, i'll say it again...(note: im on Verizon)
Other than the obvios talk and surf thing-
You cannot merge a call unless you are the original caller
Even when a call is merged, you cannot hang up on just one of the callers
3G is slower on Verizon
Verizon iPhone internet won't get any faster with any newer iPhone any time soon because 4G LTE won't be available on an iphone for the next couple of years at least. AT&T however, will not only still be faster than Verizon's 3G, but it will get even faster with 3G HSPA+

CRIPPLED

Well said indeed. So people don't go overseas that use a Verizon phone, then why does Verizon offer any global phones in their lineup, its pretty simple to me. People go overseas that own an iPhone, people go overseas that own a BlackBerry, Android Phone, etc. Vodafone does own a good chunk of Verizon Wireless so I see a vested interest in that ability.

You are also right, about one thing though. Apple likes tiny incremental upgrades that is why this iPhone will get a camera upgrade and not much else. It will still sell like crazy but its still a joke of an upgrade. A real upgrade after 5 years would be more memory, bigger screen (say 3.7 or 3.8 inches) something more than a camera.

Reactions: DannyMichel

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Raptor007

Apple has never done a single incremental upgrade to the iPhone. You clearly have no idea what you're saying. Every iPhone upgrade they have done has been pretty effing big.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Raptor007

Apple has never done a single incremental upgrade to the iPhone. You clearly have no idea what you're saying. Every iPhone upgrade they have done has been pretty effing big.

my predictions:
i think we all know the screen will be slightly larger
the body wont be thinner
better camera - it has to be 8mpx
cdma much slower than the gsm ones
slightly faster processor

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Raptor007

To you they have been pretty "effing" big, to me they have not been enough until iP4, and then I bailed due to the crappy carrier. I have owned MAC's since the early Apple IIE, IIC era and forward, I have owned iPods, iPads, MBP (PowerPC and Intel), iMac's and Displays so I do know Apple products. Its a phone, the design may be "effing" big, but what has been done year after year is incremental. It took 4 years to get a great display (that's incremental), it took 2 years to get 3G, 4 years to get on CDMA.

So if we get 16/32GB options in Black & White (if they get it out on time) with the same display size & resolution and the ONLY change is the camera then its not "effing" big now is it.

I am not bashing it, but I am also not a sheep, the phone costs big money and I do expect big improvements. That is my personal take on it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
To you they have been pretty "effing" big, to me they have not been enough until iP4, and then I bailed due to the crappy carrier. I have owned MAC's since the early Apple IIE, IIC era and forward, I have owned iPods, iPads, MBP (PowerPC and Intel), iMac's and Displays so I do know Apple products. Its a phone, the design may be "effing" big, but what has been done year after year is incremental. It took 4 years to get a great display (that's incremental), it took 2 years to get 3G, 4 years to get on CDMA.

So if we get 16/32GB options in Black & White (if they get it out on time) with the same display size & resolution and the ONLY change is the camera then its not "effing" big now is it.

I am not bashing it, but I am also not a sheep, the phone costs big money and I do expect big improvements. That is my personal take on it.

I agree with what you are saying. Maybe to jello it was huge upgrades but really they weren't. I hope the i5 is as huge as an upgrade as the i4 was from the 3gs.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely with you redraider133. I just want the best hardware period and I want to see Apple push themselves to release the best hardware but they cannot live on the same footprint 5+ years later. Its time to make that next big jump, I do agree with what many say it likely won't be this year (disappointing) but I do hope for a screen bump and memory bump if nothing else. Since I will be paying full retail I do want a BIG reason to buy this year instead of using what I have as a hold over phone to keep my unlimited data plan going.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree completely with you redraider133. I just want the best hardware period and I want to see Apple push themselves to release the best hardware but they cannot live on the same footprint 5+ years later. Its time to make that next big jump, I do agree with what many say it likely won't be this year (disappointing) but I do hope for a screen bump and memory bump if nothing else. Since I will be paying full retail I do want a BIG reason to buy this year instead of using what I have as a hold over phone to keep my unlimited data plan going.

Wait so you are in contract with unlimited data which means you already have a smart phone, so why not keep that rather than paying full retail? Seems like a waste to spend money on something you don't really want.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Bravo my friend!
Not a sheep!
I couldn't have said it better myself!
You're my favorite person on this forum.
Where were you when the sheep were all bashing me for saying what's obvious about iphones on Verizon?

I took some time off from the forums. I guess for the same reason I stopped listening to the MacBreak Weekly Podcast, they simply spend the entire time trashing everyone else's products. Yes Apple makes great products and frankly so DO many other mfg's. Sometimes its about focusing your energies elsewhere.

Glad to be back in the fray though.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Wait so you are in contract with unlimited data which means you already have a smart phone, so why not keep that rather than paying full retail? Seems like a waste to spend money on something you don't really want.

Who said I don't really want an iphone, I certainly haven't. In fact I would like to get one again, but for me it has to be worth it. I am looking for something better than the iPhone 4 and I don't see why that is a horrible thing to ask for. Better radio's, better display, better storage, better camera, something better over all. The real question is White or Black. I always get Black phones so maybe a white iPhone this time, but I really would like 64GB of storage (which is going to be necessary even with iCloud/iTunes Match).

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Who said I don't really want an iphone, I certainly haven't. In fact I would like to get one again, but for me it has to be worth it. I am looking for something better than the iPhone 4 and I don't see why that is a horrible thing to ask for. Better radio's, better display, better storage, better camera, something better over all. The real question is White or Black. I always get Black phones so maybe a white iPhone this time, but I really would like 64GB of storage (which is going to be necessary even with iCloud/iTunes Match).

You said if it didn't have lte you wouldn't buy it. It isn't a horrible thing to ask for that is what people expect it to be worth upgrading for and be better than the i4.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I took some time off from the forums. I guess for the same reason I stopped listening to the MacBreak Weekly Podcast, they simply spend the entire time trashing everyone else's products. Yes Apple makes great products and frankly so DO many other mfg's. Sometimes its about focusing your energies elsewhere.

Glad to be back in the fray though.

Well it's fantastic to see someone like you here. The sheer NUMBER of sheep who have the same opinion...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
You said if it didn't have lte you wouldn't buy it. It isn't a horrible thing to ask for that is what people expect it to be worth upgrading for and be better than the i4.

Personal choices and opinions do change, and by better radios I am referring to ones that don't drop calls. Yes I want LTE, but I also recognize Apple isn't going to do it and should have conceded that fact early on. Apple doesn't jump on new technology, they in fact wait for everyone else to do it, take what they did and improve on it (aka rip it off).

Given the rumor of a global iPhone so they only have to make one version for all networks they are likely waiting for LTE radios to be better suited for their designs. Sucks big time, but its their ball.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
That is what I thought you were saying, but I wasn't sure. My apologies if I came across the wrong way. I like to try out different devices, OS's and see what I can get the most out of. Its shocking how a cult mentality can be formed around anything today.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
That is what I thought you were saying, but I wasn't sure. My apologies if I came across the wrong way. I like to try out different devices, OS's and see what I can get the most out of. Its shocking how a cult mentality can be formed around anything today.
I agree, but i think it's further encouraged when 1 or more of the leaders of the cult are people in power on a forum or irc channel.
I also believe iPhone users should hear objective, unbiassed opinions and facts on their products. Just more credible that way